I want to order some brakes today - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I want to order some brakes today

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

I'm going to agree with technohead in that there is a happy medium between surface area and total mass for the best breaking. Finding this medium is what performance companies are trying to do. From what I've read and learned, EBC slotted and dippled rotors are the bang for your buck. I run them with EBC yellow stuff pads, not to mention I'm running a vanco brake system. It greatly improves stopping ability.

www.perfectbrakes.com - online shopping for quality disc brake pads and brake rotors
powerbrakes hydroboosts vacuum boosters everything for your extreme braking needs

As someone mentioned, you need to look at the whole system when you want to improve your braking

ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
matrix849

I wouldn't mind doing a "system overhaul" but, knowing what to buy is the hard part.

Like the Vanco Powerbrake system isn't compatible with a 2002 jeep grand cherokee.
matrix849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #18
WJ04
2004 WJ 

Stillen rotors and metal matrix pads... FTW!!!!
2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Still to come: Flowmaster 50suv

October 2011 GCOTM Winner

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
I burnout on puppies and kittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Lets not and say we didn't.
WJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #19
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ04 View Post
Stillen rotors and metal matrix pads... FTW!!!!
this thread /thread
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #20
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix849 View Post
Same size rotors though?
yes they are the same size rotors, the caliper follows the same contour of the old one but it just extends a little longer. i looked at them last night and cant find a part number or brand name, i just know we got them from morris 4x4 center.com.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #21
matrix849

Well I have decided against aftermarket calipers, I am going to the stealership tommorow to pick up some akebono calipers, then i'll prob stop by a local parts store for pads and rotors.

All I need from the stealership is the caliper and caliper bracket right?

I can use the old bolts/pins? Or should I get that as well?

And I shouldn't have a problem with the old factory rims right?

Also, while I'm down there any other maintenance suggestions? Busings... etc? I"ll be going on a long drive friday this week, and i'd like to make sure everything is up to speed.
2002 jeep w. 75k miles
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #22
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I'd think Kolak, aka Nick, could give you a far better deal on those Akebono calipers, and he has other brake pad and rotor options that aren't so high-end. He also gives JF members a discount. Just a head's up. He's a great guy to work with.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #23
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

No reason to buy the akobonos from the dealer unless you like to waste your money.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #24
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Keep your calipers. They're most likely fine.... Check my sig for what I've had on for 4 years now, towing a heavy old boat all over the East. Good equipment.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #25
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Brake Performance - Slotted and Drilled Brake Rotors This is what I am running. They are zinc coated, and have a lifetime warranty against warping. I have been very pleased with their performance so far. They were 187 delivered to my door with pads.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #26
matrix849

Do you suggest special pads to run with those rotors?

Or will regular pads do the job?
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #27
straty1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
Brake Performance - Slotted and Drilled Brake Rotors This is what I am running. They are zinc coated, and have a lifetime warranty against warping. I have been very pleased with their performance so far. They were 187 delivered to my door with pads.
can i ask why you pieced these rotors over the ones from stillen?
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:59 AM   #28
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The price, and the fact that they come with a lifetime warranty against warping. The ones I bought were 187.00 with free pads and free shipping. The stillens are 230 without shipping or pads. And the stillen warranty says limited lifetime which usually doesn't cover much.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
Unread 07-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #29
Kolak
Vendor

I sell the Stillen rotors for $160.00 for the front pair - far less than their web site pricing.

The quality of their rotors is such that warranty claims are nearly nonexistant. I've had customers replace them after 50,000 or 60,000 miles, just because they've worn them out, but that's impressive life without any warping issues.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #30
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I wasn't trying to knock the stillens, as I personally have no experience with them. I was looking at those and the EBC brakes when I found the ones I purchased, I was pleased with the price and the similarities to the other two, and thought I would give them a try. I have only been running them for a few weeks so I can't give any real info on them except they look to be of excellent quality and so far have improved braking power slightly with no wobbles everytime I hit the brakes. I will update later with how they last and give a very honest summary. If they warp and I have warranty problems I will share those as well. I assume the stillens or EBC'S would be of equal quality and didn't want to steer anyone away from those two, just posting a different option.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.