how to change headers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > how to change headers

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
rhalloran88

Hey guys im about to buy a flow master exhaust system from headers to tip

Now is there a site to show how to switch the headers out and reinstall

rhalloran88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
narnwv

2000 WJ 

um, take out all the bolts, put new header on, put the bolts back in.

Seriously though, that's exactly what it takes.

What brand of header are you putting in?

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
adhdlacrosse16
2014 JK Wrangler 

it kind of an involved process but not real difficult 5-6 hrs . unplug and label everything attatched to the manifold, you need a fuel line separator its the blue one from oreiley, belt removal, power steering pump removal. top 4 (5?) bolts on manifold, bottom 4 bolts on manifold(this is a *****), pull intake manifold. unbolt exhaust manifold from head pipe. install NEW head gasket install headers on the bolts sticking out. start thread on bottom 4 bolts and then install intake on the little bar pins and tighten bolts hand tight. torque to 23lbs for top and bottom. reinstall ps pump reinstall belt, plug everything back in. ground positive to nagative post to reset computer. start her up. high idle= intake not seated on pins. let me know if you need any clarification i just did this for the second time a few months ago. the bolts holding the bottom of your manifold are a huge ***** to get at unless you have spaghetti arms but it is definitely do able. i would suggest pb blaster for head pipe bolts and maybe a set of vice grips. also LABEL EVERYTHING! if it has a plug label it!
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
adhdlacrosse16
2014 JK Wrangler 

there is a decent video of it on you tube as well
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
mickey85
2004 WJ 

Pray. And if you don't swear now, you will when you start. Trust me on that. I have the scars to prove it.

The Albatross - 2004 WJ Laredo 4.7, clackety lash adjusters, 3 gallons of antifreeze on the floorboard, 109,000 mile daily driver.
mickey85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.