I need serious help! I'm stumped - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I need serious help! I'm stumped

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreyjw1
Very interesting. How is that swapping out? Any retrofitting? Or is just a direct bolt up? And what about the selector lever? Mine currently has just 4wd all time neutral and 4lo

And regarding the PC and its expense, it seems as if they're about 500? What's the cost of a 242? And can it be 4wd and used on pavement? I intend using it this winter w/ ice for work. My company is a service company and snow around these parts halts everything. So well be mobile.

Regards!
If I were you, I'd just do the 242 swap. It'll take less work and be better for you in the end. The 242 Selectrac will allow 2wd, but also the 4wd all time that you are asking for, along with more selections. The swap is direct, but you need the rear drive shaft from the same vehicle as they are different between the 242 and 247. And then there is a minor adjustment that takes 30 seconds with the cable bracket. Look up the thread on here, and junk the 247 in my opinion. My 242hd and rear driveshaft cost 550 at LKQ in northern California and many people have gotten them cheaper. I believe gcjeeping has a couple in his garage, maybe you can contact him about picking one up

doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
Toreyjw1
1999 WJ 

Man, that's awesome! I will definitely look into it. This binding is getting very annoying. Thanks a lot!
Toreyjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

Take my word for it, Im a mechanic and I too own a 99 with the 4.7L, they only offered one platform of 4WD that year with the V8

You do not have an open diff, you DO have LSD in both axles. http://wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm

Don't worry too much just yet, do a diff service on both the front and rear, when you add the new gear oil you will need to also add 4 oz. of the friction modifier to ensure proper operation of the LSD clutch packs.
99_wj_QD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorjamm View Post
If I were you, I'd just do the 242 swap. It'll take less work and be better for you in the end. The 242 Selectrac will allow 2wd, but also the 4wd all time that you are asking for, along with more selections. The swap is direct, but you need the rear drive shaft from the same vehicle as they are different between the 242 and 247. And then there is a minor adjustment that takes 30 seconds with the cable bracket. Look up the thread on here, and junk the 247 in my opinion. My 242hd and rear driveshaft cost 550 at LKQ in northern California and many people have gotten them cheaper. I believe gcjeeping has a couple in his garage, maybe you can contact him about picking one up
Please grow something that resembles a logical brain, she just bought this thing and you are actually proposing something this radical when her most likely problem is lack of friction modifier??

If you are going to convert anything in your driveline the only thing that is going to be really worth your money is to drop a wrangler rubicon setup into your WJ, something that is truly designed to GO OFF ROAD
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD View Post
Take my word for it, Im a mechanic and I too own a 99 with the 4.7L, they only offered one platform of 4WD that year with the V8

You do not have an open diff, you DO have LSD in both axles. http://wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm

Don't worry too much just yet, do a diff service on both the front and rear, when you add the new gear oil you will need to also add 4 oz. of the friction modifier to ensure proper operation of the LSD clutch packs.
Umm what? You have no clue what you are talking about. Please get down from your soapbox and quit giving horrible information. You are not the know all end all of anything. In fact, I have not seen you post a single thing that was true or factual. Please, for the sake of the new people who don't know any better, go away.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
car5car
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
OP-

Are you sure it's not the t-case binding up?
That is what it is. Very common problem.
People usually remove front shaft, easy solution. BTW, it is how you can diagnose problem.
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #22
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

so the 99 WJ with the quadra trac doesn't have limited slip clutch packs??? And actually I will take one thing back, I do believe I was wrong about LSD in the front axle, but I can verify exactly what is in the 99 V8 platform tomorrow. What is your training/knowledge of automotive powertrains? or of anything else I have posted about??

If you learn anything from a majority of the posts on this forum it is that most ppl posting know one thing and one thing only, get the code then throw the part at the thing hoping it will fix the problem....or better yet, drop a junkyard trans in your jeep if you have s problem with your current one
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
so the 99 WJ with the quadra trac doesn't have limited slip clutch packs??? What is your training/knowledge of automotive powertrains? or of anything else I have posted about??

