How do I change the Crankshaft Position Sensor 2000 Laredo 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How do I change the Crankshaft Position Sensor 2000 Laredo 4.0

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
JeepCreep5150

How do I change the Crankshaft Position Sensor 2000 Laredo 4.0

Could someone please tell me, step by step, how to change the Crankshaft Position Sensor on a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0? My wife went to start it and it wouldn't fire. I put a new coil on it but that didn't solve my prob. Please be clear as I am only a basic mechanic when I have to be. in advance.

JeepCreep5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Find someone with small, girly hands and have them do it.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
cmonson

the cam postion sensor is above by the oil filter and takes mins to change.

Just note and mark the exact position of the rotor, remove the wire clip, remove the bolt, pull out cam position sensor.

Install in reverse making sure the position is the same.

The guy in the post above is maybe thinking of the CRANK position sensor.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Yes, yes, I am, sorry.

I have a spare cam position sensor if you want it, I pulled mine, and it wasn't the problem.

As for the crank, we replaced the entire drivetrain, and it wouldn't fire. Pulled the code and it turned out to be the CPS. Got someone with small, girly hands to do it.

2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
Unread 09-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Wait, he asked for a CRANK, not CAM.

Unread 09-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
cmonson

I AM SORRY!!! I posted on the CAM position sensor. MY POST was incorrect.

replace the CRANK position sensor as above said. Small hands deffinately help and install the part from under the Jeep.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
JeepCreep5150

Do I have to remove the starter to replace the sensor?
Unread 09-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

No, but dropping the crossmember and lowering the transmission and tcase 2-3 inches helps immensely.

Basically, you have to get to a part that's located right behind the engine, right in front of the transmission, and sandwiched next to the floorpan.

Unread 09-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
JeepCreep5150

I dropped the bolt for the sensor and now I can't find it. I ran a magnet everywhere, I felt around anywhere I could fit my hand, could not find it. My arms look like I ran windmilling through a briar patch. I think 10 gallons of gas & a lighter will fix this jips problem. There ain't no sense in a vehicle being designed like that. There is no common sense in design these days. Maybe they don't want ppl to be able to work on them so they will HAVE to take it to some *&%^& that's going to charge what? $85 an hour or more?? It's total B.S.. If I ever meet the S.O.B. that designed the 2000 jeepjunk laredo I WILL put my foot in his ***! Oh, and thanks for your'alls help. I appreciate it.
Unread 09-18-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

You know what's funny? Labor rate for this job is 30-45 minutes. *I THINK*.

So you would spend about $40 to get this replaced.

Unread 09-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
JeepCreep5150

Actually, I think that they charge a big fee just to look at it then charge an hourly rate. And don't forget the tow bill-13 miles one way. I will never buy a new vehicle again. I'll get something from the 80's or 90's & put money into it. Atleast that way if it breaks down I'll be able to fix it instead of being ripped off by this new 'system'. If ppl don't voice their opinions to car makers it will only get worse. I'm very frustrated right now. Bought some new bolts and heading out to *try* and get the bolt in it. Wish me luck
Unread 09-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
WXman
2001 WJ 

sounds like in your case it would be worth dropping the crossmember and letting the tranny sag down a few inches. Then you can find that other bolt and put the sensor back in properly.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCreep5150 View Post
I dropped the bolt for the sensor and now I can't find it. I ran a magnet everywhere, I felt around anywhere I could fit my hand, could not find it. My arms look like I ran windmilling through a briar patch. I think 10 gallons of gas & a lighter will fix this jips problem. There ain't no sense in a vehicle being designed like that. There is no common sense in design these days. Maybe they don't want ppl to be able to work on them so they will HAVE to take it to some *&%^& that's going to charge what? $85 an hour or more?? It's total B.S.. If I ever meet the S.O.B. that designed the 2000 jeepjunk laredo I WILL put my foot in his ***! Oh, and thanks for your'alls help. I appreciate it.
I know this is a very old thread, but I agree with this guy 1,000 % ... I have been trying to get to the Crankshaft Sensor bolt on my 2000 WJ with the
4.0L for 3 hours and I am not closer than I was 3 hours ago. Tomorrow, I'm dropping the crossmember and lowering the transmission a few inches.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Again, I know this is a very old thread, but just in case someone reads this thread in the future,, here are a few tricks that I have learned during the process of changing my Crankshaft Sensor in my 2000 WJ.

By all means..... unbolt the cross member and lower the transmission.... this will provide the much needed space to reach the Crankshaft Sensor bolt with a long extention. I found that my bold was 11mm not 12mm as I had read. Also, once you have the bolt out and the sensor removed from the bellhousing, drop a single solid wire (about 3 foot) from engine compartment then tie it to the sensor..... raise the transmission to give you room between the rear of the engine and the firewall,,, then using your tied wire, fish the CS across the rear of the engine to the passenger side. The connector is at the base of the oil dip stick, like everything on a WJ, it's not a great loaction, but you will be able to deal with it. Fishing the CS across the rear of the engine doesn't sound like much, but it is not a "Fun" task. In a little while, I'll go out and start to put this Jeep back together, but I'm not looking forward to doing so.

**EDIT**

I got my Jeep mostly back together, just a few odds & ends to button up. I have already had engine running which is a good sign. Getting the new sensor into the hole in bellhousing was not as easy as you would think, but that wire sure helped the process big time. The other thing that I did and it worked great was when I went to put the Crankshaft sensor bolt in, I put a little duct tape over the head of the bolt, then forced it into a socket, using the long extention, bolt went in like greased lightning.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
Rick02809
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

Before you drop the tranny, STOP AND READ THIS!!!!!!

I've been looking on blogs about this problem, and I have come up with what seems like an easy method.

You will need about 15 minutes to save you hours of work. Get 2 wire clothes hangers, straighten them out, cut the "hook" off but save as much of the hanger as possible.
You will need to fashion a small hook to support the wire, and a "box" type of hook to support the pigtail plug. On the passenger side of the engine, behind the oil filter you will see a plug for the sensor, unplug it and pull the plug off of the "barb" which holds it close to the engine block. Take the 1st hook with the "box" end and fish it over the tranny to the driver side, secure the free end to the finger hold in the oil dip stick.

The second wire, fashion a second hook, make a small "J" hook
Wrap electrical tape along the plug of the new sensor to keep the plug free of dirt & oil.
Using the second wire hanger lift the new sensor up in place to the awaiting wire hanger and secure the wire & plug into the "box" hook.

Remove the existing sensor... You will need an 11MM socket, a 3" extension, a Universal joint, and an extension or collections measuring about 12".
Once the bolt is out use the wire hanger to lift the old sensor out of the bell housing and pull it out of the compartment.
Next use the wire hanger to lift the awaiting sensor in place.Tape the bolt to the socket (to keep it from falling out) and replace the 11 MM bolt.

Go back to the engine compartment and GENTLY pull the new sensor wire lead into place, press it into the barb and reconnect the leads.

I have NOT done this yet as I am at work, but I have the wire lead and new sensor hanging in place, tonight I'm removing the existing sensor and should have the new one in place...I'll keep you informed.

Manipulating the sensor with the wire should be easier than dropping the transmission crossmember

"Work smarter, not harder"
Rick02809 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.