How to change power steering fluid??? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to change power steering fluid???

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #31
Svensson
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son-of-Beast View Post
Be sure and only use the approved fluid, no generic fluids - I had a mechanic darn near ruin my hydraulic system by using regualr brake/PS fluid - the 4.7 has a 3-spd hydraulic fan that needs a lot of pressure - mixed fluids are bad, the fan won't run, and the engine will overheat.
I see, but when reading this post I see that I clearly have a the same problems as explained here.

My fan is working, but only on idle, full speed is never achieved. A week ago I finally refilled my A/C and checked today that the fan spins a bit faster when turning on the A/C on LO. So im gonna change chage PS fluid and replace the 9 year old belt tensioner. Hopefully this will end the overheating issue and give me better steering assistanse.

Do you have the hydraulic fan system?

2" OME lift, rear addco swaybar, 17" Ion Alloy 171 w/33/12,5x17 Baja MTZ's, 2 din bezel, 30" led lightbar, JKS adjustable trackbar, Rancho SS, Bullbar, Projector Headlights, front Carolina Drivline. Bilstein shocks for 4" lift, 2"BB, IRO front UCA.

Build Thread's:
Norwegian site: Click HERE
Jeepforum Picture/Buildthread: Click HERE
Svensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #32
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

I have owned my WJ since new and once a year siphon and refill the PS Reservoir.

Have used the Valvoline PS Fluid which meets the chrysler spec, it is clear color.
Amsoil developed a 100% syn PS fluid which meets the chrysler spec so I have used that last few years.

The important thing is to freshen itup.

If you have never done it, get the turkey baster and siphon out the fluid and keep it in a clear jar for a few days. Take a close look at it, you will see why it is a good move to keep it fresh.

PS and brake fluid are the most neglected along with coolant changes then the drive line.
Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #33
Svensson
2004 WJ 

I fully understand, and I don't disagree, but I don't belive the guy that owned the jeep prior to me used ps fluid that meet the chrysler specs. So now that I know how important this really is im gonna change the fluids to clear color so I can see when it's fully flushed
2" OME lift, rear addco swaybar, 17" Ion Alloy 171 w/33/12,5x17 Baja MTZ's, 2 din bezel, 30" led lightbar, JKS adjustable trackbar, Rancho SS, Bullbar, Projector Headlights, front Carolina Drivline. Bilstein shocks for 4" lift, 2"BB, IRO front UCA.

Build Thread's:
Norwegian site: Click HERE
Jeepforum Picture/Buildthread: Click HERE
Svensson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.