How to delete fault codes on 04 Grand Cherokee??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to delete fault codes on 04 Grand Cherokee???

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Wj How to delete fault codes on 04 Grand Cherokee???

Does anyone know how, or is it even possible to, delete fault codes on a 04 Grand Cherokee (CRD if that makes any difference - I dont think it does), without buying a reader (ive got one but it does not want to talk to my jeep!
Ive recently had probs (see recent posts) but now the probs are solved I want to delete the fault codes as well. I know they will go after 40 cold start cycles (as long as faults dont reappear) but thats about a month for me!
Any ideas?................... and before anyone says "Disconnect the battery!" that does not work on 04 models. Have tried it on mine and two others from between 30 seconds to 24 hours and codes remain!!

Looking forward to your replies.

Unread 12-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
BandGauto
2004 WJ 

Go to Auto Zone they will do it for free.
BandGauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
BigBeefy
2004 WJ 

I have an 04 and it worked for me. (disconnecting battery)
Unread 12-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
BandGauto
2004 WJ 

OOPS sorry I just noticed you were in Great Britain.
BandGauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
BigBeefy
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandGauto View Post
OOPS sorry I just noticed you were in Great Britain.
Must be an export model thing that is keeping the light on.
Disconnect batt and the computer.
Best I can do other than suggesting to take it to a dealer and have it done from them.
Unread 12-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Disconnecting the battery will work as long as the problems are actually fixed. Otherwise, I am sure there are autoparts stores in Great Britain who can do it for you, but again, if the battery disconnect doesn't work, clearing them with a code reader isn't going to work either....

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

CRD!!
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Disconnecting the battery will work as long as the problems are actually fixed. Otherwise, I am sure there are autoparts stores in Great Britain who can do it for you, but again, if the battery disconnect doesn't work, clearing them with a code reader isn't going to work either....
If you dont know dont guess . It helps no one. Many cars I have had in the past could only be reset with a code reader rather than battery disconnect whether the probs were fixed or not. The idea is to stop regular Joes doing it and make them go to there dealers I would think. Just thought someone on here might know a trick.
Unread 12-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
MadderThanMax

^ I have to agree with there on that one mate, the disconnect thing doesn't work! It may do for the American but not over here in Blighty, tried it numerous times without result even left it over night and guess what.. it doesn't work!

With regards the Autoparts Stores no there ain't.. most of our "shops" buy the aftermarket readers like the Sun Diagnostics or Snapon Diagnostics very few will invest in Chrysler/Jeep equipment probably because its not a premium selling vehicle over here unlike BMW/Mercedes/VW/Audi/Ford.

Sorry for dispelling the rumour.... :-(
MadderThanMax is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

I wasn't guessing. I have never heard of the battery disconnect not working for jeeps. Whether it be American or otherwise. If the problem is actually fixed, it will work. If it doesn't work, the underlying problem is not fixed. There have been several hundred upon several hundred threads on this forum in my 3+ years of membership discussing this very issue. Do a search, Im sure you will find some.

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Disconnect battery, tap the brake pedal with the key rolled forward and it should 'kill' the remaining power.
Unread 12-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSooNmonkey View Post
Disconnect battery, tap the brake pedal with the key rolled forward and it should 'kill' the remaining power.
No, does not work on 2004 UK spec Jeeps. Even tried leaving the headlight switch in the on position to make sure there was a high current drain..

And the reason is...............well I spoke to Jeep today (this is Jeep UK dont forget my American friends!!) and they told me the fault code memory does not rely on power (12volt) for its fault code memory so disconnecting the battery will not erase the codes no matter how long you disconnect the battery. You would physically have to de solder the memory chip from the curcuit board and short it to forget the codes. So there you have it...you either use a reader or wait for 40 code starts to erase the codes automatically.

Also dont forget that this is a Mercedes engine/transmission and ive yet to come across a german car that can have its fault codes deleted by battery disconnection although there will be a few older ones. I worked for a German car dealership for 14 years so I saw a few!!
Unread 12-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
BigBeefy
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post

Also dont forget that this is a Mercedes engine/transmission and ive yet to come across a german car that can have its fault codes deleted by battery disconnection
Leave it to the Germans to turn something easy into a difficult task.
Unread 12-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #14
eogg
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia

Also dont forget that this is a Mercedes engine/transmission
False. The WJ was designed before the merger. Production started 10 weeks after the merger. It is possible that some of the electronics were updated by Daimler.

Edit: The merger was announced in May and was official in November. The WJ had already been on sale for two months by then.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1010
eogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #15
FrankU
2004 WJ 

Love those CRD's ! We have a fleet of the 3.6 CRD's in the Sprinter van's. Most are turning 300k miles with minor repairs and excellent fuel mileage. And they move out too.
FrankU is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.