Immobiliser 1999 grand cherokee please help me please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Immobiliser 1999 grand cherokee please help me please

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
ALEXANDER666

Immobiliser 1999 grand cherokee please help me please

Hello

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME

i have a jeep grand cherokee 1999

I came home from work yesterday, turned it off and this morning when I came out to go to work it won't start. When I turn the key it will try to turn over but it just won't start.

I noticed there is a key with a slash symbol lit up on the dash. I was told this is the anti-theft device in the car. I was also told there is a way to reset the key to the vehicle by using the key in a series of events like unlocking the door a number of times, etc. Was wondering if anyone had any idea how to do this?

i dont have the money for dealers

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE HELP ME

ALEXANDER666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Nope, no series of unlocking/locking or anything can help on a WJ. Some other chrysler models use that method, but not WJ's.

Unfortunately, your only option is to tow it to a stealership. Or, supposedly there are a few lock smiths that carry a DRBIII scan tool. If you find one, they can help you too.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Just curious why you automatically assume its the key?

Could be many other things..

First thing I would do is check for engine codes. Auto parts stores do it for free, but since it wont start try to get a scanner or do it yourself.

Might just be a bad sensor..

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Look at the above link.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
I noticed there is a key with a slash symbol lit up on the dash.
This is why he is assuming the SKIS is the problem...and he would be correct.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
skullysXJ
2001 WJ 

Yeah it's def the SKIS. I bought my wj about 6 weeks ago and the guy I bought it from had a spare but I have the same problem with my spare it will unlock the car and all but it wont start it. Dealership or certain locksmiths are your options.
~KADE~ kool kid klub #1
08 JKU Rubicon
skullysXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
Falkon
2004 WJ 

If it's the key, it will start, run about 2 seconds and then shut off. The key symbol is always on during start.
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
This is why he is assuming the SKIS is the problem...and he would be correct.
Theres also a code thrown for this specific problem, pulling the codes would confirm this or not.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
southstar
2003 WJ 

Hi Guys - My GC immobilser has failed me on and off over the last 2-3 years - it really ticks me off.

Solution 1 - Remove the 50amp fuse from the enginebay fusebox for about 3-10 seconds, then replace it. That seems to work. Also seems to fix electric window winder issues.
Solution 2
It is RF related! Parking near shops that have auto-opening doors that seem to neutralise the Key Fob signal. It happened yesterday - I rolled the car away about 5-10 metres from the shop, pressed the Key Fob and bingo the immobilser de-activated and I was able to start the engine. Hope this helps.
southstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.