Input Needed - I'm writing a Winter Weather 101 thread. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Input Needed - I'm writing a Winter Weather 101 thread.

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #31
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

On the list! I've used kitty litter as ice grip and oil dry for years. A friend of mine thought I was joking when I had my wife pick up a couple of the cheapest bags of kitty litter she could find for the garage. He was shocked to see how well it worked, yet still gave me crap for not buying 'real' oil dry.

ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #32
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Oil Dry = Most expensive cat litter on the planet

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
funkduck
2002 WJ 

The most recent build in my garage is sponsored by Special Kitty Racing Litter

Unread 10-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #34
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

So where's the thread already?
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #35
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Hey now! Some of us are busy folks!

I have most of it complied in regards to adding this information to my list. I have a few more things I want to research but hope to get it out this week. I do feel bad that it's been so long since I started this thread!

Hang tight fellas! I'm hurrying (trying to beat the snow)!
Unread 10-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #36
Akjeep92
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post

Hang tight fellas! I'm hurrying (trying to beat the snow)!
haha well too late for us folks in Alaska. Its here already.
Back on topic though, just my two cents:

-no matter how big your tires, how high your lift is, or 4x4, it wont help braking. Ive seen countless Giant lifted trucks stuck in the snow banks; usually first ones to see there.

-Think always of worst case scenerio-keep food, med kit, tool kit, warmth, clothing, tow straps, jumper cables, BOTTLE OF WASHER FLUID (best idea ever), anything and everything that might be needed in emergency.

-Someone said earlier about changing oil (if time comes) to thinner in winter. Ive always gone to a thinner oil, especially when it gets down to 30 below, it helps the engine get going for sure.

-cat litter, sandbags, gravel, or even chains can help give you traction in times of need. I carry a large chain "borrowed" from work in my wj in winter. Tossing it under the wheels help get some traction going.

-When coming to a stop, like someone said earlier, I like to shift into Neutral. Stops the drive train forward pull.

-Lastly, here in AK at least, many folks put a piece of cardboard or something similar in front of the radiator. Dont cover it completely, but partially so the engine heats up better and keeps at good temps. Negative temps tend to keep the temp lower than wanted.

Cant think of much else, cant wait to see the final outcome.
Unread 10-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #37
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Good stuff.

I think I have it all together. I want to proofread it a few times (going to make my brothers look over it as well since I've been looking at it so much) then post it up. Should have it up this afternoon! :fingerscrossed:
Unread 10-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #38
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Got some winter related Stuff done to the Jeep today,

Bought:
Jumper cables,
Tow strap 4 ton,
"emergency" washer fluid.

Fixed:
Check level transfluid, ok,
Check level engine Oil, ok, added 1dl,
Check freezing temp Coolant, -30C, ok,
Silicon spray all door seals, to prevent freeze up.
Lock Oil in door Locks.

And i bought the best winter tire EVER, they provide awsome traction on water and black ice, not got to rear them on snow yet.
Jeep is good prepared for a harsh winter now.
Just need a kick A.. Shovel though.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #39
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Just need a kick A.. Shovel though.
I have a folding Gerber E-tool ($44) in the back seat pocket at all times and carry a cheap shorty flat-blade shovel (better for scraping roads) when it's snowy. Really impressed with the E-tool in snow, used it to dig out a whole campsite and it cuts snow and ice like nothing. And its not too big you get worn out lifting heavy show.
Unread 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #40
BrownWJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

A bottle of isopropyl alcohol allows you to freeze protect non winter washer fluid and helps remove frost ice from the windshield. Just put a pinhole in the paper seal and spray on the windshield.

Narrow tires give more bite. ( for snow)
Wide tires give more float. (For mud/sand)
Unread 10-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #41
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1

I have a folding Gerber E-tool ($44) in the back seat pocket at all times and carry a cheap shorty flat-blade shovel (better for scraping roads) when it's snowy. Really impressed with the E-tool in snow, used it to dig out a whole campsite and it cuts snow and ice like nothing. And its not too big you get worn out lifting heavy show.
Thats what i am talking about, that thing is sweet, can be used as an axe also, right???
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 10-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #42
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Sort of. It's got a serrated edge. http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-30-0000...folding+shovel

PS: Sorry for mucking up your thread, ChrisHager!
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #43
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Its a shovel thread now, its still on topic, its winter emergency related.
I was looking at something like this, yours is kick A to,

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=j7Edh...dhnReYH0&gl=NO

Unread 10-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #44
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I like the fold-up handle since it tucks into the map pocket like it's not even there. Both are good choices though, just telling you what swayed my buying decision. First aid kit + emergency shovel in one pocket, electrical repair parts and tools in the other.
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #45
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
I like the fold-up handle since it tucks into the map pocket like it's not even there. Both are good choices though, just telling you what swayed my buying decision. First aid kit + emergency shovel in one pocket, electrical repair parts and tools in the other.
Yes its very handy with the fold up handle, price wasnt to bad either.

Tags
driving , ice , information , snow , winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.