How does Quadra Drive Compare to Select Trac on Snowy Roads? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How does Quadra Drive Compare to Select Trac on Snowy Roads?

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread Yesterday, 07:26 PM   #1
Jeepwalker1
1987 XJ Cherokee 

How does Quadra Drive Compare to Select Trac on Snowy Roads?

Hey all. First post.

Just picked up an 03 Overland. Wife's DD. Have had lots of GC's but with Select Trac. Here in WI we get lots of winter snow. For just country road driving when there is 3-4" of snow on the roads, would a Quadra Drive system stay mostly in 2wd? And if so, does that make it any more squirrely than a GC with Select Trac in 'Part Time' with the center diff locked? I'm talking about firm-footedness just cruising down the road at 30-40 mph, not trying to get unstuck from a ditch or something.

Would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks in advance

Jeepwalker

Unread Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #2
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Quadra Drive would be more stable than a locked center diff.
It can switch torque to the wheel with the most grip, in 1/2 a rotation.
With a locked center diff, torque is 50/50 front to back, even if the front has lost grip. That causes loss of control greater than Quadra drive that will sense the front end slip, reduce the torque to the front and thus keep better control. And the same if the rear should loose traction.

No 4wd system can overcome the limits of the conditions, driver prudence must always be for the conditions.
Darnice is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:43 PM   #3
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

I own two 04 QD WJ's and also owned a 99 WJ with QD. QD is great in snowy conditions, I have never felt like I was going to spin out or lose control; drives like a champ
99SK04GTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #4
fiveseven15
2000 WJ 

good tires have a helluva lot to do with it as well
fiveseven15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #5
fastfreddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwalker1 View Post
...would a Quadra Drive system stay mostly in 2wd?

Would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks in advance

Jeepwalker
IDK the torque split when you're just cruisin', but it is a full-time system.

I've had all four tires break loose in a straight line launching off a dead stop in the rain. Mind you, it was one of those intersections that gets a lot of traffic and the rain had just started.

Snow is the best. Pitch it sideways, modulate the go-fast pedal, it loves it!

...and, yeah, tires make all the difference.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 12:35 AM   #6
losttech

2000 WJ 

Never had quadra trac but my WJ felt like a snowmobile when I drove it in the snow this winter really stuck to the road.
Its a selectrac but I have nothing else to judge it by just that it worked good for me.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 03:37 AM   #7
SuperDragpack

QD would be your best bet:

1/ Automatically controls rear to front power distribution (it's almost instant - so no worries there)

2/ Both front and rear diffs are locking - so you will have all 4 wheels doing equal pulling in the snow.

I have always had QD V8's (as the V8 only comes with QD in the UK) and to be honest, it took all fun out of driving in the snow. It just didn't slip. It drove like normal - where is the fun in that!!!!!
SuperDragpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 03:52 AM   #8
Acc0919mc
2000 WJ 

I like selec-trac because its more fun haha. I have never got my jeep stuck in even 2 wheel drive, and got my dads QD stuck in the mud i had just backed through in 2 wheel drive lol. I do wish i had the limited slip diffs though, that would be awesome. My mom has QDII and it has never let her down. Btw my dad has big beefy tire tread and i have Goodyear wrangler radials haha. But in your situation where your not going to need all 4 wheels turning all the time, i would go with QD and a nice set of tires
Acc0919mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 04:22 AM   #9
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

15" of show driving at a sane speed feels no different that a wet parkinglot. Its a snowmobile with rubber tires.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 04:36 AM   #10
gbaronetXCR
2004 WJ 

QD is the bees knees. I originally got mine to pull my sleds. No drama, no wiggling, it's a cat on carpet.
gbaronetXCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 07:35 AM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaronetXCR
QD is the bees knees. I originally got mine to pull my sleds. No drama, no wiggling, it's a cat on carpet.
Now that I've got the WJ I prefer it in snow for work over my Cummins.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 07:39 AM   #12
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You'll be fine. I went out in our snowstorms last winter and had a blast. The DC beltway was completely covered in a few inches of snow and I was perfectly comfortable doing 50mph. Also did some parking lot drifting, which was surprisingly fun even with the full time 4wd.
Unread Today, 07:50 AM   #13
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

The thing with the 247 transfer case (used in QD and QTII) is that when it works, its a pretty good system. No input needed from the user to put it in 4wd which made it perfect for those soccer moms who don't understand 4x4s. The problem with though, is that response times get slow and often times they go completely unresponsive as they age and with lack of maintenance.

I have gone through 3. My first one was completely dead when I bought the jeep. I picked up a replacement from a junkyard with only like 40k miles on it, and it was very slow to respond. I was sideways well before the front tires got any power. So, I swapped to a 242 (selec-trac) transfer case. When I bought my Overland, it was also very slow to respond, faster than the other one, but still not fast enough. It only lasted 2 months before it completely died. So, I swapped that one to a 242.

Conclusion, if yours works as advertised, you should have no issues in snow. And its really just personal preference as to which system works "best" for you. Not considering the failed cases, I personally would still prefer the 242.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.