How to remove Lock cylinder when key will not turn?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to remove Lock cylinder when key will not turn??

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
j_internet
2002 WJ 

Wj How to remove Lock cylinder when key will not turn??

Hi,
I have a 2002 GC. Was having problems iwth the ignition key and now it will not unlock. I have pulled the colum casing and the console cable so I know that it is the lock cylinder.

From reading the fourms if I get the key to go forward I can depress the tab and it will come out. Thie issue is that I can not move the key forward so the tab will be free to depress.

How can I get the cylinder out? Is there a write up somewhere?

Thanks !!

j_internet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

i called a locksmith. he built a cylinder to fit my factory keys for about $200

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Phranc
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_internet View Post
Hi,
I have a 2002 GC. Was having problems iwth the ignition key and now it will not unlock. I have pulled the colum casing and the console cable so I know that it is the lock cylinder.

From reading the fourms if I get the key to go forward I can depress the tab and it will come out. Thie issue is that I can not move the key forward so the tab will be free to depress.

How can I get the cylinder out? Is there a write up somewhere?

Thanks !!
Have you tried "bumping" it? Put pressure on the key with one hand, trying to turn it to run. Tap the end with a hammer. You may have to do it a time or two. you may also have to rap it pretty smartly, Be sure to keep the pressure on the key while bumping.
Unread 01-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
j_internet
2002 WJ 

Yes I did try that. I had no luck after a couple of hours in the cold sitting at Mobil at the pumps..... So I ended up taking it apart to start it. I ended up going to the dealer as they would do right away. They socked it too me for 375. Even though I had the colum apart and all they needed to do remove the cylinder and put it back together. So two book hours later... (really took them 45 min) it was done. My question is how did they get it out if the ley would not turn..
j_internet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Phranc
2001 WJ 

They probably weren't afraid to really smack the crap out of the end of the key to jar the tumblers loose. Or they have some sooper-secret tool.
Unread 01-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same exact issue on my XJ... key got stuck in the ignition cylinder and I couldnt turn it to get it out. After about 2 hrs in a parking lot one of my friends leaned on the steering wheel which rotated it just enough to disengage the... yupp... you guessed it... steering wheel lock. Yeah turns out all I had to do was wiggle the wheel and it woulda unlatched itself. Glad I didnt call a tow truck. This may have been a contributing factor to your issue. If it was I'd be very dissapointed if the techs charged this long. Chances are they couldnt figure it out either lol and charged you on labor.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

That's too bad about the cost on that. For reference, here was my similar issue. Hope it can help someone else out in the future.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/k...o-turn-597301/
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
dyanab

Wj key in ignition wont turn

I had this happen to my 2000 GC, had it towed home & husband couldn't get it out. This afternoon I was so mad. I got in the jeep, put key in and pushed hard while turning to start, (with left hand) then with right hand hit the end of key with hammer 3x while I had pressure holding the key in and turning to start. It finally released!!. So if you use the tapping method make sure to push key in firmly while turning!! That's the secret...if I can do it, anyone can!!
dyanab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.