How do i shift select-a-trac the proper way? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How do i shift select-a-trac the proper way?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
KrazyTaxiCabbie

How do i shift select-a-trac the proper way?

I bought a used 99 Laredo and i dont have the owners manual. I don't want to screw it up. Does it have to be running or turned off. Can it be moving when i shift? I just don't know the proper way shifting from 4 to 2 wheel dr. and vice versa.

KrazyTaxiCabbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

01 grand cherokee selec trac here. mine gets sticky and doesnt like to shift in or out but u do it when its running thats totally fine. iv done it on the drive as well i just let off the gas otherwise it might slam into gear. iv even done it on the highway when it got a little slick i just again let off the gas for a sec till it popped in.
hope this helps
rkperry1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Newb1995jeepgc
1994 ZJ 

aslong as your not going over 55 you can shift into 4 fulltime and part time.. but for N and 4lo you got to put the tranny in Neutral and shift it under 3MPH. Hope that helps.
Newb1995jeepgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
KrazyTaxiCabbie

So it should work automatically driving 30 mph shifting from 4 to 2 with no problems? When you say it "sticks" do you mean it won't turn well and the whole vehicle kinda jumps. Because that is what happens when i shift from 4 to 2. Seems like its doesn't want to shift correctly so i'll put it back into 4. It just acts like it doesn't want to go back to 2wd.
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Newb1995jeepgc
1994 ZJ 

yes no problem.. and it sometimes will stick going from 4 to 2. It just takes alittle jerk on the shifter and it will go back.. its normal.
Newb1995jeepgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

If your front and rear tires are worn differently, it is very likely that the transfer case is binding and won't shift from 4HI PT to 2WD. Changing the transfer case fluid may help. The good news is that you can safely run in 4 Full Time indefinitely without trouble.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
KrazyTaxiCabbie

Thanks for the info all! I'll go find an empty parking and test it all out.
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyTaxiCabbie View Post
So it should work automatically driving 30 mph shifting from 4 to 2 with no problems? When you say it "sticks" do you mean it won't turn well and the whole vehicle kinda jumps. Because that is what happens when i shift from 4 to 2. Seems like its doesn't want to shift correctly so i'll put it back into 4. It just acts like it doesn't want to go back to 2wd.
yeah the first time i noticed it sticking was when i got stuck in snow and shifted it and didnt let it the gas and it banged into gear hard. learned my lession. but i still have to shift the shifter back in forth to get it back in 2wd sometimes.
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
NeverL8
2000 WJ 

OMG that what happent to my jeep, it stuck at 4wd, what the trick u guy did to make it go back to 2wd ?
NeverL8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
WJ04
2004 WJ 

Also No one mentioned you have to be driving straight when shifting in or out of 4wd. NEVER do it while turning because it wont engage right and cause grinding and binding. selectrac is a shift on the fly TC which means you can shift in or out of 4wd while driving under 55mph. once you shift it.. let of the gas for 2 seconds then tap the gas again let of again and you should be good to go. 4LO however you have to put the transmission in neutral while rolling no more than 3-5mph then in one sweep push down on the 4wd shifter and firmly pull it back into 4lo then put the transmission in drive and your in 4lo. same process shifting out.
2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Still to come: Flowmaster 50suv

October 2011 GCOTM Winner

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
I burnout on puppies and kittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Lets not and say we didn't.
WJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Sometimes "popping" the gas pedal a couple times will help it drop back into 2wd or with my old one sometimes I'd simply stop and back up 20 feet or so and you could feel it drop. Never had any troubles getting them in, but they can be a little ornery to get back out.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
tjlmbklr
2002 WJ 

I wanted to add to this thread since I too have concerns on proper shifting with my new (to me) Selec-trac. I here that Part Time 4HI is not supposed to used for regular driving with slippery conditions because of the ration split between front/rear, is this true? The reason I ask is, why would they have that first in line, why not have the Full to first then part time under that?

Just curious.

Great post, thanks for asking.
tjlmbklr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I think it has to do with how the shift collars move within the transfer case.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
tjlmbklr
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I think it has to do with how the shift collars move within the transfer case.
Sure...take Jeeps side!
tjlmbklr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #15
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverL8 View Post
OMG that what happent to my jeep, it stuck at 4wd, what the trick u guy did to make it go back to 2wd ?
when mine gets stuck i run the shifter back and forth fron 4wd to 2wd and sometimes whift to park or N that seems to help but yah keep ramming back to 2wd haha. i usually cant tell if its in 4wd till it gripps the pament durring turns or the roar of the front end during driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.