How to reset "Brake Warning" Light? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to reset "Brake Warning" Light?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
earthquake5683
2000 WJ 

I tried this tonight. It failed for me. This is what I did.

1. Have 2nd person hold brake pedal.
2. Open Front left bleeder screw. Tighten screw.
3. Started jeep engine
3. Slowly opened rear left bleeder screw..Really slow...a little at a time. light never went out
4. Tried again.
5. drank a few beers...gave up for the night.

My front wheels will not turn freely (when on jacks) right after I take it for a test drive. Like the calipers are locking up. But if I bleed the pressure off they are okay until I drive again. I'm thinking too much pressure is being sent to the front brakes and not enough to the rear....?

earthquake5683 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #17
lipripper
2001 WJ 

Haynes manual:
If air has found its way into the hydrolic control unit, the entire system must be manually bled, the with a DRB scan tool, then manually again.
lipripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #18
vvreddy

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipripper View Post
Haynes manual:
If air has found its way into the hydrolic control unit, the entire system must be manually bled, the with a DRB scan tool, then manually again.
What he said. Sounds like you let the reservoir run dry and air has got into the system. That is probably why it is locking up - the air expands when it gets hot which has the same result as pressing on the brakes.
vvreddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #19
lipripper
2001 WJ 

Seriously consider spending the $25 on a repair manual. Forums are a great way to share information, but not everbody is right...all the time. I had a 01 Tacoma, and when I wanted to swap out the CV axles, I read on a few forums that you only torque the axle bolt to 25lbs as not to damage the bearing. Well about 100 miles on the new cv the tire is wobbling back and forth. The bearing was shot. I bought a manual and the factory specs for torque said 225 ft/lbs. Big difference. Most people do their best to avoid sucking air in from the reservoir, so most people probably have not had this problem. The manual in BIG BOLD PRINT state what I said above in the brakes section. Good luck with the brakes. Keep us posted.
lipripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Has anyone else performed this procedure, my warning light is on and I want it to go out. I bled the breaks initially by having my wife push the pedals as I had to swap axles. My reservoir never went dry as I filled it to the top and swapped calipers quickly then bled to not risk getting air up into the ABS.

It would help me to know how the circuit is seperated so I know which to bleed to try and reset...I can try front left then right or front right/rear left....so many combinations. Thanks!
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #21
earthquake5683
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaudii View Post
Has anyone else performed this procedure, my warning light is on and I want it to go out. I bled the breaks initially by having my wife push the pedals as I had to swap axles. My reservoir never went dry as I filled it to the top and swapped calipers quickly then bled to not risk getting air up into the ABS.

It would help me to know how the circuit is seperated so I know which to bleed to try and reset...I can try front left then right or front right/rear left....so many combinations. Thanks!
I was unsuccessful at reseting my light. I bled the brakes using the pressureized bleed method and the pump-pump-hold style. I took it down to just-brakes and 40 or 60 bucks later it was fixed. They bled them and called it a day. It's the balancing valve portion that causes the issue. I know this isn't much help, but it does to help you in making a choice of taking it in or not. Hope this helps ya brotha.
earthquake5683 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #22
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Don't pump thr brakes when bleeding. A single stroke to the floor with the valve open, close valve, let up pedal, repeat.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #23
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

well any info from a jeep mechanic may help. I need to reset this lamp. can I take it off and reset it manually and then rebled?
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.