How to replace an axle shaft and/or a wheel hub bearing assembly w/PICS! - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to replace an axle shaft and/or a wheel hub bearing assembly w/PICS!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #286
n666z

So I did this and changed my front diff gear oil. Now my jeep is leaking the new gear oil out of the passenger side of the axle. You think my inner axle seal on my passenger side is shot and spewing out fluid or I overfilled the diff and the extra is coming out?? How much of a pain in the *** is the front inner axle seal?

Could this really be as simple as the front diff being overfilled with gear oil?? it's been about 4 weeks now since I did this and no new fluid is leaking out now but I haven't checked to see if it's low or empty yet?

n666z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #287
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

It sounds like you may have hit the inner seal with the shaft when you were putting it in.

That seal is not as easy to replace as the shafts are unfortunately.

You really can't overfill the diff. You pull the plug and pump in gear oil until it reaches the bottom of the hole.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #288
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

2000 WJ Limited bone stock (Wifes rig)
Rumpeltiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #289
n666z

Well I do remember plugging it while it was still spewing out of the fill hole that's the only reason I ask. How long do the inner seals go for under normal use? I have 124,000 miles on them you think it's time to change it anyhow?
n666z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #290
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

They can go 10k miles, they can go 300k miles. If you whack them with an axle shaft, they can go right away.

You filled it correctly, just bad luck with the seal in my opinion.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #291
ldeforrest

I’ve got an issue with my passenger side CV Axle on a 1999 WJ with QD. I had it replaced at a local mechanic because of a torn boot. Went off-roading the next day and all was well until going up steep inclines under power, I heard a “clunk, clunk, clunk”at seemingly random, but frequent times. Usually at low speeds, but always under load. Took it back to the mechanic who said I needed shocks and ball joints. So I bit the bullet and replaced the ball joints and shocks myself and at the same time swapped in a passenger side axle from Autozone. All was just fine – on and off road – for about 500 miles. Now the clunk, clunk, clunk is back, but only at high speeds (above 60 mph) and under load, like passing. The clunk, clunk, clunk is about 2 to 4 timesa second. One more thing. Both CV joint boots (from my mechanic and fromAutoZone) touch the axle tube when turning. Also, I noticed the diff’s oil seal rides on the very edge of the polished area for the mechanic’s axle (I bet it does the same on the Autozone axle too).

Any idea what could be causing the clunk, clunk, clunk noise? Could this be a case of non-OEM axles not fitting my car? Or since I don’t know if my mechanic replaced the front diff gear oil or not, if the diff oil was added without friction modifies, could that cause the clunk, clunk, clunk noise? I’m at a loss what to do next. I hate just replacing parts.
ldeforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #292
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeforrest
if the diff oil was added without friction modifies.
This is what I would guess...just a guess though

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

2000 WJ Limited bone stock (Wifes rig)
Rumpeltiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #293
roybatty

Very cool thread; thanks Arlo et al. Everything came off fine EXCEPT the hub. Ended up using the air chisel and then needed the air grinder to smooth the mating surfaces down. Another issue was the Ebay part was too long...thank God for the local Auto part store.

Slathered surfaces with anti sieze and took time to clean the bolts and threads using this>>>

She turns butter smooth now =)

Last edited by roybatty; 11-27-2013 at 06:46 AM..
roybatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #294
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Theres no mentoin of what the 2 18mm caliper bolts should be torqued to.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #295
Big_Wall
2010 JK Wrangler 

Subscribed
Big_Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #296
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
Theres no mentoin of what the 2 18mm caliper bolts should be torqued to.
'Notgonnafallthehelloff nM of torque'

Honestly, I've always just cranked them till they were tight. Some will probably scold me for this, but I haven't had any failure of the bolts yet.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #297
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post

'Notgonnafallthehelloff nM of torque'

Honestly, I've always just cranked them till they were tight. Some will probably scold me for this, but I haven't had any failure of the bolts yet.
Ah yes, the German method of gutentight

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #298
roybatty

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...liper-and-pins

caliper also 75 ftlbs
roybatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #299
Jimmer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybatty View Post
I am not sure if this is the for the WJs, but I think the torque specification for the 2-18mm caliper slider bolts for ZJ is as follows:

Brake Caliper Mounting Bolts - 7-15 ft.lbs.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #300
Jimmer
1998 ZJ 

When I started searching the forums, I didn't realize this was in the WJ forum, but it is a very helpful write-up that I used for replacing the driver side CV axle on my 1998 ZJ. Getting the 3 hub bolts broke loose and the hub/bearing broke free were the biggest challenges for me. I highly recommend PB Blasting every bolt, nut, and mating surface several times over 2 or 3 days before you start. This is probably a 15 minute job if you don't have any rust. Thank you.

I found all of the following ZJ torque specifications for this task in another thread and were stated to have been taken from a 93-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Factory Service Manual for 4.0L I6 and 5.2L V8:

Lug Nut - 109-150 Nm / 80-110 ft.lbs.
Hub/Knuckle Mounting Bolts - 102 Nm / 75 ft.lbs
Hub Nut - 237 Nm / 175 ft.lbs.
Brake Caliper Mounting Bolts - 7-15 ft.lbs.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.