i need a picture of rear brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > i need a picture of rear brakes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
K10roc

i need a picture of rear brakes

hey guys i have a 2000 jeep grand limited with Akebono calipers. i need a picture of the rear brakes... i tore them down for powder at like 4 am and for the life of me can not figure out how this clip goes on them (the front metal retain clip) i checked the service manual but it does not outline the process... almost done... these ball joints and tie rods where a *****! man did they need replaced!

2000 Jeep grand WJ limited, 245/75/16, Thrust 2 chamber muffler, 2in bb, rough country shocks, slotted and drilled rotors, Torqflo trans cooler, powder coated calipers, custom made CAI, K&N cone filter, ported and polished throttle body, Chip, Torqflo trans cooler, 6000k HID, PIAA fog, lots of powder coating and blacked out parts
K10roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
hamilton5
2001 WJ 

Thumbs up

Here you go man. good luck, I hear those clips are *********
p1090092.jpg  
hamilton5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
K10roc

thank you bud... looks like hte clip actaully holds on the pad huh... ahh man this is going to be a blast trying not to scratch the piss out of my freshly powdered calipers!
2000 Jeep grand WJ limited, 245/75/16, Thrust 2 chamber muffler, 2in bb, rough country shocks, slotted and drilled rotors, Torqflo trans cooler, powder coated calipers, custom made CAI, K&N cone filter, ported and polished throttle body, Chip, Torqflo trans cooler, 6000k HID, PIAA fog, lots of powder coating and blacked out parts
Unread 10-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
K10roc

thanks worked out great!
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
thnksno
1999 WJ 

Those clips suck!

I've spent a couple times goofing with them and get thoroughly frustrated. Then suddenly I grab the thing differently, I dunno, but they slide right in like butter?

Note I said a couple times... If I could remember the trick between intervals of goofing with them myself, I'd let you know. But there is hope they'll go in without scratching, like I said when they finally go in they go in pretty easy.
thnksno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

If your powder coat scratches from reassembly, you got terrible quality work or powder. A good job takes a lot of work to scratch.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
K10roc

i do powder coating for a living bud... iOur shop runs 24/7 on custom coating jobs... these are degreased, outgassed, blasted, primered (2 coats) base coat, candy flake top coat and cleared wiht a super durrable clear... it will not crack flake or chip no matter what happens... but powder still scratches if you take metal edges to it... come on now even steel, chrome, hell even glass will scratch... we are not working wiht tungston here bud... the benifit of powder isnt so much scratch protection (although wiht a SD powder it is much more resestant) it is durrability...
Everything i own is coated... my harley and chopper top to bottom, all my custom builds.. car wheels, snowbobile parts, snowmobile trailer... you name it... i put everything to the test... not really sure where you heard that powder does not scratch... but it does not chip or flake if done right or crack... but still scratches

the clips where not nearly as complicated as they looked, i got the fins under the brackets wiht one peg in, then held that in with my finger and used a long nose plies to put in the other one... 1-2-3 was fast
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
volvite
1999 WJ 

Too bad your not closer or I'd have you powercoat my rims gunmetal/black for me. ha ha
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
K10roc

we have stuff shipped to the shop from all over the country... we are in the NW burbs of chicago and got in 4 sets of vet wheels from Cali yesterday... custom colors and masking and coating work is hard to come by in powder... that is what we specialize in... not sure how the sponsership thing on this site works and dont want to step on toes... if you wnat the link to the website just let me know bud i can PM it to ya...
this is one of my fav colors we have done on a solid set of wheels, it is called speedway black, looks insane! we have actually shot this same powder and used a satin clear over it for a mustang as well and completely had a diff look, great powder
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
oilcan94
2000 WJ 

I used a pair of vise gripes to put the wire back in. I think i put the short side in first and then the long side. That made is too easy, after hearing a the hoopla about that wire being a pain. This turn out to be alot less of a fight.
oilcan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
K10roc

ha ha ha you sound like me... i went in expecting hell, but things went really easy.. the pic made things alot easier for me!
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
oilcan94
2000 WJ 

:d
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan94 View Post
i used a pair of vise gripes to put the wire back in. I think i put the short side in first and then the long side. That made it too easy, after hearing all the hoopla about that wire being a pain. This turn out to be alot less of a fight.
oilcan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
thnksno
1999 WJ 

They will go in easily without pliers of any sort... In my experiences mentioned above, I started with pliers and then actually fitted them by hand.
thnksno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #14
MDMILLER
1999 WJ 

Just for your info in case you decide to do any brake work the calipers with the spring are the old style Teves. Akebono do not have the spring and don`t use the open style mount.
MDMILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
Falkon
2004 WJ 

WJ Grand Cherokee brake specifications

GVWR: 5700 Lbs.
Wheelbase: 105.9 inches
CG: 27.1 inches

Front brakes

Rotor outside diameter: 305mm
Rotor thickness: 26mm, vented
Rotor weight: 16.5 lbs.
Caliper: Teves FN T48 / Akebono
Lining/Mu: BBA2014TA/0.32
Brake fluid: P/N 04318080AB (DOT 3 / MS-4574)

Rear brakes

Rotor outside diameter: 305mm
Rotor Thickness: 14mm solid
Rotor Weight: 12.7 Lbs.
Caliper: Teves FN S48
Lining/mu: BBA2014TB/0.32

Actuation/ABS

Pedal Ratio: 3.86:1
Booster: Teves 8+8
MC Bore/Stroke: Teves 25.4 / 39
ABS: 3-Ch Standard
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.