I need a dipstick. Which dipsticks are interchangeable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I need a dipstick. Which dipsticks are interchangeable?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
99_WJ_Laredo
1999 WJ 

I need a dipstick. Which dipsticks are interchangeable?

Hey guys, when i did my motor swap, the dakota motor came without a dip stick so now that i finally got the jeep running, i need to know how much oil is in there right?? Well, mine is broken (ever so not convenient) and i am unable to source another one at the moment.

Does anyone know which dipstick will fit my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7. What years will fit and if any other models will fit? Thank you ever so much!

Also, if anyone has one for sale, please let me know!

99_WJ_Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
99_WJ_Laredo
1999 WJ 

Anyone at all? C'mon guys...19 views and no replies?

There are a few on ebay from various 4.7's but i dont want to buy something that wont fit and mount in the proper locations.
Unread 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The 99 parts manual lists part # 53020859 for the oil dipstick.

The 2004 parts manual lists part # 53020859AC.

When you look up part #53020859, it says it has been superceded by 53020859AC.

It appears they are all the same for 99-04 WJs.

The list price is only $7.70 for this. Have you checked with the local dealer yet to see if they have one or if they can order one for you?

I have an extra dipstick if you cannot find one anywhere.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I may have misunderstood.

Do you need just the dipstick, or do you also need the tube?
Unread 01-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
99_WJ_Laredo
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I may have misunderstood.

Do you need just the dipstick, or do you also need the tube?
Im sorry, i need the tube itself but if it came with the dipstick that goes inside of the tube that would be ideal. Ive heard of the dipsticks being different lengths and want mine to seal inside of the tube properly. I'll call the dealer today and see what they run.
Unread 01-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
99_WJ_Laredo
1999 WJ 

Poop. Dealer is discontinued on the tubes. Autozone/Napa/O'Reilys dont carry it. Craigslist has nothing to offer. Junkyard doesnt inventory it and everything is covered in snow so good luck trying to find one laying about. Any suggestions? Or does anyone have one they would sell me?
Unread 01-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Blue04WJ
2004 WJ 

how can the dealer 'discontinue' a part for a car that was made 200,000 times per year for 5 years and still very popular on the road? that makes no sense.
Blue04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
99_WJ_Laredo
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue04WJ View Post
how can the dealer 'discontinue' a part for a car that was made 200,000 times per year for 5 years and still very popular on the road? that makes no sense.
iono....guess they dont account for people breaking or losing dipstick tubes while swapping engines?
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
LeroyJMC
1994 ZJ 

If your dealer says discontinued then check JEEPOEMPARTS.com and make sure they say the same, they're a dealer in TX and have great prices. I've ordered from them a few times and had no issues. On the site look under engine-engine parts. They list the dipstick, tube, and o-ring for the tube as well (don't forget the oring if you change the tube). Total of about $28...not sure how much on shipping and they also charge about a buck fifty for processing. Would be cheaper in this case from a local dealer because of shipping, but if that's not possible then you gotta pay it right.

I find it hard to believe these parts are discontinued...plus I want to say there's some type of rule that your parts are to be available for ten years after manufacture of the vehicle too...no clue where I came up with that though....
1997 Chevrolet Z71
1994 ZJ Laredo 4.0 - Sold
Thanks for the IR Remote Smokinbk.
LeroyJMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
99_WJ_Laredo
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the tip LeroyJMC.

Sooooo.....went to JeepOemParts and ordered the dipstick. Payed for it everything. Few days later they call me and say that the price for the one i need (according to my VIN that i entered) is actually $12. I say oh well i need it. They say ok this will ship out today. Calls me back half an hour later and says we have bad news: The dipstick is actually unavailable. Why? Discontinued part.

WTF.... so it IS discontinued and my local dealer wasnt sh*tting me. So thats good news right?

Anyone have a dipstick they wanna sell me that will fit and bolt to the right place on my Jeep? Im nearing my first oil change since the rebuild and NEED A DIPSTICK TUBE. Thank you!
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_WJ_Laredo View Post
Thanks for the tip LeroyJMC.

Sooooo.....went to JeepOemParts and ordered the dipstick. Payed for it everything. Few days later they call me and say that the price for the one i need (according to my VIN that i entered) is actually $12. I say oh well i need it. They say ok this will ship out today. Calls me back half an hour later and says we have bad news: The dipstick is actually unavailable. Why? Discontinued part.

WTF.... so it IS discontinued and my local dealer wasnt sh*tting me. So thats good news right?

Anyone have a dipstick they wanna sell me that will fit and bolt to the right place on my Jeep? Im nearing my first oil change since the rebuild and NEED A DIPSTICK TUBE. Thank you!
I think I have one.

Since it is discontinued, I'm going to need big bucks for it.

I'll double check tomorrow to make sure I have one. Feel free to remind me about it anytime if you do not hear from me soon.
Unread 01-21-2011, 03:56 AM   #12
Mr_Grumpy
1999 WJ 

When ever i see anything thats related to jeep being discontinued , i imagine a board of directors slapping away at the table demanding to know what went wrong..why didnt this part break like the rest? Discontinue the part!
Mr_Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.