How To/DIY Radiator Removal/Installation on 2000 WJ Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How To/DIY Radiator Removal/Installation on 2000 WJ Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Make sure you know where it's (coolant) coming from first.

Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
guttafixit
2000 WJ 

I did the same. Thank you for the tip.
And thank you everyone for the other tips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStew11 View Post
Just finished putting in my new Rad and a couple points from my go at

-I had to disconnect the bottom tranny line from the Rad and the top one from underneath and left it still connected to the Rad

-I was able to leave the A/C Condenser right where it is, just took a little fandangling to get the old Rad out and the new one in

Here's a couple pics to show it
guttafixit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

I did mine about 3 weeks ago and it was pretty painless but time consuming.

WARNING!! Do not attempt to disconnect the external trans cooler lines from the external cooler, no matter how tempting it may seem...I attempted to completely remove any/all components that were directly attached to the radiator and the bottom corner of the cooler broke off before the nut securing the line to the cooler broke loose. Long story short you are going to spend at least $30 in parts for a reasonable replacement and there will be some custom fabrication involved, plus it added an extra 2 hours to my job.
99_wj_QD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
guttafixit
2000 WJ 

Did mine yesterday. I had a small crack on the side of the radiator. Where the composite is of course. A lot easier when you take the grill and front bumper cover off like the other posts recommends. Great tips!! Did mine like SuperStew11 did his.
Not sure if someone else said this but make sure you buy a thermostat before you start. I wasted an hour going to the dealers and buying one. I thought it would not be any easier to replace it when it's all apart. Better then going on you in the middle of winter. $20.00 pre-maintenance is well worth.
When I was doing this I saw my power steering box is leaking really bad. LOL Another project after the holidays.

Thank you everyone for their posts.
Dan
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

It might just be the high pressure PS hose. Common fail point..
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #21
guttafixit
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
It might just be the high pressure PS hose. Common fail point..
Replaced both hoses this summer. I can see it all over the side of the box. Already replaced power steering pump also. I was hoping it was just the hose. lol
Unread 11-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

Mine just blew a hole in itself on the way back from lunch, thankfully I work at a auto shop and we had nothing scheduled in our bay without a lift so I am getting to do mine at work...
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #23
Limited_Knowled
1999 WJ 

I've just removed my rad from my 4.7 today over here in the UK. I didn't have a power steering cooler, my pipes ran in front of the rad and across and into the steering box (RHD instead of LHD). I managed to disconnect the cooler lines from the back of the radiator - gave up trying to split the hoses away from the pipes as a first attempt as they were stuck fast.

My rad was leaking from the bottom right corner, on closer inspection its an original radiator that has done 135k miles and the middle at the base has sagged down to the crossmember, That caused the bottom 7 or 8 rows to twist and sag and has ultimately caused a leak somewhere. When I put the new one back in I'm going to find something to support the middle spot at the bottom to prevent sag again.

Question from the floor, looking on Ebay for replacement radiators, some come with the male cooler connections, others look as though they don't. Can I remove the male connectors that are still on my existing rad if one I order arrives without them? Do they just screw into the rad?
Limited_Knowled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #24
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

I believe they do unscrew but the new one should come with the connectors. I'd say try unscrewing the ones off the Rad you just removed to see
SuperStew11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
HemiTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for everyone's comments. This is my next task.
HemiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #26
jeepl
2000 WJ 

This will be my first real DIY repair. How would rate the level of difficulty? I don't want to get in over my head then have the vehicle towed (with accompany box of parts) to a repair shop.
jeepl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #27
guttafixit
2000 WJ 

I thought it was easy just take your time. Pics on here helps also. Look at them. If you can turn a wrench you can do this. If you get stuck take a pic and post it in here someone will help you. Good Luck....
Unread 07-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #28
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

I agree, look at the pics here, take your time, give yourself a lot of time to do it. It is fairly easy to do just time consuming
SuperStew11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #29
JGC99
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttafixit View Post
I thought it was easy just take your time. Pics on here helps also. Look at them. If you can turn a wrench you can do this. If you get stuck take a pic and post it in here someone will help you. Good Luck....
In agreeance with this as well. In fact, I think with most repairs, if you budget the time and are very punctual on labeling or taking pictures of things, most anything is doable if you can turn a wrench.

Beats pay the shop to do it, and you'll have a big smirk when you're done knowing you did something most won't

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.