I think my wife broke the jeep... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I think my wife broke the jeep...

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
jmhat98
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think my wife broke the jeep...

I need a little help for some trouble shooting. My wife took the jeep to work one day last week and called me to say that she was on the side of the road and the jeep just stopped. I go up there and find that it will not catch any gears, and notice a pool of trans fluid under the jeep. Inspection shows that a hose had broken between the radiator and transmission and alot of the fluid had leaked out. I put on a new hose and fill up with transmission fluid and off we go. But now there is a BIG slip between first and second, and it even takes 4-5 seconds for the jeep to shift into drive once I shift from neutral. I may take it in and have the transmission serviced to see if that helps, but I am afraid they will tell me I need a rebuild. So what kind of damage could have been done by driving 70mph down the interstate while the tranny was dumping fluid? Anything I can try to look at/fix other than taking it to the shop for a transmission service? Could that have affected any of the sensors for it to have been run dry?

99 Grand cherokee
automatic
4.0 inline 6

Thanks for any advice, I have never had a transmission issue before and feel kind of lost, and worried that I am going to have to have a rebuild or new transmission put in.

Unread 08-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
HELMET
2006 LJ Wrangler 

OK, your wife did not break the Jeep, she was just driving when a hose blew. If you had been driving the hose still would have blown, so it is no ones fault.

You may just have air in the system,if that is the case a service should fix it. That would be the best case, the worst case is she just kept ramming on it when it would not go and burnt your tranny up. Then yes it is all her fault and forget the first part of this post.
HELMET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
jmhat98
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How can I find out what Transmission I have and what type of fluid will work best?

When I refilled it took 3 quarts and I added ATF +4

Is that the right fluid?
Unread 08-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
WiCkeDuDe

2002 WJ 

If it was low enough to not drive at all it will need more than 3 quarts. I usually have to use 6 quarts on a 42RE.

99 - 04 Grand Cherokee Mopar Trackbar
NP 242HD Transfer Case

WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
tsconver
2003 WJ 

remember to check the fluid on a level surface in NEUTRAL. Cycle the shifter through all the gears then stop in NEUTRAL and check the fluid level, it will read high in park as the pump does not circulate when it is in park.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELMET View Post
OK, your wife did not break the Jeep, she was just driving when a hose blew. If you had been driving the hose still would have blown, so it is no ones fault.

You may just have air in the system,if that is the case a service should fix it. That would be the best case, the worst case is she just kept ramming on it when it would not go and burnt your tranny up. Then yes it is all her fault and forget the first part of this post.
Ooooooooold thread but I feel like this needed to be heard by many, it gave me a great laugh
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

Location: Santa Rosa, CA 1 hour north of San Francisco in wine country.
Well I for one enjoyed that certain post. Thanks for bringing it back up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.