how long does your dub take to heat up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > how long does your dub take to heat up?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 02-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
WJlover
1999 WJ 

how long does your dub take to heat up?

i just want to make sure im not the only one.

on a cold morning, i run out to my jeep, start it and run back inside like any new englander does.
but it seems to be taking upwards of 30 minutes to get to temp! every other car ive owned has taken 10-15 minutes.

that and my heat is luke warm so its not like letting it heat up really matters.
anyone else?

WJlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
AntonWJ

My WJ I6 takes about 15min to warm up on a cold morning (28F) but it never even reaches close to the 240 mark on the temp gauge (dead center). But I do have a problem with the thermostat that I need to replace.
AntonWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I think today it was high 20's when I started mine. I drove 2 miles and it was warming up enough to turn the heat on. Usually, 5 minutes of driving or so and I'm good to go. I agree with the above as well - mine never reaches the 240 mark.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
jefflacy
2002 WJ 

I had that problem with my jeep before the motor locked up. would go out 20 min early and start it 10-20deg out side and drive to work 10 min with no heat. I had a leak at the thermostat. Pulled in in the shop to look at it because the temps was dropping to 0-5 deg. Found out had air in the system I think from the leak. Got that out did same thing on the really cold days and had hot heat hot a nuff I had to turn it down.
jefflacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
vettedude
2004 WJ 

The temp outside today 10 degrees, drove about 2 miles and the engine temp got to 150 and the heat turned on.
General Grabber AT2 265/65/17
vettedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
I think today it was high 20's when I started mine. I drove 2 miles and it was warming up enough to turn the heat on. Usually, 5 minutes of driving or so and I'm good to go. I agree with the above as well - mine never reaches the 240 mark.
Same, after about 5 2-3 minutes its hitting 140-150 on my temp gauge and I turn the heat on low, by 10 minutes the thermostat has already opened up and its toasty warm air coming out of the vents.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
WJlover
1999 WJ 

i could drive mine for 5 miles and it will just be getting warm by the end.
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
1salem1
2002 WJ 

It depends on the oil you use i was using 5w30 and it take less time to get warm than the 10w30 which i now use
1salem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
WJlover
1999 WJ 

im using 5w 30 now. was using 10w40 before and no change.

once i have the money ill replace the thermo and maybe do a coolant flush.
probably needing one anyways.
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
KonLegend
2005 WK 

I would start with your cooling system. It is a possibility that your thermostat is open or partially stuck open, not allowing your vehicle to warm up to temp without not being cooled down. 30 minutes is quite a bit to reach temp, even in these temperatures. Air in the cooling system will actually do the opposite, and the thermostat may not want to open due to the trapped air. Causing it to not open and reach optimal temp faster than usual.

Start with the easy things first, and I would start by checking on your thermostat to be sure it isn't open all the time.
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
KonLegend
2005 WK 

And if your heat isn't very warm after it's optimal temperature, you may have 1 or more things going on. Low coolant, stuck open thermostat, plugged heater core, air in the system, plugged cooling system aswell. Recirc doors go, blend doors go, HVAC assemblies go....
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
WJlover
1999 WJ 

ill start with the cooling system.
dont know much about the heater core but i see enough on here that makes me never want to go near it.
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
uberjon
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonLegend View Post
And if your heat isn't very warm after it's optimal temperature, you may have 1 or more things going on. Low coolant, stuck open thermostat, plugged heater core, air in the system, plugged cooling system aswell. Recirc doors go, blend doors go, HVAC assemblies go....
Quick question. My jeep seems to output great heat on the recirculation setting, but rather poorly on all others. Would that suggest recirculating door fine but blend faulty?
uberjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjon View Post
Quick question. My jeep seems to output great heat on the recirculation setting, but rather poorly on all others. Would that suggest recirculating door fine but blend faulty?

That usually is the case, although I have seen malfunctioning recirc doors and blend doors at the same time that have that same symptom. But yes, that does shout blend door to me, may want a few opinions
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJlover View Post
ill start with the cooling system.
dont know much about the heater core but i see enough on here that makes me never want to go near it.
Is yours the 4.0 or 4.7? Heater cores are fairly simply to flush, the 4.7's best spot is right behind your PCV Valve, or oil cap. Follow those lines down and you will see it plug into the block, that's where I flush mine out. The 4.0's are easier, and the trick to doing those flushes, is to back flush the core a few times. I would start with flushing it the way the coolant goes through, ( usually it's the top heater core hose ).
Hook a hose up to one end and let it run out the other hose, ( you should have 2 heater lines disconnected ). Then repeat the opposite way. Some use compressed air as well, just be careful not to use too much as you can rupture a core doing so. Make sure there is water in the core if you use air.

It's a good maintenance anyways to do, I work at a Midas shop so I get really good discounts, but I flush the heater core out at least once a year.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.