I need quick brake help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I need quick brake help!

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Reply
Unread 03-03-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
McStealth R/T
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3
I need quick brake help!

Hey guys... I have the front wheel pulled off my 99 WJ I6 and am trying to replace the pads. Can anyone tell me the size of the allen fitting for the bolt that's securing the caliper?? I've tried all that I have and none of them fit (standard and metric)!

Thanks!

McStealth R/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
Meerkat
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Belle, WV
Posts: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStealth R/T
Hey guys... I have the front wheel pulled off my 99 WJ I6 and am trying to replace the pads. Can anyone tell me the size of the allen fitting for the bolt that's securing the caliper?? I've tried all that I have and none of them fit (standard and metric)!

Thanks!

I don't remember the size offhand.. But I'm thinking 10mm. However, if I'm not mistaken, it is a torx head and not an allen head. You might want to get a flashlight and check that...

HTH
__________________
Warren
Black 1996 5.2L ZJ Limited
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2004, 05:05 PM   #3
McStealth R/T
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks for the reply. I actually took one of the bolts that I *was* able to pop out with a 1/4 allen wrench to NAPA and we found a match! A 7mm allen for my socket was the perfect fit! Now, are you guys ready for the rest of the story??

Well, I actually did this brake job because I was having trouble with the front driver's side wheel getting super hot to the touch after a drive... often without much braking. It would smell terrible and the brakes would fade a bit. I figured the brake job may be a fix because anything that might be making the caliper malfunction would be fixed after I compressed the pistons and bled everything out.

I was WRONG!! This morning, after putting on the new pads, I was headed to see my wife and I started to smell *that* smell again. I stopped at a red light and I can actually see SMOKE billowing up from the wheel well. I only had about 2 more blocks to my wife's office, so I limped along til I got there (smoking wheel and all).

I called a local Jeep specialist and he informed me of the caliper upgrade, so I bummed a car from my sister in law and drove down to the $tealership to pick up my new parts. After that, headed to the house and picked up every concievable tool that may be needed and headed back over to the Jeep. After a couple of hours, the Jeep is now riding on a brand new brake setup!

Anyways... to make a long story short... stock brakes on the 99-01 are CRAP. What were the engineers thinking when they slapped these things together??
McStealth R/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2004, 05:12 PM   #4
Meerkat
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Belle, WV
Posts: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStealth R/T
Thanks for the reply. I actually took one of the bolts that I *was* able to pop out with a 1/4 allen wrench to NAPA and we found a match! A 7mm allen for my socket was the perfect fit! Now, are you guys ready for the rest of the story??

Well, I actually did this brake job because I was having trouble with the front driver's side wheel getting super hot to the touch after a drive... often without much braking. It would smell terrible and the brakes would fade a bit. I figured the brake job may be a fix because anything that might be making the caliper malfunction would be fixed after I compressed the pistons and bled everything out.

I was WRONG!! This morning, after putting on the new pads, I was headed to see my wife and I started to smell *that* smell again. I stopped at a red light and I can actually see SMOKE billowing up from the wheel well. I only had about 2 more blocks to my wife's office, so I limped along til I got there (smoking wheel and all).

I called a local Jeep specialist and he informed me of the caliper upgrade, so I bummed a car from my sister in law and drove down to the $tealership to pick up my new parts. After that, headed to the house and picked up every concievable tool that may be needed and headed back over to the Jeep. After a couple of hours, the Jeep is now riding on a brand new brake setup!

Anyways... to make a long story short... stock brakes on the 99-01 are CRAP. What were the engineers thinking when they slapped these things together??
Glad you were able to figure it out in spite of my help!
What's that about brake upgrade? I'd like to know more.
__________________
Warren
Black 1996 5.2L ZJ Limited
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
McStealth R/T
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3
It's a beefier set of calipers, new pads, and rotors. I think they're the same units found on the 01 and up, but not entirely sure. They're also easier to work on!! Entire setup cost me $350 (with new rotors), which is amazing coming from the dealership!
McStealth R/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2004, 06:02 PM   #6
Meerkat
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Belle, WV
Posts: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStealth R/T
It's a beefier set of calipers, new pads, and rotors. I think they're the same units found on the 01 and up, but not entirely sure. They're also easier to work on!! Entire setup cost me $350 (with new rotors), which is amazing coming from the dealership!

I'll say it is!
Thanks 4 the info!
__________________
Warren
Black 1996 5.2L ZJ Limited
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.