How to: Hid reverse light writeup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to: Hid reverse light writeup

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

How To: Hid Reverse Light Writeup -- Finally!!

Whatsup guys!
I know I was suppose to have done this on tuesday, but we're doing inventory this week at work so my shifts changed and last night i got sick. sooo, with today off i could finally finish this up.

Material Used:
1. Bi-xenon h4 10k HID's (hi/lo wouldnt have worked due to a dual-filament setup)
2. Quick Wire Splicers
3. 14guage wire
4. Male & Female Connectors
5. L brackets (I used aluminum and bent it into an L bracket)
6. Rivets (I used 5/32 up top and 3/16 on the bottom)
7. Electric Drill and Drill Bits
8. Dremel to clean the drilling and widen the socket
9. Silicone
10. Industrial zip ties and double sided tape
11. Phillips and Flat head screwdriver

K well i think thats it, So lets start!

First, remove these two screws, and pull out the tail light. It may be difficult cause of corrosion on the tab, but it pops out with some effort.

With the tail light off, look for the last plug. Twist and pull her out.

Use a flat head screw driver and pry at the point where my finger is, to remove the socket holding the bulb from the plug. it will make a cracking sound, but thats completely fine.

With the socket out, drill a hole large enough for the connectors of the HID bulb to fit through, and widen the plug so the bulb can sit into it.
THIS MAY TAKE MULTIPLE TIMES TO MAKE IT WIDE ENOUGH TO FIT.
What I did was dremel around and around slowly taking off some plastic and test fitting the bulb till it was snug.

After it fits snug, I used silicone to get a good seal

Now that the Bulb is DONE, we can mount the ballasts and do the wiring.

**SORRY, i have no pics of the rear BUMPER removal but its too easy to do.**

With the bumper off, I aluminum bar, 1/8" by 1" wide, and bent some L brackets for the ballasts. Once i found a perfect spot, i took measurements and riveted them in here:

The top rivet is 5/32, and bottom is 3/16 due to the lower rivet going through the bend of the body.
I then slapped on some Industrial Strength double sided tape (can hold 5 pounds!), onto the ballast, and rested it on the bracket. On the side of the ballast i drilled a hole large enough for a industrial strength zip tie (rated at 75lbs), so i could ensure the ballast staying on that bracket. BOY IS IT STRONG!!

Wire up your HID's to the bulb now.

As for the power and ground wires:

When you get the kit, the ground and power wires come in a plug. Simply take it out of the plug so you can then splice them into the wires for the tail light.
MY GREEN WIRE IS COMING FROM MY BALLAST NEGATIVE, AND ITS GOING TO THE BLACK NEGATIVE WIRE FROM THE TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY.

THE BLACK WIRE IS MY HID POSITIVE, AND ITS GOING TO THE PURPLE W/ BLACK STRIPE POSITIVE WIRE FROM THE TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY.

test it out before putting your rear bumper back on..if it works then congratulations!! you are now done!!

Here's how it should look:

Cheers!!

alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

Thats awesome, any pics of how bright things are when reversing. view from inside would be good
Unread 05-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

Thanks man!
But pics from the inside will do no good...my tint is 5% over 5%...

Heres videos of it though from my cell phone:

Unread 05-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

While it looks great, I don't think that backup lights are an appropriate use for HIDs. The incessant on/off of the reverse lights will quickly kill the ballasts and/or the bulbs. Not to mention that by the time the lights are warmed up, you will already be in drive. My .
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Sohcvtec1995
2001 WJ 

not going to lie.. but thats just stupid
Sohcvtec1995 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

i have a longgggggg driveway, so by the time i get myself lined up it'll be bright. i wanted brighter reverse lights without having something low and vulnerable to being smashed while off-roading. and HID's are cheap, i did this whole thing for 30 bucks tops.

and single slammer - keep your negative crap off of this before my jdm H deuce deuce takes a crap on that 1.6v kidding! lucky i sold that thing...
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
straty1987

lol i remember this from the other jeep site you posted. probly out of 1000 people it will work for 1.

