Humming Sounds While Driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Humming Sounds While Driving

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 04-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
crizo
2002 WJ 

Wj Humming Sounds While Driving

Hi guys,
I'm having an issue with my '02 Overland that I can't seem to figure out. As I'm driving there's a constant humming sound coming from somewhere under the car sounds to be around the front end. Fist off I know I need new wheels they are worn and don't appear to be the worn evenly possibly an alignment issue I ordered new tie rods,track bar and pitman arm want to install this stuff before I get an alignment done. My jeep is all time all wheel drive so I know this causes stress on the transfer case. However I've had the jeep for about a year and never had the issue till recently the sound is loud and annoying Does anyone know what could cause this or anyone experience this before?

Thank You

crizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Amadauss

1999 WJ 

When I hear about a humming noise, usually think wheel bearings. Any wet looking stuff on the inside of your tires?
Unread 04-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizo View Post
Hi guys,
I'm having an issue with my '02 Overland that I can't seem to figure out. As I'm driving there's a constant humming sound coming from somewhere under the car sounds to be around the front end. Fist off I know I need new wheels they are worn and don't appear to be the worn evenly possibly an alignment issue I ordered new tie rods,track bar and pitman arm want to install this stuff before I get an alignment done. My jeep is all time all wheel drive so I know this causes stress on the transfer case. However I've had the jeep for about a year and never had the issue till recently the sound is loud and annoying Does anyone know what could cause this or anyone experience this before?

Thank You
It could be the wheel bearings, but normally they produce a squeak. It may also be the differential (case) side bearings. Does the sound change with speed?

The transer case is made to operate in AWD (247). Driving it normally puts no stress on it at all.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
TexomaSmitty
1999 WJ 

X3 on the bearings. When my left rear started going bad it made a low pitch "humming" sound. When i replaced the hub I jacked up my ABS sleeve and had to replace it too, just FYI to go easy if you plan on doing it yourself.
TexomaSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.