How to fix that Infinity Amp. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to fix that Infinity Amp.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wi

Unread 11-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

How to fix that Infinity Amp.

OK, so a member here hooked me up with an Infinity Amp for my WJ, and it worked great for a while, then kind of.......puked.

I don't have time or money to completely replace my sound system, so I had a thought. I read on WJJeeps that the stereo put out the normal 60-whatever watts, which is fine for me. So, me and a buddy whipped out an oscilloscope, to check and see if we actually get that.

We jumpered a speaker at the amp connector, and took a reading....

Success! Now we just had to modify the amp......nothing a band saw can't handle!

We cut the connector end right off of it, and used that to create a bypass that goes right into the amp casing. This way, the car's original wiring is unmolested, and all the surgery is contained within the amp case.....

As you see, the diagram is nicely printed, right on the board. Made this about a twenty minute deal.

Oh, and my sound system doesn't cut out anymore.

Tim

Unread 11-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

or you could have easily just cut out the two connectors that attach to the infinity amp and wired the speakers directly together, but hey it looks like you got some good experience with soldering on circuit boards!
99_wj_QD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
DarkStarr
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD View Post
or you could have easily just cut out the two connectors that attach to the infinity amp and wired the speakers directly together, but hey it looks like you got some good experience with soldering on circuit boards!
But as stated the entire purpose here was to not modify the existing wiring, maybe in the future he gets an amp he could throw it back in.
DarkStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD View Post
A+ for sounding like an idiot and not reading the entire post. Take your arrogance elsewhere.

OP: nice job on that! I like the stock look. I've been thinking about doing something similar since I've replace the stock headunit, I don't have much need for the crappy infinity amp.

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
RoadZOmbie

My front speakers and tweeters are coming in low. Will doing this bypass fix that issue?
RoadZOmbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

Maybe. Tough to say for certain. My dash speakers are blown, and doing this mod cuts them out.
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

I should elaborate....my amp was cutting out totally, and at times, introducing noise into the sound system. So, unless you are dying to have a four speaker system, and wanting the amp gone, because you know it's bad, this may not be the way to go. I'm not requiring anything that wins sound competitions, so it's fine for me.

Tim

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.