Huh?? What is it??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Huh?? What is it???

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 05-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
DanniK13
1999 WJ 

Huh?? What is it???

Hi! I'm new to working on vehicles, but I can fix almost anything when put to it. So can anyone explain this to me?

image-591547815.jpg

The hose is covered in a very clean oil. It doesn't look like engine oil. It drips every so often.

Help?

DanniK13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Power steering hose.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
DanniK13
1999 WJ 

That's what I was thinking but the question is, should I just replace the hose? Power steering goes out when I try to park or cuts on and off while driving. Should I think about doing the pump too?
Unread 05-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

Does it have fluid in it??? If it's been run low for a while the pump is probably shot
Unread 05-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
DanniK13
1999 WJ 

It is 100% full, that's why I'm stumped.
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

I had a similar experience with an aftermarket A1 Cardone pump, where the power assist would cut out when turning the wheel at low speed (parking lots, turning from a stop light, etc). It took a couple of tries to get a pump that was quiet like the OE pump or wouldn't randomly cut out. If I were to do it again I would go with a reman'd Mopar pump.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Common replacement item.
You're losing pressure and air goes in & out, reducing assistance. Do not overfill that reservoir.

Take great care in putting the new hose in. It's easy to cross thread. Carefully examine the part the dealer provides you as a replacement too as some have reported getting a part that was not right.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
DanniK13
1999 WJ 

Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.