I just bought a WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I just bought a WJ

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 10-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
VBJeepWJ
2003 WJ 

I just bought a WJ

I just bought a WJ and I do not know where to begin there is so many things. I want to know what your first purchases were for your Jeep when you got it. Was it a lift or just tires and rims. Maybe a brush guard. I am interested to hear what everyone's input is.

VBJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Poseidon
2002 WJ 

Change ALL fluids.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
akinshake
1999 WJ 

First thing I bought was hood struts. But the first I guess you would call it "big thing" would be a BB and a set of Moab takeoffs from a wrangler. And a bunch of krylon fusion satin black. There is a lot you can do to your WJ or any car for that matter on a budget, just find out what you want your WJ for, and go from there.
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
VBJeepWJ
2003 WJ 

I know about all of the maintenance things to do when you buy a vehicle. I am trying to just have a friendly conversation about the first thing you bought for your vehicles. I think I am going to go with a brush guard to give it that off road look. I would love to go with new tires rims and lift, but that will have to be a little bit later. I still have tread on these tires and wanna wear them out a bit more.
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBJeepWJ View Post
I just bought a WJ and I do not know where to begin there is so many things. I want to know what your first purchases were for your Jeep when you got it. Was it a lift or just tires and rims. Maybe a brush guard. I am interested to hear what everyone's input is.
Can you give us some information to work with? For example, your intended use: DD, weekend off-roader, hardcore rock crawler, etc.

I am only surmising from your posts that you are going for looks first, to get a first-rate mall crawler. In VA Beach, I get that. Therefore, perhaps a BB and some new rims, that will accommodate your new tire purchase (bigger, of course) when you wear-out your current tires.

Personally, I would forego the brush guard - primarily because there is no brush at the beach - but also, unless it is extra-stout, those things cause exponential damage in a front end collision (to your own vehicle).

For me, I got my WJ sorted mechanically first, then went to the lift. A poorly maintained, non-functional but lifted Jeep is really no fun at all...

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinshake View Post
First thing I bought was hood struts.
this exactly. only had mine about a month and using vise grips to hold the hood up blows
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
VBJeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dog View Post
Can you give us some information to work with? For example, your intended use: DD, weekend off-roader, hardcore rock crawler, etc.

I am only surmising from your posts that you are going for looks first, to get a first-rate mall crawler. In VA Beach, I get that. Therefore, perhaps a BB and some new rims, that will accommodate your new tire purchase (bigger, of course) when you wear-out your current tires.

Personally, I would forego the brush guard - primarily because there is no brush at the beach - but also, unless it is extra-stout, those things cause exponential damage in a front end collision (to your own vehicle).

For me, I got my WJ sorted mechanically first, then went to the lift. A poorly maintained, non-functional but lifted Jeep is really no fun at all...
I am curious where you think im going for looks first. My vehicle I had is all scratched up from the brush you say isnt in virginia beach. And a lift with tires and rims is to go down the trail to get the deer I killed so I dont have to drag him 200 yards. Also I can have some fun with it.
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
TookayS2K

Good luck. I just picked up a WJ as well. This weekend I'll be getting all new fluids, alignment and a few other fixes to get her running right.
TookayS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
VBJeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TookayS2K View Post
Good luck. I just picked up a WJ as well. This weekend I'll be getting all new fluids, alignment and a few other fixes to get her running right.
Mine seems to be running amazing. I got a good deal from a dealer and its only been owned by one old rich couple with all the maint records
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
new2site
2002 WJ 

Replace your radiator electric fan relay switch (known to go out) and thermostat.... $50 well spent on avoiding overheating/destroying your engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=E5K1D1iEQO8
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
3Dog

Quote:
I know about all of the maintenance things to do when you buy a vehicle. I am trying to just have a friendly conversation about the first thing you bought for your vehicles. I think I am going to go with a brush guard to give it that off road look.
Quote:
I am curious where you think im going for looks first.
Hmmm...

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
VBJeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dog View Post
Hmmm...
There is a look and practicallity for everything. He was implying that I was going for only looks. But I appreciate the twisting of words. I am looking for a friendly conversation not people criticizing why I am buying things. Brush guards have a purpose and he was stating i was getting it to cruise the mall
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

brush guards are great protection when rumbling over smart cars
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
VBJeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSilvia View Post
brush guards are great protection when rumbling over smart cars
Or zombies if need be
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
Falkon
2004 WJ 

Quote:
There is a look and practicallity for everything. He was implying that I was going for only looks. But I appreciate the twisting of words. I am looking for a friendly conversation not people criticizing why I am buying things. Brush guards have a purpose and he was stating i was getting it to cruise the mall

Yeah, well, some people try to be practical. I'd save my money for the repairs it's going to need. And it will. That's at least a 10 year old vehicle. Like he said, bump something w/ a brush guard, and you'll have a LOT more damage than w/o one. I love these threads.
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.