Input Needed - I'm writing a Winter Weather 101 thread. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Input Needed - I'm writing a Winter Weather 101 thread.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Input Needed - I'm writing a Winter Weather 101 thread.

Since the weather is turning, many threads are starting to pop up about winter preparation and driving. Every year, these threads come out and they all have good advice in them. Ironically, they aren't always full of the same information like others threads tend to be. It's easy to advise people to search but since there can be so much variance in each thread, I'm going to compile everyone's thoughts and expertise on this subject into a Winter Weather 101 thread.

I have a good start so far but since I'm at it, let's make it worth while!

So far, I have subjects kind of aiming at categories like:

Emergency Kit/Supplies

WJ Preparation

Information about the 4x4 Systems and how they work in Snow/Ice (Locker information will fall in this category). This isn't aimed at 'How They Work'. Billzcat1 covered that quite well in his Buyer's Guide. Locker discussion was covered well in a write up by Jerry Bransford. This is more aimed at how these systems will work in slick conditions and advice on how to use them if you aren't certain (ex. 4WD Part-Time vs 4WD Full-Time and which to use at what given time).

Driving tips for when you are actually out and about.

What to do in an emergency if you get stuck or stranded.

Special Equipment (snow chains, studded tires (illegal in most areas), snow tires)

Perhaps an entire category on Snow Tires vs Highway/Mud/AT Tires.

Anyway, please help me compile information. If I need to add more categories, throw 'em at me! Your information/thoughts/experiences for each category? I'm all ears!

Thanks everyone!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
pileofAces
2000 WJ 

I'm excited! cant wait to read. I think you covered most of the important catagories...
pileofAces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Mabey talk about lights, I see to many people in white out condition driving with every possible light on at night and all they can see is a white wall.
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
thinde88
2003 WJ 

Tip #1: 4 wheel drive doesnt help with stopping.
thinde88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Here's my Phoenix winter driving advice: Give yourself a little extra time to get where your'e going. It's Snowbird season and the seasonal residents just can't seem to figure out how to press their gas pedal down enough to meet the speed limit, plus they'll undoubtedly be congesting the roads as they struggle to comprehend our grid of streets and avenues.

Also, enjoy the improved fuel economy you'll get by finally shutting off the air conditioner and rolling down those windows, now that the weather's getting nice!
Unread 10-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkduck View Post
Here's my Phoenix winter driving advice: Give yourself a little extra time to get where your'e going. It's Snowbird season and the seasonal residents just can't seem to figure out how to press their gas pedal down enough to meet the speed limit, plus they'll undoubtedly be congesting the roads as they struggle to comprehend our grid of streets and avenues.

Also, enjoy the improved fuel economy you'll get by finally shutting off the air conditioner and rolling down those windows, now that the weather's getting nice!
Wait Phoenix gets snow? that is Arizona right? Oh and hard to roll the windows down when its -10 degrees!
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkduck View Post
Actually, in states that get actual snow/winter weather, the fuel mixture changes to "winter blend", and we get worse mileage.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Anyone have thoughts on using a lighter oil in winter?

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboarder27 View Post
Wait Phoenix gets snow? that is Arizona right? Oh and hard to roll the windows down when its -10 degrees!
No, we get Snowbirds... people from colder states who come here for the winter, but who fail to follow common "when in Rome" etiquette and seem to have a terminal fear of applying pressure to their gas pedal - a trait which combines with their lack of comprehension of our grid-like roads to produce extra-long commutes for all full time Arizona residents.
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

MS and AT all year tires Will never perform as good as a dedicated winter tire.
Get yourself some really good tires, you Will not find more traction than your tires alows you to.
Check freezing temp Coolant, check battery, Oil all door Locks, Get a towstrap, jumping cables, silicon spray door rubber seals...... Before winter.

Most important GO PLAY in the snow, learn to know how your vehicle behave, lose Control and Get it back again.
Commom driver mistake when start slide, is to brake, the 4x4 and especially QD Will find traction and pull its Way in again if you hit and keep the Throttle down and use the steering wheel to point your front wheels towards where you need to Go, when you find the perfect balance of drifting its really funny.

Thats my best winter tip from Norway, good luck, GO PLAY!!!!

Sent from my Iphone4
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #11
4x4xM
2003 WJ 

Carry an extra bottle of washer fluid. I once used a whole bottle going 50 miles between two gas stations. Freezing rain was over an inch thick where the wipers couldn't touch. Also, trucks throw a lot of dirty snow up when you pass them. I keep a blanket & sleeping bag in the jeep through the whole winter too.
4x4xM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
scottwpa
2001 WJ 

re

To some this is obvious, to others, well they have a tough time grasping it. I was always taught when driving on icey roads no matter how many wheel drive you have 4,6 10, your tires will spin until they find something to grab. I get a kick outta folks who say "Don`t worry I have 4wheel drive... usually they end up finding the ditch or worse.
scottwpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

As a note studded snow tires are legal in Pennsylvania from November to March. In my area the dates for winter blend fuels are November 15 to March 15. I also think those dates are for the studs too.

I don't put mine on the cummins untill first snow.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
scottwpa
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
As a note studded snow tires are legal in Pennsylvania from November to March. In my area the dates for winter blend fuels are November 15 to March 15. I also think those dates are for the studs too.

I don't put mine on the cummins untill first snow.
We don`t seem to get much snow around here, I just bought my Jeep this summer, but honestly I bet I used 4wd in my truck maybe 5 times in the last 5 years and thats without any weight in the bed. No reason for studs around these parts.
scottwpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwpa

We don`t seem to get much snow around here, I just bought my Jeep this summer, but honestly I bet I used 4wd in my truck maybe 5 times in the last 5 years and thats without any weight in the bed. No reason for studs around these parts.
Last year was the first winter I didn't put them on in about 12 years. And I'll be honest when I say I like the grand Cherokee in the snow better then my cummins.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
driving , ice , information , snow , winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.