Hydraulic Fan Solenoid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hydraulic Fan Solenoid

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
AsphaltCowboy
2003 WJ 

Hydraulic Fan Solenoid- UPDATED WITH PICTURES!

The solenoid for my hydraulic cooling fan went out(yes I tested it). I found one in a junk yard and removed just the solenoid.

The one from the junkyard looks just like all the other ones I've seen pictures of online. http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7039/6...1959c87a_z.jpg

I then removed the one from my jeep, mine looks exactly the same however when it came out, there were male threads on the fan assembly and female threads on the solenoid. At first it appeared that the solenoid unscrewed in a different spot and half my solenoid was still stuck in my cooling fan assembly.

It looks like that's exactly what happened however after using pliers I was unable to remove what looks like the other half of my solenoid from the fan. I was also unable to unscrew the donor solenoid in an attempt to make it match mine.

Anyone ever try to remove one and run into this? I'm guessing you probably have no idea what I'm trying to explain unless you've done it before.

Basically I just had to put my old one back on and give up for the day. Only other option is to buy a whole new fan assembly.

Both my jeep and the donor jeep had a build date of 10/2002 which makes it even more weird that they would have different designs.

Unread 09-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
WJ4x4LIFE

Time for the questionnaire....

1.) Has your "MIL light" come on within a time frame that your believe is the same time your solenoid malfunctioned?

2.) Do you know of the "Technical Bulletin" placed under this issue with the year that could affect your WJ?
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
MWF
2002 WJ 

He's been through that in another thread WJ4x4Life.

Just checked my spare, male thread, does look like the body could separate.
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
AsphaltCowboy
2003 WJ 

I will take mine off again and post a pic of my solenoid and the threads on the fan assembly.
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
AsphaltCowboy
2003 WJ 

Ok well I took it off again to take some pictures.

Here it is all put together

This is what the solenoid looks like when it is removed. Solenoid is removed by unscrewing a single #40 torx screw from the rear of the solenoid.

Below is what the fan assembly looks like with the solenoid removed. It looks to me like I could put a vice grip on that piece and unscrew it, however if I'm wrong then my Jeep is obviously out of commission until I can find a whole new fan assembly.

This last picture is what the solenoid from the donor vehicle looks like, as well as every other solenoid I've seen a picture of. This is not my picture, found it online.

Unread 09-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltCowboy View Post
Ok well I took it off again to take some pictures.

Here it is all put together

This is what the solenoid looks like when it is removed. Solenoid is removed by unscrewing a single #40 torx screw from the rear of the solenoid.

Below is what the fan assembly looks like with the solenoid removed. It looks to me like I could put a vice grip on that piece and unscrew it, however if I'm wrong then my Jeep is obviously out of commission until I can find a whole new fan assembly.

This last picture is what the solenoid from the donor vehicle looks like, as well as every other solenoid I've seen a picture of. This is not my picture, found it online.

------------------------------------------------

oh, boy! Yes, that would be your fan solenoid as the same in the last photograph. Decide to break in half and seized up the threads on the other half....ouch! This is where my disclaimer comes in, You can try to remove it without damaging the assembly. I wish you the best of luck.
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
JustStew
2004 WJ 

Yeah that solenoid has seized and separated for sure.

That tech bulletin seems worthless around here....noone can get just the solenoid. They all want me to upgrade to the 3 wire one which requires total replacement. Omar can you get the 2 wire one?
JustStew is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStew View Post

That tech bulletin seems worthless around here....noone can get just the solenoid. They all want me to upgrade to the 3 wire one which requires total replacement. Omar can you get the 2 wire one?
------------------------------------------------------------------

http://wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_0700502.pdf

^ I would like to assume that this is the TECH BULLET you are referencing @, Right?!

-----------------------------------

I would like to have it broken down for reference for any future questions or problems. The part # 05102210AA, it is a solenoid for the fan, but to get the solenoid from Chrysler/Jeep has revised the solenoid to a new design and you will/should/could/would need a fan wiring part # 52080135AB, and # 52080135AB Fan shroud. BUT?! Many not ALL, dealerships have stop selling the solenoid alone, now you must buy the whole ****!, Unless you have guys in on the inside...

You are welcome........Look below....

http://www.hendrickmoparparts.com/OE...5102210AA.html

If you still cannot get it, then we can arrange something over PM.

-----------------------------------------------------
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
JustStew
2004 WJ 

Awesome! Thanks a ton man
JustStew is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
AsphaltCowboy
2003 WJ 

Has anyone else actually seen this happen before? It didn't technically break, it unscrewed in the wrong spot. After I took the pic I simple screwed it back on(the solenoid still does not function but it doesn't leak either).

I just want to be sure someone else has seen this happen before I try to remove it with a vice grip. I still might try to find a new fan assembly before I do it.
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStew View Post

Is it possible that you did not do step 6 in the removal procedure as shown in the attachment? It occurs to me that allowing the solenoid body to rotate could cause it to separate.
clipboard01.jpg  
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
AsphaltCowboy
2003 WJ 

Yes I did hold the body stationary but there isn't even enough clearance for the body to make one full rotation, the connector hits something. I removed the one from the donor vehicle and it came apart no problem.
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:32 AM   #13
MWF
2002 WJ 

The pic you found online is mine

I've never read about this happening before. Hope the rest comes out okay dude.
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
AsphaltCowboy
2003 WJ 

I'm just hoping to find someone else who's seen this happen. Obviously if I put a vice grip on that little brass fitting it's ruined and if it turns out this is some weird different design and I can't get that piece out then I'm completely screwed.
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
WJ4x4LIFE

:UPDATE:

This matter was solved a time ago, however I have been receiving many PM on this subject, if I am available to get one for those in need. I at one point was able too, I am no longer available to get any. I am sorry, but I can still provide any other information or help needed, please do not hesitate to PM me!

The options for those in need are 2, you have options. I have given them below to you can take it from there.

#1.) You can purchase a used working fan solenoid from another 4.7L WJ at your local Salvage Yard/Junk Yard. If you cannot get one, PM me and I can get you a USED working one with 1 yr warranty though myself!

#2.) You can move on and if you are mechanically inclined, go with the "FORD" FAN SOLENOID MOD. It will involve you replacing the factory CHRYSLER solenoid and install a FORD/LINCOLN fan solenoid in its place. *************DIRECT SWAP, with rewiring****************************

things needed for #2.) option.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. A new Fan Solenoid from a 00'-02' Lincoln LS(V8 4.6L), The part # (xw4z-3783-ca) is available through your local FORD dealership or through ME!

2. general wiring diagram and tools for re-splicing into the same connector.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I or any of us can do anything else, PLEASE LET US KNOW!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.