How do I identify if a 4.7 is HO or not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How do I identify if a 4.7 is HO or not?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Gru
2003 WJ 

How do I identify if a 4.7 is HO or not?

I am likely going to have an extended warranty replace the engine in my 03 Overland. Just to make sure everything is as it should be, I am wondering how I would tell a 4.7 HO from a non HO.

Also, if this is coming from a wrecked Jeep, is there a certain vintage 4.7 HO I should avoid? For example; anything pre 2001? Considering they are probably going to go by mileage, is there a later year that might be better than a 2003? I would assume not because 2005 was the Hemi, right?

I suppose I am looking for something like a block stamp.

Gru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
narnwv

2000 WJ 

If they don't use an HO engine, they'll have to swap wiring harnesses and PCMs, as the standard 4.7 doesn't have the 2 knock sensors.

To triple check, there will be "H.O." in the casting of the heads.

H.O. 4.7 didn't appear until 2002, and wasn't put in anything beyond the 2004 WJ to my knowledge. There were updates to the 4.7 for the WK (2005+), but no H.O. engine.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Gru
2003 WJ 

Perfect!
Just what I was looking for.
Thank you narnwv.
Gru is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.