Install of Bilstein shocks and OME half inch spacers - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Install of Bilstein shocks and OME half inch spacers

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #16
CLUBSFIT
2003 WJ 

I have 3 3/4" on stock arms, and rides fine. Only issue is not as much caster as I would like, but nothing real noticeable. I have the Fox (BDS) shocks, and have zero clunks, and they fit perfect. I am running the JKS bar pin eliminators in the front only.

Unread 06-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
Terminal
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLUBSFIT View Post
I have 3 3/4" on stock arms, and rides fine. Only issue is not as much caster as I would like, but nothing real noticeable. I have the Fox (BDS) shocks, and have zero clunks, and they fit perfect. I am running the JKS bar pin eliminators in the front only.

Hey, I was wondering, can you take a side picture of your front drive shaft where it connects to the transfer case? I want see how bad that angle is. I'm wanting to lift mine, too, but there are a lot factors I'm concerned with.

Also, a side snapshot view of your jeep using the camera centered with the rear axle so you can still see the quarter panel. I want to see how bad your axles are off with stock control arms.
Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #18
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminal View Post
Hey, I was wondering, can you take a side picture of your front drive shaft where it connects to the transfer case? I want see how bad that angle is. I'm wanting to lift mine, too, but there are a lot factors I'm concerned with.

Also, a side snapshot view of your jeep using the camera centered with the rear axle so you can still see the quarter panel. I want to see how bad your axles are off with stock control arms.
Talk to Kolak (his name is Nick). He is the Guru of the WJ and he is who sells a LOT of satisfied people on this forum their lifts (among many other things). Satisfied not only by the price but also because he will talk with you about any concerns you have and help you through it all. He will also work with you to get you the best possible setup within your budget.

If you get a good adjustable track bar (JKS) and extended rear sway bar links, you'll be fine up to 4 inches of lift. Basically what he told me was that 4" is where it practically drops off like a cliff, meaning you're fine up to that point, but anything higher will pretty much require other components (especially adjustable control arms and rear a-arm spacer) to avoid death wobble and bad wear on components.

Of course, any amount of lift will cause some increased wear on stock components and shorted their life to some degree (you'll probably have to replace things like tie rod ends, ball joints, certain bushings, etc, a little sooner) but you shouldn't have much issue under 4", other than the lift sooner wearing out components that were already on their last legs. One issue is the front drive shaft, though. Depending on the type you have, if may wear. I don't think it is usually much of an issue until you get to 4"+, but you may need to sooner upgrade or replace if you have a double cardan CV shaft.

Really, just talk to Kolak. He will answer any questions you have an will most likely put your mind at ease if you want to go with a 3 or 3.5" lift and let you know what you'll need for a 4"+ lift.
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.