IDLE, VOLTAGE, AND VAC LEAK I love my WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > IDLE, VOLTAGE, AND VAC LEAK I love my WJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Forbidinworks
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wj IDLE, VOLTAGE, AND VAC LEAK I love my WJ

Ok I have a few problems and I am wondering if any of them are linked together.

The jeep is a 04 4.7 WJ w/ 130,000.
The first thing I noticed is recently when coming to a stop the idle will drop real low. Every once in a while it will stall, then as this is happening the voltage will drop, and finally about 3 weeks ago the check engine light came on with the P-0442 & P-0455.

I have found two possible leaks and have repaired them and turned off the check engine light. Then a few days later it comes back one. So brought to a shop to have it smoked and they were unable to find anything. They thought it might be a internal leak.

This is driving me nuts, Any input would very be helpful and appreciated.

Forbidinworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Forbidinworks
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wj

This is a shot in the dark but I am wondering if this could be caused by a leak in the brake booster?
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
1hotrod
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidinworks View Post
This is a shot in the dark but I am wondering if this could be caused by a leak in the brake booster?
A leaky Brake booster will tend to increase idle speed not decrease.

Also, the voltage drops because idle speed is decreasing. Slower idle means slower alternator speed. Alternator output is a function of rotor speed and strength of field.

For the stalling, Check your EGR valve it might be sticking or your idle air control valve could be dirty or your base idle is not set properly.
1hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Forbidinworks
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wj

Ok I replaced the EGR valve and the idle air control valve. I am still having this problem. Sorry for the late reply I stopped driving the WJ for a while And now the idle is worse and the stalling more frequent. I have noticed that when I put it in neutral the idle comes back up.

Any chance it could be my battery terminals? But that would have anything to do with the EVAP leaks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.