Ignition Key Stuck in Lock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ignition Key Stuck in Lock

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 07-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
terrypack1963
2002 WJ 

Wj Ignition Key Stuck in Lock

I am having problems with removing the ignition key of my 2002 WJ GC Overland (UK) this morning. I have been looking at the park lock mechanism but can find no fault there at the moment. As a side issue, but likely to be related, is that in the last week or so the electric driverís seat hasnít always been going back to the exit position when I have switched off the ignition.

I am now thinking it is definately the cylinder lock mechanism but would welcome any thoughts or advice anyone can give.

Thanks in anticipation.

terrypack1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 03:57 AM   #2
SwissWJ
2002 WJ 

Is the steering wheel locked? If so try and move it while pulling out the key
SwissWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
Bluefish94
2000 WJ 

Turn the steering wheel to one side to disengaged the lock, when my cylinder was going bad I had to pull to one side hard enough I thought it would break.

Sent from my ECM
Unread 07-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Here ya go...http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/k...o-turn-597301/
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Amadauss

1999 WJ 

I know this is not the correct fix, but when we have the same issue, I found a slight tap on the key while in the ignition would cause the tumblers to fall into play and the key would work fine. This seems to be a common problem for many jeep owners. We keep a small rubber mallet under the seat and when we have this issue which is not often, but happens, a light tap on the key and it turns no problem. Again, not the correct fix, and we need to replace the tumblers eventually, but it works for us now. I guess when we finally have to use a sledge hammer to get the key to work, will make the correction.
Unread 07-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
robby65
2007 XK Commander 

if you do get the key out try some graphite and spray it in there,supposed to help with the tumblers.
http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Ease-Grap.../dp/B0006MWPZA
robby65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
WJHype
2001 WJ 

As dumb as it sounds, just hit the end of the key with your hand or a hammer or something and it will free it up. I had to do this often until I replaced the part inside the key ignition.
Unread 07-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
terrypack1963
2002 WJ 

Hi - thank you all for your replies. I have tried the tap of the key 'solution' and unfortunately that didn't work and have decided the most appropriate course of action (for me) is to take to the Jeep main dealer. That is later this week and I shall report on the outcome. From all the people I have contacted I am convinced it is the tumblers in the lock is at fault.

Terry
Unread 08-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Jaman

at the risk of sounding dumm, this happens to me on occasion, and is the result of not being completely in "park", if I give the gearshift a wiggle, it'll click in place, and I can then pull the key out... probably not that simple on your end, but u never know... good luck!
Jaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

You need to hit it harder. Hit it in the same direction that it is inserted into the key hole and as you hit it, try to turn the key with your other hand.
It works.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
mattcofc
2000 WJ 

Had this issue where I banged the key with a hammer to get it out. Once you get the key out WD40 the **** out of it and keep working it in the ignition followed by wiping on a towel to clean out the crud that was gumming it up.
mattcofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
terrypack1963
2002 WJ 

Thank you for all your replies. I must admit that I did not try the 'hit key harder and turn' option but did take it to the Jeep dealer who changed the complete barrel of the lock (at a price).

I do find the forum very useful and thanks again for taking the time to respond. Hopefully I will have more time in future to resolve some of these Jeep issues myself.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.