I have a crack near my transmission - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
timjcody

I have a crack near my transmission

2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7L

So my fiancée's Jeep has developed a clunk in her Jeep when she shifts anywhere between Park Reverse and Drive. Doesn't matter what order same clunk and I think I found out why when I just decided to go under and check it out.

Well to be more specific there's a massive freaking chunk of metal just gone video here htt ps://go o.gl/JkpDYy missing chunk at about 15 seconds in. I had to put a space in the https and googl part because I can't post links yet but I really don't know how to describe this without the video.

Now onto more of the story this vehicle has been into the local Pep Boys multiple times and this was never mentioned at all. It is city driven 4 miles from her work to the house no offroading of any kind is done at all to it. The work that has been done has included engine and transmission mounts on the vehicle. Point in short, what is this piece called how expensive is it and could the shop have caused this from replacing the mounts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Not sure how it happened but it's not a severe problem. Inside there is your "flex plate". It is what the starter engages with to spin the engine. That area is inherently dry and should stay that way.
You don't need to do anything about it and as to how it happened, could have been road debris or any other impact from weeks or years ago.

Yes, the shop could have also done it when supporting the engine to swap out the mounts, they possibly put a support under that part and the weight cracked the case. Good luck getting them to own up to it and do anything about it.

The clunk is worth looking into however. With the engine running, hood up, foot on the brake, have fiancée cycle the trans in P, R & D and see how much the whole engine is physically shifting within the engine bay. Next, still keeping left foot on brake, have her give it a little gas and see how much it moves then. (stand back, just in case)

If more than 1/4 inch movement can be seen, there are still other motor mounts that are bad or they are not installed correctly, were cheaply made or have already failed.
The other common possibility is the front drive shaft is at end-of-life and needs to be swapped out.
Report back here with observations.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.