I have $6000 to spend what can i get??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I have $6000 to spend what can i get???

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 02-06-2014, 03:04 AM   #16
james_2k
2009 WK 

i like driving my jeep on the streets too. its nice being higher up than the usual car.

not everyone with those full size pickups over there goes offroad or twos things either do they,

its all preference.

james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 04:06 AM   #17
MadderThanMax

Because he doesn't do " Wheeling" doesn't make it a bad thing.. I don't do wheeling, but I bought it more for the severe weather we've been having over here from flooding to heavy snow and its a boon, + mines a diesel, so I get more mpg.. so in my eyes its a win/win situation.. maybe that's what he sees it as, have you asked him rather than telling him to buy a Corolla??

Why don't you be blatant and just tell future newbies to "Feck Off" because that's what you're doing now. Forums like newbies, WE like Newbies (Welcome by the way ) So help him rather than say "Go buy a Corolla its not for you.."

"Different strokes for different folks" Remember ??
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 04:07 AM   #18
MadderThanMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_2k View Post
i like driving my jeep on the streets too. its nice being higher up than the usual car.

not everyone with those full size pickups over there goes offroad or twos things either do they,

its all preference.
Amen Bruvva
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 05:27 AM   #19
Johnyre
2002 WJ 

I didn't tell him to by a carolla. From what I've heard from family their pick up is pretty good on gas and reliable just saying PS by the way their truck is pretty good in snow and heavy rain. Also a toy was just a suggestion
Johnyre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #20
bessyboy
2001 WJ 

Yeah a Toyota might be great on gas but where does that money go? Oh yeah, OVERSEAS!
Unread 02-06-2014, 05:40 AM   #21
Johnyre
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessyboy View Post
Yeah a Toyota might be great on gas but where does that money go? Oh yeah, OVERSEAS!
I could honestly care less where the money goes. Just saying... Don't get booty hurt
Unread 02-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #22
Johnyre
2002 WJ 

To the op. Go test drive multiple vehicles and see what you think is best for you. All we're here for is suggestions and if you do get a Wj you're welcomed with open arms (metaphorically)
Unread 02-06-2014, 06:12 AM   #23
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Agree with much of the above.
What other vehicles are you considering?
Most of us are handy with a wrench and love our WJs but we also know they need parts sometimes ...and again, the majority of us are DIY.
If you're ready to learn to use the tools that fix your WJ, go for it. If you're not, we're afraid that you'll make a big mistake and get shanked by a dealer, dishonest seller or other mechanic that tears you a new one.

Of course, that can happen with any vehicle but we know ours and we know how to care for it, what is probably going to go wrong on it and what it will need over time.
If you're not willing or able to adopt that philosophy, the WJ is not for you.

Word of caution to you on a purchase from salt use areas. Rust will find your WJ up there unless it was babied. Crawl all over & under the examples you see. Look at the bad ones too so you know what to look for as needing to be fixed (or close to needing) on a good one.

Price a set of tires, talk to your insurance Co. about your new rate.

Find a clean example from the South. A Laredo 4.7 with 120K miles & leather is what I'd look for. Here's more on the deets from year to year: http://www.wjjeeps.com/newoptions.htm
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 06:34 AM   #24
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can get a nice WJ (99-04) with under 100K miles for under $7,000. It's not easy though -- be prepared to look at 5-10 or more Jeeps before you find the one you want.

In the 99-04 range you can chose between the V8 and the inline 6. Read up on the differences, and different experiences, that owners have and choose which engine you think is best for you.

Leather or cloth interior, sunroof or not, Laredo to Overland, various 4WD types..... Do your research and learn as much as you can before you choose one.

As for 2005-2010 (WK), I have seen those in the $7K and down range, but it's usually higher mileage. Drive both WJ and WK and see which you like the best. They're pretty different. Then maybe you can narrow-down your search.

And if you're not knowledgable in mechanical things, find someone who is to help you buy. Don't get stuck with something from a dishonest seller.

