Intake Manifold - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-22-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
ekinley98
2004 WJ 

Garage
Wj Intake Manifold

My 2004 WJ has been whistling since the day I bought it and its finally time to replace the manifold gasket. My fuel mileage has been going down hill to rock bottom (12 MPG Highway) and it also ticks when its cold out, which to me sounds like an exhaust leak and running seafoam the other week also confirmed the exhaust leak. But, over the last week its gotten pretty bad I'm getting fuel trims that are weird (LTFT 1 +7.0 at idle and LTFT 2 -3.0 at idle, LTFT 1 -9.8 on highway when coasting and LTFT 2 -14.0 on high way when coasting.) I just thought this was the manifold issue messing with fuel so I ordered the gasket and will be putting it on in a few days. But today my idle was dropping down to almost 500 RPM at redlights and felt like it wanted to stall but it has felt like it had more power the last few days. I took a video that shows how loud the 4.0 really is at idle and how the rough idle that comes with it. I was also looking at the manifold bolts that are a pain to get to and for some reason it looks like I'm missing one.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0026[1115].jpg   IMG_0017[1113].jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-22-2017, 07:31 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
You sure that video isn't of my Jeep? Sounds exactly like that. I only became aware an exhaust leak could sound like that a couple weeks ago. I've been too busy getting my ducks in a row to tackle a rear diff clunk & dealing with an electrical issue for the last month to take a good look and check.

Project Thumper:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-22-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
ekinley98
2004 WJ 

Garage
The salesman got me when I went to go look at it, he had the jeep already warmed up so it wouldn't whistle and wouldn't tick. Then the next day found out I'm the new owner of a giant tea kettle

post #4 of 4 Old 09-25-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
ekinley98
2004 WJ 

Garage
So after 2 days of suffering I'm still at the same place I began but on the opposite end. I got the gasket replaced in about 8 hours with cleaning and making sure everything was perfect. After going to start the jeep I had the red line issue immeditally after starting and I found out my rear stud didn't go into the manifold. I tore it all apart and had it all together in like 3 hours this time but now it still idles higher than normal (1300 rpm when warmed up, 1800 when cold) and it was smoking at first which I'm blaming on the massive amount of pb blaster I used. It drives fine and in gear it will idle at 1000 rpm. The smoke has cut down a lot but in park it still idles high and the STFT for both the banks are in the high negatives -15+ but normal at speed. I think this is due to me getting PB blaster and carb cleaner inside the intake manifold when I was cleaning it and its just burning off. But if anyone has any suggestions to what else it could be in the mean time if it doesn't eventually go away. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.