if it ain't broke... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > if it ain't broke...

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 11-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
fastfreddie

if it ain't broke...

i'm the original owner of an '02 overland w/ 150k miles. it's been serviced well enough throughout its lifetime as far as drivetrain lubricants and engine oil filters. i followed the schedule b program for the most part.
so now, it's a little long in the tooth and possibly/is needing some freshening up in other areas.
would it be worth the expense to replace the tps, o2 sensors, fuel filter, brake fluid, coolant, etc...you know, stuff that i've kinda neglected and/or has otherwise caused problems for other owners?
what might be some other components to consider???
i know it's mostly in the owner's manual maintenance schedule but, frankly, i've forgotten when i've done what, if ever.
having your thoughts on it could be helpful.
thanks.

fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

Ya if it ain't broke don't fix it... but preventative maintenance goes a loooooong way If it's running rough or something a good many people have cleaned the gunk out of their throttle body, I've heard many good things about seafoam as well. Fuel filter and 02 sensors will give you WAYYY more MPG if they haven't been replaced in a long time, these are usually the big 2 that bring MPG down.
Unread 11-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
fastfreddie

yeah, my mileage has sucked lately. i've never replaced the fuel filter or o2 sensors. i guess that's a good place to start.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Definitely do the fuel filter, I did mine yesterday and drove about 60 miles today just to test it out (who says its a waste ) I went from fighting tooth and nail to get 14.5 (I'm talking like 85% highway here) to about 17mpg with about 65/35 (highway and city respectively). I realize its a small data pool with only about 60 miles, but still, its gotta count for something with that kind of difference.

In short, fuel filter = godsend. Also it only cost me 21.65 or something along those lines from Summit (through Amazon).

I don't know how your winters are there, but road crews around here treat salt like its grass seed when it comes time for winter, so my fuel filter removal and installation was a bit more work than it should have been. Bolts locked solid with rust, one of the fittings solid rust, finally get bolts out after much PBBlaster soaking, they look more like nails, all threads are gone on both them and the holes in which they belong, etc etc and so forth. Long story short, it took me about 3-4 hours but that includes trying to clean up the rust having to find a bolt that would fit the now enlarged holes and fiddling with those fittings for 20-25 minutes a piece. Totally worth it IMO though, at least so far for me it's been great.
mycreativename is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Gran_Paradiso
2014 Overland HEMI

2014 WK 

Consider a coolant and brake fluid flush to.

Sent from my DROIDX using JeepForum
Gran_Paradiso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.