Good luck!
Pete
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #25
Jebby
2002 WJ 

I paid 5550 (all in after taxes and transfers) for my 02 Limited (V8 with Quadra-drive) with 175000Km on the clock about 6 months ago. Its clean for the most part but like all used cars took about 500 bucks to bring it up to current on maintenance. I love mine. I loved my TJ before I had it. That being said I'm a jeep guy. I got rid of the tj because I needed a back seat and more towing capacity. WJ was the next best thing. If your not buying it to be a jeep you can do better elsewhere. Used Jeeps are expensive to buy expensive to maintain and expensive to fuel. If it were me in your shoes id be looking for a compact pickup with a stick. most likely a ranger.
Jebby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #26
Mustangt125

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP.

I live in Iowa and my old car was a Mustang, as badass as it was, I never want to have rear-wheel drive in the winter again. I want 4 wheel drive and I want a JEEP.

So far my research has focused on 99-04 Jeep Cherokees (any type) with under 100k miles, yet most of you don't seem wary to be buying one with, for example, 175k miles like Jebby. It's difficult to find a good one with under 100k... but if you can the prices I'm finding are closer to $8-10 thousand, does that seem fair?

I won't be able to spend over $10k so looking for a good deal.

This is the first car I will be buying myself so I want a decently low(ish) amount of miles on it so I can drive it for as long as it runs!

Last edited by Mustangt125; 02-06-2014 at 09:46 AM..
Mustangt125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #27
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangt125 View Post
...yet most of you don't seem wary to be buying one with, for example, 175k miles like Jebby.
Jebby said KM. 175,000 KM is about 109,000 miles. Not too bad.
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #28
Mustangt125

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteYJTJ View Post
Jebby said KM. 175,000 KM is about 109,000 miles. Not too bad.
Ah my bad, I totally missed that.

But nobody here seems to be wary of buying one with 100,000+ miles....the 100k mark kind of scares me... can anybody put my fears at ease
Mustangt125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #29
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ah my bad, I totally missed that.

But nobody here seems to be wary of buying one with 100,000+ miles....the 100k mark kind of scares me... can anybody put my fears at ease
Depends on the Jeep, and how it was taken care of.

There are guys here with the 4.0 and the V8 over 200,000. I had a 2003 4.0 WJ that I bought new, that we took to 215K before trading it in on a new WK2 for my girl. That was a great WJ. Still ran awesome.

Personally I'm a fan of the 4.0 My 4.0 TJ went to 240K before I sold it, and it was still running great.

Mileage alone is not a reason to buy or not buy any particular Jeep. All depends on how it was maintained.
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #30
DeChache
2003 WJ 

Quote:
I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP.

I live in Iowa and my old car was a Mustang, as badass as it was, I never want to have rear-wheel drive in the winter again. I want 4 wheel drive and I want a JEEP.

So far my research has focused on 99-04 Jeep Cherokees (any type) with under 100k miles, yet most of you don't seem wary to be buying one with, for example, 175k miles like Jebby. It's difficult to find a good one with under 100k... but if you can the prices I'm finding are closer to $8-10 thousand, does that seem fair?

I won't be able to spend over $10k so looking for a good deal.

This is the first car I will be buying myself so I want a decently low(ish) amount of miles on it so I can drive it for as long as it runs!

Unfortunately in Iowa anything that has 4WD or AWD doubles in price... People think it makes them invulnerable to snow. I found my 03 with a 140k for 5k in Iowa. Guy I bought it from bought it with 30k on the clock and if it squeeked it got fixed. I have no doubt that it has a 100k in it.

Check craigslist they used to be a couple of Overlands in Cedar Rapids with really low miles(40-50k) for 8-9K. If your not afraid of a little maintenance the higher mileage ones will be just as good.

To the OP I have a WJ and a WK. If you are looking for a solid DD I would go for the WK. I love my WJ my wife not so much. She likes her WK better and I agree hers is more pleasant to drive. I'm wondering how much that will change as I upgrade the suspension. Mine has an old BB and worn out shocks. I would drive both they each have their pros and cons.
DeChache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.