I need serious help! I'm stumped - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I need serious help! I'm stumped

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #31
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD View Post
OK MUDDY

then can you explain to me what vari-lok is, this retard actually enjoys learning new things
He doesn't need to, read my previous post where I explain to you why the OP doesn't even have varilocs.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #32
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWJ View Post

This!
Beat me to it! Lol

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #33
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD

Please grow something that resembles a logical brain, she just bought this thing and you are actually proposing something this radical when her most likely problem is lack of friction modifier??

If you are going to convert anything in your driveline the only thing that is going to be really worth your money is to drop a wrangler rubicon setup into your WJ, something that is truly designed to GO OFF ROAD
Logical brain? Are you ****ing stupid? I'm a technician too. I actually work at a shop and get paid. I've done this swap myself and it has already been verified that she has open carriers. There are people on here without training that know more then you do about these jeeps. Do us all a favor and just stop posting uneducated, naive, and straight up ridiculous "advice" that is going to just waste everyone's time. You complain that a transfer case swap is "too radical" and then propose a full wrangler rubicon setup for her dub... Please, inform me where this logical brain of yours is

You sound pitiful when every post of yours starts with "I'm a mechanic". You want to post stupid **** and get in arguments with other dumb people that think they know it all, go to the NASIOC Subaru forum where there are plenty of your type. Jeepforum doesn't need people like you to ruin the community

Edit: enjoy your career working feeble wage at jiffy lube
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #34
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

LOL

I just pictured you doing this and walking out...

gcjeeping is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #35
Toreyjw1
1999 WJ 

By all means, all these replays are priceless and quite entertaining. Let's get up-to-date with confirmed info

I DO HAVE:

Front Dana 30 open
Rear Dana 44 open
Quadra-trac 2
Progressive coupler in diff (nv247j)
Binding around corners both FRONT&REAR

I am looking for a logical repair. If I'm having to rebuild my TC, I would hate to get into something balls deep and not know my way out, then be stuck in a WAY worse situation. So if a replacement is applicable, and gives better performance/ durability, I'm all in. But if the PC is a cheaper and really not that difficult repair, then that's my better option. I live my jeep and intend to repair it how ever necessary. I just need an educated/LEGITIMATELY experienced opinion

Thanks for everyone's opinions, even those who are mid lead- I tried another fourm and someone suggested it my 'shifter lever' stuck in 4wd. Apparently they Dont understand what all time 4wd is......

By the way. If the nv242HD is an option, is this TC shared with the Durango? And what's the cost of one of these bad boys.
Toreyjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #36
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreyjw1 View Post
By all means, all these replays are priceless and quite entertaining. Let's get up-to-date with confirmed info

I DO HAVE:

Front Dana 30 open
Rear Dana 44 open
Quadra-trac 2
Progressive coupler in diff (nv247j)
Binding around corners both FRONT&REAR

I am looking for a logical repair. If I'm having to rebuild my TC, I would hate to get into something balls deep and not know my way out, then be stuck in a WAY worse situation. So if a replacement is applicable, and gives better performance/ durability, I'm all in. But if the PC is a cheaper and really not that difficult repair, then that's my better option. I live my jeep and intend to repair it how ever necessary. I just need an educated/LEGITIMATELY experienced opinion

Thanks for everyone's opinions, even those who are mid lead- I tried another fourm and someone suggested it my 'shifter lever' stuck in 4wd. Apparently they Dont understand what all time 4wd is......

By the way. If the nv242HD is an option, is this TC shared with the Durango? And what's the cost of one of these bad boys.
A new pc will run around $500. And entails dropping the case, tearing it apart, putting it all back together and putting it back up. It's not 'hard' buts it's time consuming and you will probably end up dropping a bunch of money for several pairs of snapring pliers. You need the very best pair you can find...coming from experience.

Search car-parts.com for junk yards with 242HDs or even a used 247. You should be able to pick one up for less than $200. If you go the 242 route, you will also need the rear driveshaft. The shifter is not an issue, you can just get stickers to mark the new positions, or pick up the bezel while you're at the yard. As far as work, drop the old, put up the new, and you'll have to move the shifter cable to the other hole in the bracket that is attached to the tranny. Less work than the pc replacement, and about half the price.

Build Thread

KCCO
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #37
Toreyjw1
1999 WJ 

PERFECT, that's exactly what I was wanting to hear! Cost and repair comparison. So fir sounds like that's my best option. What's better on the 242 as I've been told they're less prone to problems? And I'd hate to buy a bad one.... are there any field diagnostics I can run to see whether or not she's a good pick? I'm going to start my hunt today!
Toreyjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #38
OffroadOran
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreyjw1
PERFECT, that's exactly what I was wanting to hear! Cost and repair comparison. So fir sounds like that's my best option. What's better on the 242 as I've been told they're less prone to problems? And I'd hate to buy a bad one.... are there any field diagnostics I can run to see whether or not she's a good pick? I'm going to start my hunt today!
The 242 is "better" because it has more modes and it doesnt have that PC . It has 2wd, locking 4wd modes (4 part time and 4 low), and an all wheel drive mode(4wd all time). All wheel drive works by using a center differential to allow it to work on pavement without binding the transfercase. The 4wd modes lock the front and rear driveshafts. As far as diagnosis, someone more experienced that me will have to chime in!

04 Steel Blue Pearl laredo WJ 4.0L, NV242 TC, 42RE Trans, Dana 30 & 35C, 3.55 gears: 99% stock. 80k miles
OffroadOran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #39
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

The only real field diagnostics you can do is shift through all the modes and turn the output shaft to make sure everything else turns when it's supposed to. Listen for grinding when spinning the output. Make sure it shifts smoothly. Take out the drain and fill plugs and get a look at the chain. Make sure it's there and not sagging to bad. Watch the chain as you turn the output as well.

Build Thread

KCCO
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #40
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreyjw1
Also a 242 fills with atf4 iirc and not expensive mopar fluid like a 247.
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #41
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

The last few posts are definitely right on the money. However, IMO, to do a 242HD swap correctly, it will end up costing about the same as replacing the PC in the 247 once you factor in the new driveshaft (or modified stocker), seals, chain, and shifter assembly. The 242 is stout case and usually doesn't have any issues, however I would recommend replacing all the seals and the t-case chain before dropping it in your rig. At the very least, split the case and check the condition of the chain.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #42
OffroadOran
2004 WJ 

Id also say before you buy the transfercase see if you can at least look at the chain. Also doorjamm your right, the 242 does fill with atf+4. I put valovoline atf+4 in mine when i swapped the fluid and its been fine for a few thousand miles and shifts well. The 242 hd also takes atf+4 , as stated on wjjeeps (link to Tcase info-> http://wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm )

04 Steel Blue Pearl laredo WJ 4.0L, NV242 TC, 42RE Trans, Dana 30 & 35C, 3.55 gears: 99% stock. 80k miles
OffroadOran is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.