If you learn anything from a majority of the posts on this forum it is that most ppl posting know one thing and one thing only, get the code then throw the part at the thing hoping it will fix the problem....or better yet, drop a junkyard trans in your jeep if you have s problem with your current one
Nope, it sure doesn't. The diffs are open and the transfer case has a progressive coupler. Neither of which require any amount of friction modifier. I've torn down and rebuilt enough of these to know how they work. I didn't learn in some class room. If I were you, I'd consider asking for a refund on your "training".

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #24
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

yep that transfer case does but there are clutch packs in that axle, and the front one too, that comes straight from the manufacturer service info...or are we all just adding friction modifier to our diffs for no reason???????

The tires are spinning in opposite directions with the rear axle off the ground because when in park your trans locks up the driveline which doesnt allow the wheels to turn any other way, which is why it is called a parking gear it prevents the vehicle from moving
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #25
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
so the 99 WJ with the quadra trac doesn't have limited slip clutch packs??? What is your training/knowledge of automotive powertrains? or of anything else I have posted about??
No you retard quadra-trac does not have limited slip clutch packs. My knowledge and training would be rebuilding my first engine in 7th grade. You started a great career in life and started a lifelong career in hell on this forum with your absurd and arrogant post last week. If you want to help people sign up to be a big brother or volunteer at a homeless shelter because the words that come off your keyboard are complete and udder bull****. Get the hell off the forum, nobody likes you and how long till you give someone bad information that leads to the destruction of their rig or worse gets someone hurt?!?! "Mechanics" like you think they know everything because you read a book but when it comes down to "experience " you've got none. Wake up.
MuddyWJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #26
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Take my word for it, Im a mechanic...
And the number count continues. LOL
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #27
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
yep that transfer case does but there are clutch packs in that axle, and the front one too, that comes straight from the manufacturer service info...or are we all just adding friction modifier to our diffs for no reason???????

The tires are spinning in opposite directions with the rear axle off the ground because when in park your trans locks up the driveline which doesnt allow the wheels to turn any other way, which is why it is called a parking gear it prevents the vehicle from moving
Quadra DRIVE has variloc axles. Quadra TRACK II has open diffs. You even linked to the wjjeeps page that explains it. Did you not read the info YOU posted? People with Quadra DRIVE put friction modifier in their axles. People with Quadra TRACK II do not. But by all means, if you want to waste the money and throw fm into your axles, be my guest. I agree with the above, your god awful advice is going to cause someone more damage to their rig, or worse, get someone hurt.

Build Thread

KCCO
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #28
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

OK MUDDY

then can you explain to me what vari-lok is, this retard actually enjoys learning new things
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #29
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWJ View Post
No you retard quadra-trac does not have limited slip clutch packs. My knowledge and training would be rebuilding my first engine in 7th grade. You started a great career in life and started a lifelong career in hell on this forum with your absurd and arrogant post last week. If you want to help people sign up to be a big brother or volunteer at a homeless shelter because the words that come off your keyboard are complete and udder bull****. Get the hell off the forum, nobody likes you and how long till you give someone bad information that leads to the destruction of their rig or worse gets someone hurt?!?! "Mechanics" like you think they know everything because you read a book but when it comes down to "experience " you've got none. Wake up.

LOL.

He can fall back on the space program since he went to space camp one year too. I'm sure he has let NASA know his email address in case they have any problems.
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #30
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post

Quadra DRIVE has variloc axles. Quadra TRACK II has open diffs. You even linked to the wjjeeps page that explains it. Did you not read the info YOU posted? People with Quadra DRIVE put friction modifier in their axles. People with Quadra TRACK II do not. But by all means, if you want to waste the money and throw fm into your axles, be my guest. I agree with the above, your god awful advice is going to cause someone more damage to their rig, or worse, get someone hurt.
This!
MuddyWJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.