How to change power steering fluid??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to change power steering fluid???

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

How to change power steering fluid???

Hi guys,

I am going to change power steering fluid, i know i have to:
Get both My front wheels off ground.
Suck out fluid off power steering resorvoar, refill with new fresh fluid.
Disconnect Return hose.
Turn wheels with steering wheel from left to right and so on.
Make sure resorvoar is not going Low on fluid, add all the time.
Keep on like this until only fresh fluid comes out of Return hose.

Right?

Also i need to know Where is the place to disconnect the Return hose? which hose is it?

All help apriciated, Thanks, Thomas.

R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

I pull the return hose at the tank, install a cap on the tank and then put the return hose in a bottle. Start it up, flush, put more fluid in, flush, etc.

99 - 04 Grand Cherokee Mopar Trackbar
NP 242HD Transfer Case

WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCkeDuDe
I pull the return hose at the tank, install a cap on the tank and then put the return hose in a bottle. Start it up, flush, put more fluid in, flush, etc.
Thanks man. But which one is the Return hose? The one That connect at the bottom of tank?

Do i have to lift the front tires off ground or can do it on ground?
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

subscribed!
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Sorry i am not familiar to terms like subscribed and opcorn. I am VERY stupid on These things, PLS explain.

Unread 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

So mine are both 2002s so they have the *&#^*^%*@^%@ hydraulic fan and 2 returns. The return for you should still be the one on the back and bottom of the PS tank, right above the drive exhaust manifold. Unattach this and stick it in a bottle, but you must cap the tank or your new fluid will run right out. I dont lift the tire off the ground for flushing. Since it pushes the fluid straight out the wheels wont turn anyways. But if you do lift it off the ground and turn the wheels it could flush the gear a bit more, and will help with bleeding the system later. Your choice.

NP 242HD Transfer Case

Unread 06-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCkeDuDe
So mine are both 2002s so they have the *&#^*^%*@^%@ hydraulic fan and 2 returns. The return for you should still be the one on the back and bottom of the PS tank, right above the drive exhaust manifold. Unattach this and stick it in a bottle, but you must cap the tank or your new fluid will run right out. I dont lift the tire off the ground for flushing. Since it pushes the fluid straight out the wheels wont turn anyways. But if you do lift it off the ground and turn the wheels it could flush the gear a bit more, and will help with bleeding the system later. Your choice.
THANKS MAN! Apriciated, i Will do it tommorow. 

Unread 06-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Be sure and only use the approved fluid, no generic fluids - I had a mechanic darn near ruin my hydraulic system by using regualr brake/PS fluid - the 4.7 has a 3-spd hydraulic fan that needs a lot of pressure - mixed fluids are bad, the fan won't run, and the engine will overheat.

I went out and got a quart of the stuff from the Stealership, think it was like $16-18 if I remember - cheap insurance.

It is a result of the relationship with Daimler, great German engineering but very specific tolerances and specifications - same thing for the Quadradrive axles and the need for a friction modifier. Dont cheap out on the fluids.
'Son-of-Beast' - '02 WJ Limited, 4.7, 545RFE 5-spd Auto, Quadra-Drive, KOR 2.5" BB, Rancho RS5000's, Firestone Destination AT 265/70R17's, Flowmaster DeltaFlow 40, KMA/TAG armor, JK Fuel Door, Spyder CCFL Halo Projectors, LED Taillights, LED Interior Lights - Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...imited-956744/
Son-of-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

What??? Cant i just use water???

Jkd, bought the mopar steering fluid for 10$ of ebay.

Also bought this.
image-3241213109.jpg   image-2878491065.jpg  

Unread 06-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

He doesnt have the hydraulic fan. Plain power steering fluid is fine.

NP 242HD Transfer Case

Unread 06-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCkeDuDe View Post
He doesnt have the hydraulic fan. Plain power steering fluid is fine.
You are correct, it was introduced in '01 - I still say don't cheap out on fluids but if he doesn't have the hydro fan the fluid issue may be less important.
'Son-of-Beast' - '02 WJ Limited, 4.7, 545RFE 5-spd Auto, Quadra-Drive, KOR 2.5" BB, Rancho RS5000's, Firestone Destination AT 265/70R17's, Flowmaster DeltaFlow 40, KMA/TAG armor, JK Fuel Door, Spyder CCFL Halo Projectors, LED Taillights, LED Interior Lights - Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...imited-956744/
Son-of-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #12
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Yeah I hear you.

NP 242HD Transfer Case

Unread 06-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

i used a vet/dry vacuum with a small hose on it cycled through 1 quart of new Mopar fluid. for 2 days sucked it all out refilled.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

[QUOTE=xJoshxx;11780581]i used a vet/dry vacuum with a small hose on it cycled through 1 quart of new Mopar fluid. for 2 days sucked it all out refilled.[/QUOTE/]

+1

I used a turkey baster to suck it out. Since I have the hyd setup and it's always circulating I just did it a few times then did it a few more times a few days later
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #15
pdpunome
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

x2 i have 5 turkey baisters in my box at all times go to the dollar store and grab a couple always nice to have for power steering, brake, and coolant fluids.
pdpunome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.