Inspecting control arm bushings? How? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Inspecting control arm bushings? How?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
rlordjr
2004 WJ 

Wj Inspecting control arm bushings? How?

I have a front end situation which has me wanting to inspect and look for worn/torn control arm bushings. When these bushings wear out, get loose, etc, can that be seen without removing them? I'll look at both UCA and LCA and it would sure help if I knew what to look for.

Is there a way to test them using a jack and jackstands?

Thanks

rlordjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Your best bet is to drop one end at a time. Unless the bushing is completely shot and separated to some extent, you really can't inspect too well in place. Looks for cracks, and especially any tears.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Like Skain said, I would take one out at a time to inspect. Leave the car on flat and level surface with wheels on. Remove and apply some shear stress and hope it doesn't look like mine i just replaced that are less than a year old.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.