want to see in the long run what going to happen to the wiring and tail light housing.

these light are not good for city use but to each there own
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Biggie862005
2000 WJ 

I agree with others, that is pointless. HID doesnt really have a place in reverse lights. With it being on for MAYBE 10-15 seconds max your bulbs will live a very short life. In fact, its probably a toss up which will crap out first, your bulbs or the wiring. Very highly doubt that wiring meant for the stock reverse bulb will stand up to the current that ballasts draw on start-up for long...And as straty said, you will more then likely melt the housing. And I know you are going to say that HID's run cooler then halogens, but thats comparing a 35w halogen to a 35w HID. That bulb is no doubt running WAY hotter then the stock reverse bulb. Just some food for thought

Biggie862005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

I've left in on for about 3-5 minutes a couple times already just to test what the heat will do in the housing.

hmm. this is actually my first posting on it, must be someone else from another forum. haha.
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
Biggie862005
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysHI View Post
I've left in on for about 3-5 minutes a couple times already just to test what the heat will do in the housing.

hmm. this is actually my first posting on it, must be someone else from another forum. haha.
I would be more worried about the wiring then the housing. At least the housing can be replaced easily. If you fry the stock wiring harness, which you probably will, then you will have a serious issue on your hands.
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie862005 View Post
I agree with others, that is pointless. HID doesnt really have a place in reverse lights. With it being on for MAYBE 10-15 seconds max your bulbs will live a very short life. In fact, its probably a toss up which will crap out first, your bulbs or the wiring. Very highly doubt that wiring meant for the stock reverse bulb will stand up to the current that ballasts draw on start-up for long...And as straty said, you will more then likely melt the housing. And I know you are going to say that HID's run cooler then halogens, but thats comparing a 35w halogen to a 35w HID. That bulb is no doubt running WAY hotter then the stock reverse bulb. Just some food for thought

I honestly dont care of replacing the bulbs or ballasts really.

HAHA! NO, i am not gonna say they run cooler, you dont know me.
But i've ran them in the housing for quite a long period of time, and the housing will handle.
This is NOT my first HID kit, so just chill out guys. sheshhh, never thought i'd run into sooooo much crap just for posting something that people have inquired about.
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #12
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie862005 View Post
I would be more worried about the wiring then the housing. At least the housing can be replaced easily. If you fry the stock wiring harness, which you probably will, then you will have a serious issue on your hands.
Not a sarcastic question, but out of pure curiosity - then why do HID companies supply their wiring with the same gauge wires? the kits i've ran in this jeep, and previous vehicles never go smaller than an 18g, never more than 14g.
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #13
straty1987

sorry it was not you, someone else on jeep garage http://www.**********.org/showthread.php?t=22757

Quote:
I honestly dont care of replacing the bulbs or ballasts really.

HAHA! NO, i am not gonna say they run cooler, you dont know me.
But i've ran them in the housing for quite a long period of time, and the housing will handle.
This is NOT my first HID kit, so just chill out guys. sheshhh, never thought i'd run into sooooo much crap just for posting something that people have inquired about.

its a open forum and this tread might go on for a few pages but its a Friday so might be burred

Quote:
Not a sarcastic question, but out of pure curiosity - then why do HID companies supply their wiring with the same gauge wires? the kits i've ran in this jeep, and previous vehicles never go smaller than an 18g, never more than 14g.
the cables supply look like 16 gauge but have thine copped in most of the time. they make HID kits for like $15 and resell for $30- $150 depending on were you get form.

HID blaster are power hungry little things that's why some people need a harness and other run it so the load dose not kill there stock cables. even then the cable is a shorter ran then from the front o the rear of the jeep since headlights are near the fuse blocks
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #14
Biggie862005
2000 WJ 

Not giving you crap, just giving you something to think about. Like I said above, the housing is a miniscule issue compared to the wiring issue that you are getting into...
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #15
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straty1987 View Post
sorry it was not you, someone else on ********** http://www.**********.org/showthread.php?t=22757
idk why it isn't showing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.