How to fix your wj steering problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to fix your wj steering problems

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 11-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
davidwulf
1997 ZJ 

How to fix your wj steering problems

Well first off i like many others on here have been chasing a lose or sloppy steering for a while . I have read every thread ever written on steering problems , yea been reading a lot . My 04 has had lose steering and what i and others call a dead spot . So I started with a RED HEAD steering gear made a diff but not quite there , put in MOOG tie rod ends and they have grease fittings . Ok steering is better but still have that dead spot , and what i mean by daed spot is going down the road straight you can move the wheel back and forth a little but enough to make driving it a PITA . So went today and got new pump and high pressure hose installed them and it was better but still have that dead spot there . During my reading of threads I came across one where the guy tack welded the slip joint on the steering shaft , well I'am thinking his was way lose to have to do that . Well i take a look at mine and can see just a small amount of play not enough to even consider but I will try anything now. So i pull out my HOBART mig unhook batts and put a good tack on it .Well i take it out for a drive and it s just unblieveable its fixed . The best tightest steering you could ever want . So in closing these dead spots that some of us have is most likely the steering shaft and welding is probably not the proper way to do it but it works .

Unread 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwulf
Well first off i like many others on here have been chasing a lose or sloppy steering for a while . I have read every thread ever written on steering problems , yea been reading a lot . My 04 has had lose steering and what i and others call a dead spot . So I started with a RED HEAD steering gear made a diff but not quite there , put in MOOG tie rod ends and they have grease fittings . Ok steering is better but still have that dead spot , and what i mean by daed spot is going down the road straight you can move the wheel back and forth a little but enough to make driving it a PITA . So went today and got new pump and high pressure hose installed them and it was better but still have that dead spot there . During my reading of threads I came across one where the guy tack welded the slip joint on the steering shaft , well I'am thinking his was way lose to have to do that . Well i take a look at mine and can see just a small amount of play not enough to even consider but I will try anything now. So i pull out my HOBART mig unhook batts and put a good tack on it .Well i take it out for a drive and it s just unblieveable its fixed . The best tightest steering you could ever want . So in closing these dead spots that some of us have is most likely the steering shaft and welding is probably not the proper way to do it but it works .
Awesome! Going to have to try this can you provide some pics! Thanks
Unread 11-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
davidwulf
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSiltSurfer View Post
Awesome! Going to have to try this can you provide some pics! Thanks
Will try to post some up but its pretty simple. right where the lower shaft slides in to the upper put a tack weld . You have to be careful and make sure its just a tack , it has to be able to break lose if you are in a wreck .
Unread 11-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:

Will try to post some up but its pretty simple. right where the lower shaft slides in to the upper put a tack weld . You have to be careful and make sure its just a tack , it has to be able to break lose if you are in a wreck .
What's with the wreck deal? I havent changed stock box yet bur I just got all new ball joints & all new steering Components(drag,track,tieros) so Anyhow going to try this tomorrow hopefully kill that dead spot thanks
Unread 11-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSiltSurfer View Post
What's with the wreck deal?
steering shafts are designed to collapse into itself in case you get into a frontal wreck, if you weld it more than just a tack, it will be solid and if you crash your rig and the shaft is not able to collapse the steering shaft will either push the steering wheel into you, or push the column through the wheel and it then will in turn go through you
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

West Virginia Jeep Club member
JEEPINWV.COM
kc2mrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
davidwulf
1997 ZJ 

The slip joint is there for movement , if it were a solid tube and you had a front impact then the steering wheel could come though and hit you . So with the slip tube if that happens it will compress and the wheel stays put . So just a tack so it will hold it and break upon impact .
Unread 11-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Dusk53
2000 WJ 

Curious as to why OP expects me to read that long *** paragraph.

East Carolina University
Dusk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2mrg

steering shafts are designed to collapse into itself in case you get into a frontal wreck, if you weld it more than just a tack, it will be solid and if you crash your rig and the shaft is not able to collapse the steering shaft will either push the steering wheel into you, or push the column through the wheel and it then will in turn go through you
Damn. Ok so just a tac lol
Unread 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
davidwulf
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk53 View Post
Curious as to why OP expects me to read that long *** paragraph.
Hell read what ever you want . I you don't then don't . Hell you don't have to read this , getting to long for you . Have a nice day
Unread 11-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Ok I'm about to try this exactly which one is the slip joint? Thanks again
image-1945698856.jpg   image-2615639913.jpg  
Unread 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
davidwulf
1997 ZJ 

Its the upper pic where the rubber boot is , slide the rubber boot down and you will see where the bottom slides into the top section .
Unread 11-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Its the upper pic where the rubber boot is , slide the rubber boot down and you will see where the bottom slides into the top section .
Lol took it too my buddies shop and he refused to do it, guess ill start by adjusting slack in box first then maybe find a welder who doesn't care
Unread 11-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

Why would he refuse?
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeJokee
Why would he refuse?
Safety and peace of mind on his part,maybe ill try gorilla glue Lmao
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSiltSurfer

Safety and peace of mind on his part,maybe ill try gorilla glue Lmao
Wow, it actually worked dde32 gorilla glue is magic I swear! My dead spot is gone now and it hasn't even dried fully...Glory & Godbless America!! Carry on friends

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.