How do M/T tires perform in sand? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How do M/T tires perform in sand?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
corpulent
2004 WJ 

How do M/T tires perform in sand?

It seems most of the tire recommendations here are specific to mud traction. I'm in the high desert, and lucky to find a puddle.

All my off roading is in sand (sometimes incredibly fine, deep, and slick), and occasional hills with fist-sized and smaller rocks. Plus some brutally sharp sagebrush.

Whaddya think? A/T? M/T? Kevlar-impregnated spider-silk tungsten-knobbed paddles? Kidding, of course, but any recommendations for a good sand/street tire?

Thanks

corpulent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
braddf
2001 WJ 

M/T is the opposite of what you want. They are designed to dig into the ground which isn't what you want in sand. You want to glide over it with street tires or a mild a/t.
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
corpulent
2004 WJ 

Makes sense. But the A/Ts I've had before just kinda "sink & spin" in the sand.

With a bit of speed, sure, I can glide over it. But from a stop, or climbing a hill, I need a bit more "bite," as it were.

Just a more aggressive all-terrain, then, and nothing with the Mud designation?
corpulent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
braddf
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpulent View Post
Makes sense. But the A/Ts I've had before just kinda "sink & spin" in the sand.

With a bit of speed, sure, I can glide over it. But from a stop, or climbing a hill, I need a bit more "bite," as it were.

Just a more aggressive all-terrain, then, and nothing with the Mud designation?
I would try to stay as mild as possible. If you must have an all terrain I have heard that BFG all terrains preform pretty well in the sand. My dad has Nexen all terrains and he drove out to the outerbanks for a week with 300 pounds of gear in the back of his tacoma and said he never had the slightest problem.
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

I have BFG KMs and they perform well in sand. I had treadwright guard dogs before the KMs, which are basically the Goodyear MTR tread pattern, and those performed well in sand. Some of the guys I wheel with have Duratracks and those perform well. Other guys run BFG ATs and those perform well. With sand, it has a lot more to do with your driving style than it does your tires. I used to go on the dunes with my stock Wrangler SRAs and got around just fine. Ive seen people there jumping dunes in an Eagle Talon (that was really funny to watch). I will say that the MTs dig deeper, faster and will get you down to the frame a lot faster than an AT or street tires, but the point is to not start digging in the first place. Easy on the throttle from a stop, and youll be just fine.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Air down... Foot print is a big part of being successful in the sand.

-GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-IT'S A GREEN THING...
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post

Yes, this will help more than anything.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

Unread 10-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
C101Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post

This is the right answer... Couple that with momentum and don't stop unless pointed downhill and you'll have a great time!!
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Best tires to use on sand are usually worn street tires. You don't want to use M/T since they're designed to dig and will sink you fast with too much throttle. I'm leaving for obx tomorrow and where my house is requires the use of my Jeep. I'm running kumho A/T and airing them down to 13-15 psi. Last time I went I had michilen mtx4 tires and they did pretty good so I'm curious to see how the kumhos perform. Also carry an air compressor and foldable shovels.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

AT's and air down!!
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

I live in very similar sand...Sugar sand we call it. My experience basically what everyone else has said. Mudders in sand are a no-go, period. I've used the BFG ATs and they work pretty good in the sand, but they'll still dig in. However, I had those BFGs in my work truck and I can tell you I never got stuck in the sand BECAUSE of the tires. Usually it was because I was too lazy to walk somewhere and decided to go for broke and go somewhere I shouldn't have gone.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNowski View Post
I live in very similar sand...Sugar sand we call it. My experience basically what everyone else has said. Mudders in sand are a no-go, period. I've used the BFG ATs and they work pretty good in the sand, but they'll still dig in. However, I had those BFGs in my work truck and I can tell you I never got stuck in the sand BECAUSE of the tires. Usually it was because I was too lazy to walk somewhere and decided to go for broke and go somewhere I shouldn't have gone.
Mts are not a "no go" by any means. I love mine in sand. Sure, if you mash the gas in 2wd, they will dig, but if you don't drive like an idiot, they are awesome on sand.

Build Thread

Unread 10-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

My BFG M/T Km's do very good in the sandy washes here, even very well in my old 2wd cherokee. whether the most expensive tire specifically made for sand or a run of the mill AT or MT, it wont do anything for you if you arent driving right in sand.

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Been to the outer banks tons of times with MT's and when aired down to 15-18 psi, I haven't had a single problem. Originally had Kumho KL78's and then Goodyear MTR-K's. Even pulling out stuck vehicles in very soft sand, they spin and dig but eventually grip and go.
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

MTs are fine. Learn to drive.

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.