Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

How many miles on your WJ

How many Miles on you WJ

64K views 369 replies 269 participants last post by  retrvrtrainer 
#1 ·
I have not seen one of these threads for a few years, and I think its good info to have around.

Please participate in the poll than comment below.
Please include year, engine, oil used,any major failure and at what mi. it happened and classify your maintenance habits based on the scale below.
Also include any information relevant to your mileage that is not mentioned above.

I cant tell anybody what to do BUT I can ask; it would be great if we can keep comments (other than your response to the to the original thread) to a minimum in an effort to keep the thread easy to look through for info purposes and reference purposes.

Maintenance scale
1) I just change my oil and fix things when they break.
2) I follow the owners manual "scheduled maintenance".
3) I am obsessive compulsive about maintenance and loose sleep when I don't understand the chemical compounds of a fluid I am using in my JEEP.

#107 ·
00 wj i6 2wd 241k no major repairs suspension is pretty worn tho

00 wj v8 quadra drive 130k replaced front axle transfer case and drive shaft (just bought it with rebuilt title)

I use valveoline high mileage in both

#110 ·
03 Limited 4.7 non HO QD 142k. A radiator a couple water pumps and and an oil pan gasket still going strong. Mobile 1 5-30w for the cold months. Will prob go to 10-30 for the summer.

I'm probably around a 2.75 on the maintenance scale.

#113 ·
1999 WJ Limited 4.0 w/ 248K miles
Replaced oil sender, rebuild front driveshaft, Alternator, water pump

Don't know other maintenance since I just bought it for $800. I will say all the fluids are very clean but the rear diff makes noises. That'll be my summer project to rebuild.

#115 ·
Havnt check this thread in a while.....
I gotta tell ya its a bit frustrating that some people just simply cant follow directions, We have had mods babysit threads in past years and delete posts that did not follow the initial rules set forth.....Maybe we gotta do that here.

My purpose of this thread is to make a reference point for new owners and current owners and maybe a database of :
mileage accomplished with X brand and weight of oil
(allot of oil debates around here)
common failure points per year and engine
(helps with a PREVENTATIVE maintenance schedule)
how does maintenance affect all of the above
over all lifespan of components
and so forth !

Allot of us guys that have been here for several years like to have reference points to send newbies to rather than posting the same info all the time.

PLEASE just simply follow the rules listed, If not please dont post !!
There in the very first post with an example following....

I'm looking for people who know there vehicle and have owned it for a long time or since new.

#117 ·
160k as of last month, it has been an absolute beast this winter

never a major failure with the vehicle besides cracked heater core that needed to be swapped out a few years back

always maintained at dealer

oh yeah and it needed a new half axle at some point that was covered under warranty, never figured out what happened there i was a teenager (an idiot)

#118 ·
5w-40 Rotella, Wix filters (fram ultra on right now) (got it for $3)
I replaced starter, radiator, water pump,
Dosnt leak any fluids, (that i can see)
runs great and no rust on the body,
Tho Suspension needs work, shocks are shot and springs are saggin,
Im a 3.5

#119 ·
2004, 4.0
164K (new to me with 72K in 07')
42RE
247 TC
D30/D35 Redline 75w-140
Being from Indiana and living in Maryland and having family as far north as Watertown, NY, my wife and I like to drive bc it's easier and can pack more stuff as well as road trips...
No major failures, JEEP still runs and drives like new as well... changed out the radiator last summer with a friend...
I run Mobil 1 10w-30 living in Maryland, but now running 5W-30 HM in Arizona. Mopar, Wix, or K&N oil filters
Mopar Tranny & TC fluids - too scared to use anything else
I am a 2.5 with maintenance, especially since I found out I can do it myself
On going suspension upgrade project...
2nd Owner

#122 ·
just hit 139k today
Literally 6 posts before you:

Havnt check this thread in a while.....
I gotta tell ya its a bit frustrating that some people just simply cant follow directions, We have had mods babysit threads in past years and delete posts that did not follow the initial rules set forth.....Maybe we gotta do that here.

My purpose of this thread is to make a reference point for new owners and current owners and maybe a database of :
mileage accomplished with X brand and weight of oil
(allot of oil debates around here)
common failure points per year and engine
(helps with a PREVENTATIVE maintenance schedule)
how does maintenance affect all of the above
over all lifespan of components
and so forth !

Allot of us guys that have been here for several years like to have reference points to send newbies to rather than posting the same info all the time.

PLEASE just simply follow the rules listed, If not please dont post !!
There in the very first post with an example following....

I'm looking for people who know there vehicle and have owned it for a long time or since new.

#124 ·
:brickwall

Impressive mileage though!

#125 ·
ChrisHager said:
:brickwall Impressive mileage though!
I would've added info on the oil used. However I'm the third owner, and have only had the privilege of putting around 500 miles on her.

I can say though, that it has been maintained on time with records for its whole life, from dealerships as well as multiple times from a Walmart. Which should go to say that as long as your jeep has good fresh oil on time you should have no worries reaching miles as high as mine.

#126 ·
Chris/wsar,
Is this what you're looking for??

2004 Laredo / 4.0 / Rotella T5 / 142,500mi
I am a 3 on the Maintenance scale, I want to know what's making every noise down there.

No major failures aside from the CPS leaving me stranded 3 blocks from my house 2 years ago.
I switched to T5 and now 95% of the lifter tick is gone. I also throw Seafoam in the crank case before every change just to release any stuck on crap.

Attachments

#128 ·
139,000 miles
2002 4.0
242 Selec-Trac
Vari-lock axles swapped in at 135k. Redline 80W140 front and rear.
MOPAR trans and transfer case fluids. Filters and fluids changed on schedule.
Various 10W30 oils. Last was Rotella and now I'm using Chevron Supreme with the larger Wix filter.

Transmission failure at 36k. Could have just been a solenoid or valve body but the shop made more money "rebuilding" it.
Driver's window regulator at 60k
Electric fan solenoid at 75k
New isolators, BDS springs, shocks, & RSB mounts at 112k
Water pump bearing failed at 115k
Radiator cracked at 125k
Replaced rear main seal and valve cover gasket at 130k due to leaks
Front pinion seal blew out at 138k

I'm something above a 3 on maintenance, I can't have a failure happen on the way to work or if I'm out of town but I'm too cheap to buy a second commuter vehicle.

#129 ·
1999 4.0 Laredo
42RE
321k with regular oil changes usin 5W-30 or 10W-30 depending on the weather.
The original engine seized up @241K a few years ago. I replaced it with a used junkyard engine with an unknown number of miles on it.
I just had my shift solenoid and pressure govenor replaced last weekend - it was stuck in 3rd gear for the last 6 months.
While I had the jeep I've replaced the engine, radiator, water pump, fan relay, starter, power window regulator and tailights. I still have a small transmision fluid leak due to bad lines, and a little Death Wobble. I'm going to try an alignment since I know it is over due. I'd like to replace my shocks first but we'll see how the budget goes.
I consider myself a 3 on the maintenance side.
I brought the Jeep used in 2007 for 4 grand and it's been very dependable (other than the engine replcement)

#132 ·
2001 Stone White Limited, 4.0, 42re. 4" lift, swapped both axles and had to replace rad and water pump.
2nd owner at 118k sitting at just under 150k. Been running whatever oil is priced right, Always seem to be low on money when oil change time comes around every 3k miles. I've run Oreilly's, valvoline, and mobil 1 through it lol

Other than trans TCC solenoid it runs nearly perfect

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.