Input Needed - I'm writing a Winter Weather 101 thread. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Input Needed - I'm writing a Winter Weather 101 thread.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #46
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
PS: Sorry for mucking up your thread, ChrisHager!
No problem! I agree in that it's still winter related!

For those waiting for me to finish it up, I'm still hoping to get it out today. I'm waiting on my proofreader to get off work and proofread! I've gone over it multiple times but it's nice to have someone with a different amount of experience and knowledge look it over - ensures I didn't write it too 'duh' or too technical.

Thanks for not throwing sticks at me!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #47
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

A Viper alarm with remote start is a Nice winter aditiona to your Jeep, it can also Control the rear defogger, heated seats, and more, 2way FOB , with cabin temp check function, also provide 1 mile range, very convinient, no more ice scraping or cold Cabin at entry, also have some "smart" features like, smart start for heating, set your lowest temp input, if Cabin reach that limit, Jeep Will start and keep the temp above your setting.
And low battery voltage smart start, if set, and jeep sits for extended periods, And jeep's battery voltage goes below set limit, Jeep Will smart start and charge battery.
These Are very smart features if Jeep sits for extended periods, or under really cold conditions. It also gave a GPS function to locate your Jeep if you cant find it in all the snow.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #48
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Wow! I didn't realize they had that kind of technology!

While the remote start is very nice, I recently learned there are many states/areas where they will not allow idling your vehicle for extended amounts of time... I do agree they are wonderful if you don't have a garage to park in though!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #49
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
Wow! I didn't realize they had that kind of technology!

While the remote start is very nice, I recently learned there are many states/areas where they will not allow idling your vehicle for extended amounts of time... I do agree they are wonderful if you don't have a garage to park in though!
Hi hi, i know its crazy, still sitting, waiting for the idatalink to fool the skim, might install this weekend, i have a thread going on about it for those who Are int.
Will report further.

http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProduc...ItemCode=5704V
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #50
MoabWJ
1999 WJ 

I have spent the last 5 winters in the Colorado Rockies. I live in some isolated areas, and have slid in the ditch a few times. Granted, I typically drive my truck (Ford F-350-daily driver) before the WJ (the project)... Here's my suggestions to all...

Emergency Kit/Supplies
Gear in my winter kit-I pack enough to be out for up to two days unassisted- sits in a rubbermaid bin in the truck and Jeep:

*2x MRE
*4x bottles water
1 gallon gas
extra oil
extra rad fluid
winter (0 degree) sleeping bag
cell phone charger
collapsible shovel
tow strap
p-cord (could also use bungee straps)
1x change of clothes- cold weather thermal layer (top and bottoms)
2x socks- keep your feet warm!
hat and gloves
book or papers of some sort-- in case you need to burn something... and to keep entertained
* per person- factor more food and water for anyone besides the driver*

suggestions/differences:
jet-boil or similar
canned food/non-perishible

WJ Preparation
This is pretty simple- keep the rig maintained- engine and trans oil, wipers (winter type), tires, fluids.

Driving tips for when you are actually out and about.
Slow Down! Jeeps are easy to keep moving, its stopping thats problematic for vehicles

What to do in an emergency if you get stuck or stranded.
Been here a few times. Depends on conditions, and why stuck or stranded: Generally, stay in the vehicle- its easier to keep warm in a smaller space than in the open
Beware of plow trucks- they can hit or bury your rig
Depending on snow height- if the snow is as deep or deeper than the vehicle is tall, vent the windows to allow for air flow
Do not run the vehicle unless needed for warmth or charging phones, etc-- save the fuel and battery.

Special Equipment (snow chains, studded tires (illegal in most areas), snow tires)
Get and keep chains in the vehicle- I have had to use them both in the summer (for mud) and winter. I have chains for all 4 tires. Yes, you have to go slower, but its the winter- Slow Down!
MoabWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #51
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Winter Weather 101

Here it is! I wanted to get it out to everyone since the weather is well on its way! There are a few sections I may add to as they feel a little weak but the important information is ready to go!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #52
Jeepers21
2004 WJ 

Wanted to add a little "winter survival" thought. I use a magnetic "hide a key" to hold a lighter on the under side. In the event that your lock freezes, you can use the lighter to carefully warm up the key and then able to melt any frozen water that may become trapped in the lock cylinder. To head off the comments (yes KEYLESS ENTRY, I know) but you never know when you'll need some type of fire starter out in the cold. My thoughts... better to be prepared than not.
Jeepers21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.