Install of Bilstein shocks and OME half inch spacers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Install of Bilstein shocks and OME half inch spacers

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Install of Bilstein shocks and OME half inch spacers

Hey guys yesterday my buddies and I installed some fresh Bilsteins 5100 series from Kolak that he has on sale. Before I had Rough country nitros pair with my IRO 3 inch coil lift setup with only 3 inch sway bar end links in the rear. I run General Grabber AT2s 265/70R17 setup. I also had JKS front bar pin eliminators in the front with the nitros. So we installed the Bilsteins, also fresh all four lower isolators and installed the OMU spacers that are just a shy away from a 1/2 inch. We also installed the front IRO front bump stop extensions in the front at 3 inches. I did not get to install the rear because I did not have the tap set and drill bit needed to install them and need to wait till I get paid this week. Took the jeep out after the install all my clunking and rough ride were gone. I feel like I am back in my old E34 5 series when I had bilsteins installed on that. No comparison well worth the money and I am so pleased. I also feel less swaying in the turns and less body roll too. I just got back from going to the dump and its like riding on a fire service road. Old shocks were just plain horrible and rough and loud. Today with the bilsteins it was like riding on glass. I do have some questions w 3.5 inches. While I did take some measurements and I did gain .5 inches all around I still wanna put in the KOR 3/4 spacers. Do you guys think that is possible with stock arms? Also we could not for the life of us take out the Bilstein ball bins to install the JKS bar pin eliminators the only way we thought of was to A press them out (no press of bench vice on a late saturday night) or B burn them out and install new poly bushings or C do I even need to install the bar bin eliminators?

Thank you to my friends, Kolak and everyone on Jeep fourms.

Here are some pictures sorry only one of the process but hey we have all seen it done before. Also my DD Acura Integra is in the background!

- 2003 WJ Limited 4.7L 4x4, 3 inch IRO coil lift with Bilstein shocks, OME .5 inch spacers, adjustable IRO Track Bar. Beefy Tenneco Steering Stabilizer. 32 inch General Grabber AT2's, 5000k DDM Tuning HID lights. Magna Flow Cat-back exhaust system. Rola safari rack. IRO bump stops. Kevin's Offroad 2 1/4 A-Arm spacer.
bmandubj10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Man I love white WJs. Looks great. Won't want to stack spacers.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWJ View Post
Man I love white WJs. Looks great. Won't want to stack spacers.
Thank you very much I love the white as well, I put in Laredo headlights because I like the contrast. I am going to paint these wheels black as well. I have seen others on here stack a 3/4 kor spacers with the omu spacers before with no issues on IRO 3 inch springs. What I would not do is put a 2.5 BB then omu spacers then the kor 3/4 spacers to me that is stacking spacers. Anybody else have any thoughts I am welcome to them.
- 2003 WJ Limited 4.7L 4x4, 3 inch IRO coil lift with Bilstein shocks, OME .5 inch spacers, adjustable IRO Track Bar. Beefy Tenneco Steering Stabilizer. 32 inch General Grabber AT2's, 5000k DDM Tuning HID lights. Magna Flow Cat-back exhaust system. Rola safari rack. IRO bump stops. Kevin's Offroad 2 1/4 A-Arm spacer.
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Bump for assistance.
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
narnwv

2000 WJ 

-don't stack spacers.
-your ride is going to suffer with stock arms and going any higher
-at 3 3/4", you want to follow the guide in the FAQ for 4" of lift. (adjustable trackbar, a-arm spacer required at a bare minimum)

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
-don't stack spacers.
-your ride is going to suffer with stock arms and going any higher
-at 3 3/4", you want to follow the guide in the FAQ for 4" of lift. (adjustable trackbar, a-arm spacer required at a bare minimum)

Thank you I will not stack spacers. Do you have the Bilsteins installed I was more concerned with moving the JKS ball pin eliminators over to them?
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Use a vise to hold bar pin. Twist and pull till it comes out. PITA but it works. May want to grab new bushings as you may tear them. Only like $5 for energy poly bushings.
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Use a vise to hold bar pin. Twist and pull till it comes out. PITA but it works. May want to grab new bushings as you may tear them. Only like $5 for energy poly bushings.
Thank you do you think I even need to do that? I was gonna just leave them out for now and if I need them take it apart and use a vise.
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

My father in law let me borrow his dye and punch set from back in the day. Now I just gotta get a T size drill bit or 23/64 size which i can get at Lowes! After that I can install the rear bump stop extensions since it requires you to drill new holes for IRO bolts.
20130604_211304.jpg  
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmandubj10 View Post

Thank you do you think I even need to do that? I was gonna just leave them out for now and if I need them take it apart and use a vise.
You don't NEED to until they wear and make noise. You do get more downtravel from your shocks with the BPE. It's only about a .5"
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
You don't NEED to until they wear and make noise. You do get more downtravel from your shocks with the BPE. It's only about a .5"
Thank you MuddyWJ!
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

No problem. I'm currently waiting to install mine.
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Update, still got the good old rear end WJ shock clunk. Frustrating, gonna tightening all back up since I have gone 100 miles and put some washers with the upper shock bolts.
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:24 AM   #14
ADragg
2003 WJ 

As soon as my dang OME springs get here from Kolak, I'll be installing the same basic setup you have, including the OME spacers (by the way, did you even see any noticeable difference in height after installing them or is it too subtle?). So they go between the metal frame/spring perch and the isolator, right? Not between the isolator and the spring? That's the only way that makes sense to me, since the spring needs to be able to make contact with the isolator to "seat" it, and that's the way it looks like you have it in your picture. However, I can't seem to see the back spacer. I assume it also goes between the "spring perch" and the isolator also? And does it go on the top or bottom in the back. Since I can't see it in the picture, it looks like maybe it goes below the spring in the back and above the spring in the front??

By the way, I don't know if you noticed on the package that one pair of the OME spacers is specifically for the WJ and the other pair says "TJ" because it's actually made for the TJ and they just use that one for the WJ since I guess it's the same size the WJ needs. Do you remember if the "TJ" spacers went on the front or the rear?? And if not, was it easy enough to determine which pair was for the front and which was for the back?

Thanks for the help, can't wait to get all of these parts installed on my WJ, which is also a white 2003 Limited 4.7 Quadra Drive!! haha I also have the same Rogue wheels as you, but I've got some black Plasti-dip stuff going on and am in the process of a "chrome delete" (black Plasti-dip on all chrome logos, wheels, etc.) As soon as I get the lift on and can get my new tires installed, I will be Plastidipping the stock Rogue wheels black as well. Your Jeep looks real good.

Here's a picture of mine, still pre-lift, of course:

P.S. - Damn, I really need some black Laredo lights like yours or some black aftermarket projectors to complete the look and get rid of the chrome Limited headlights.
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:30 AM   #15
ADragg
2003 WJ 

By the way, completely forgot to mention that KOR sells a kit that fixes the common WJ rear shock clunk. I was hoping it wouldn't apply with Bilsteins since I though, of all companies, they would have gotten the size right. But anyway, KOR has a kit that (if I remember correctly) comes with new bushing sleeves and new hardware that is the correct size. Apparently all aftermarket shocks aren't quite the right size and the KOR setup is supposed to fix any aftermarket shock so they fit perfectly right and don't clunk anymore. I'd look into that, it's the only thing I know of that fixes the usual aftermarket rear shock clunk.
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.