i promise this isnt another "clunk" thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > i promise this isnt another "clunk" thread

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
patrick983
2000 WJ 

i promise this isnt another "clunk" thread

ok ive been investigating a clunk in the rear of my WJ for quite some time, and i would like some advice/opinions from you guys here, ill keep this as short as i can

symptoms:
loud clunk from rear (pass side i believe) going over SMALL sharp imperfections in the road, such as small potholes etc.
Noise is drastically reduced or eliminated if i hit a bump under load(on the gas)
Going faster seems to diminish as well.

things ive replaced:
entire a-arm, plus ball joint (twice)
both lower rear control arms and bushings
shocks (even removed shocks completely, noise remained unchanged)

now, ive come to think that play in the wheel bearing is allowing this clunk. in my experience though if the bearing was worn out it would howl/grind and get worse rapidly, ive had this noise for half a year, and on a smooth road there is no bearing-type noise at all, the rear is smooth as glass. but hit a 3inch pothole you cant even see and it sounds like my wheel fell off. any advice or things ive overlooked would be greatly appreciated!

Unread 09-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Chris00WJ
2000 WJ 

Have you checked your rear swaybar bushings? Do you have the old style addco bar that hits the gas tank? Nothing in the spare tire well bouncing around?
Chris00WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
patrick983
2000 WJ 

i dont run a rear swaybar, forgot to put that in the original post..oops. the noise sounds like its coming through the chassis, but its possible its under the floor in the tire well, i should check at least. but im thinking its underneath the car. ive checked the muffler as well, just really stumped here. going to pull out my axle shafts this weekend and take a look at them.
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Check the brackets for the upper AND lower and see if they got egg shaped at all. My upper brackets were in real bad shape.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
patrick983
2000 WJ 

im gonna diassemble the entire rear AGAIN this weekend, and i'll make sure the brackets are ok, im pretty sure it is i can cycle the suspension and theres no play/noises etc. im pretty positive my clunk is in the axle, im just hoping someone else has had similar symptoms, usually bearings dont "clunk" without some other crazy noises accompanying that. tahnks for the responses so far guys
Unread 09-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

The wife has this exact same thing going on with her 2000 WJ. Please fix yours and let me know so I can fix hers.....thanks!!!
Bubba3200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
myjeeplovesmud
2004 WJ 

Gosh first thing that i thought was a arm ball joint, (90% of rear clunks start here kids)
but after reading the next sentence that said you did it twice, i didn't think it anymore hahaha

i'd look for egg shaping... its really my next best guess
ZONE 4" Lift With 32" Duratracs
Hella Lighting - Rola Rack - KOR 3/4 Spacers
IRO Sliders - Rusty's Hooks - Cobra CB

MY BUILD THREAD
BAD TO THE BONE ZONE

November 2010 GCOTM
myjeeplovesmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
patrick983
2000 WJ 

removed/reinstalled the upper a-arm just now, and i can say pretty much 100% this noise is NOT in my a-arm. mounts and all 3 bushings are all perfect and new, no play anywhere cycling the suspension. its got to be somewhere besides the suspension. i will pull the axle shafts tomorrow, replacing rear bearings is such a PITA though . last thing im worried it could be is the pinion bearing, i;ll be checking tomorrow as well. i'll report back when i hopefully figure it out.
Unread 09-18-2010, 01:54 AM   #9
bimmerjeeper
2004 WJ 

I think I posted something similar
I changed the rear muffler hanger and my clunk (sounded like tuka-tuka when I went over bumps) and the clunk stopped........then slowly came back
......then I changed the rear muffler hanger again along with the center muffler hanger and the sway bar end links ( I think they're the small ones behind the rear axle....and the clunk went away.............
Then came back.......WTFF!!!!! hate!!!!!

Please someone come up with an answer.....throwing money at clunks is not economically viable
Unread 09-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Thinking more, wonder if something in the emegency brakes haven't broke loose?
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Redrum_1
2000 WJ 

I had the same problem so I rebuilt some things and checked all others. Clunk still existed. I read an article about shock mount bolts. I had replaced the shocks before so I didn't think that would do it. But I did pull out the top shock mount bolt and found it was worn in one spot. Almost too hard to detect it. I replaced it and Wow,, Its all quiet now. I think the bolt size is 13mm x 170mm. You might double check that but mine was the bolt all along.

Good Luck!
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab. 5.7L Hemi 6 speed automatic 3:55 gears LSD with 20 inch rubber
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L
2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Model 6 speed manual
2002 Audi A6 Avant Quattro 3.0L Auto
Redrum_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
patrick983
2000 WJ 

Thanks for the help but as i mentioned ive run the jeep with no rear shocks at all and the clunk remained, the shock mount problem is quite common and everyone should start there imo.
Unread 09-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
patrick983
2000 WJ 

pulled the axle shaft out today, it fought me quite a bit. my clunk is definitely here. kinda hard to explain but the bracket that houses the 4 studs that mount the shaft to the axle, is loose. so the axle shaft and wheel can actually wobble around in the housing. the bearing appears to be ok. i'll post some pics once im finished. im gonna have to put it back together and order a new shaft nobody has them locally.
Unread 09-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick983 View Post
pulled the axle shaft out today, it fought me quite a bit. my clunk is definitely here. kinda hard to explain but the bracket that houses the 4 studs that mount the shaft to the axle, is loose. so the axle shaft and wheel can actually wobble around in the housing. the bearing appears to be ok. i'll post some pics once im finished. im gonna have to put it back together and order a new shaft nobody has them locally.
So you pulled your rear drive shaft, and the pinion yoke is loose?

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #15
patrick983
2000 WJ 

no no AXLE shaft not driveshaft, the bearing doesnt appear in terrible shape but has come "loose" from the shaft. and the plate bracket that holds in on(has 4 studs that mount it to the end of the axle before the brake is no longer tight to the shaft either, looks like its supposed to be pressed on as well. with both of these the way they are its making a hell of a racket, after greasing and reinstalling and torquing everyitng down the noise is 20 times worse now, so this will be replaced ASAP before my wheel tries to fall off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.