how to bleed and maybe flush brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > how to bleed and maybe flush brakes

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
mustang67ford

how to bleed and maybe flush brakes

I am doing the brake caliper swap to the front of a 99GC. I need some help on how to bleed the brakes once the new calipers are on. I don't know yet if I will just bleed the brakes or flush the whole system with new fluid. I purchased a 1-man brake bleeder kit because I will be by myself. It is a little bottle with a hose from advance auto.

Any how-to help would be great, thanks.

mustang67ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Drek
2004 WJ 

Check out this video:

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. -Mark Twain
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

The video is good, but I do my brakes a bit differently.

Some basics .....

Flush the entire system. Start with the RR, LR, RF, and Left Front. Always work first with the caliper farthest from the Master Cylinder, Fluid Reservoir. Don't cheap out with new brake fluid. One quart should do it, but have a second on hand, just in case.

I always use a 'turkey baster' to suck out all of the old fluid from the reservoir first. That way, you don't have to bleed it through the lines to get to the new fluid. Of course, with the old fluid out, top off the reservoir with new DOT 4. I use ATE fluid myself. It comes in both blue and yellow tints. I alternate colors each fluid flush. It is easy to see the new fluid come thru, as it is a completely different color from the old.

And whatever you do, do not let the reservoir run dry, or you will have to start the process all over agin.
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
mustang67ford

ok, so when I put the new front calipers on, do I manually try to put fluid in them before connecting the line and do I need to worry about air in the caliper getting up into the brake line someplace? I could pump the back a few times and it be fine, but unknowingly, an air bubble is in the middle of the line to the back someplace.

Do I change the front calipers before trying to change the fluid?

Doing the order noted above, how do I know when I have new fluid at the caliper, just by trying to judge the color? Since I'll be doing it by myself, about how many pumps of the pedal will it take to the rear?

Thant was a helpful video, but I should be able to bleed the rear without taking the tires off. My one tire is actually stuck on for some reason. Even loostened the lug nuts and lowered the vehicle but it still didn't pop loose.
Unread 03-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
slicklizzard
2004 WJ 

Yes, you'll know you have new fluid at the caliper by watching the color. Even in the dark with a flashlight, it was easy for me to see when mine changed from that nasty brown honey color to the new color.
slicklizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
kmcnulty79
2003 WJ 

You can use dot 4 in WJ? I thought dot 3 only or you will ruin your brake lines?
kmcnulty79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
mustang67ford

I liked the bottle idea in the video. I returned the one from advance auto and will make a similar one. Do I need to put new fluid in the bottle or use what I take out with the turkey baster?
Unread 03-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
Drek
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcnulty79 View Post
You can use dot 4 in WJ? I thought dot 3 only or you will ruin your brake lines?
I know the "Valvoline DOT 3 and 4" fluid is OK to use in the WJ's.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. -Mark Twain
Unread 03-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
kmcnulty79
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I know the "Valvoline DOT 3 and 4" fluid is OK to use in the WJ's.
Good to know
kmcnulty79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
grussell
2001 WJ 

Since you will have all new fluid in the front, go ahead and flush the rears too. No way to tell you how many pumps, just depends on how much air is in the system. You can use the old fluid in the bottle. The purpose of the bottle is to keep air from going back in the caliper since you don't have a helper to tighten the bleed screw before your let off of the brake pedal.

Another warning-if the brake fluid gets on anything painted it will remove the paint.
Unread 03-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcnulty79 View Post
DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are all technically fine.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #12
mustang67ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by grussell View Post
Since you will have all new fluid in the front, go ahead and flush the rears too. No way to tell you how many pumps, just depends on how much air is in the system. You can use the old fluid in the bottle. The purpose of the bottle is to keep air from going back in the caliper since you don't have a helper to tighten the bleed screw before your let off of the brake pedal.

Another warning-if the brake fluid gets on anything painted it will remove the paint.
So what is the order? Connect front calipers, bleed rear, then move to the front where there is no fluid in the calipers yet?

Or do I start with the front by bleeding them both til the old fluid comes out then remove fluid from the reservoir, add good fluid, then move from the rear to the front til I see good fluid?
Unread 03-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Keeping the resivour full I remove the brake hose and let it drip.

Then remove the caliper assembly.

When putting on the new caliper on I open the bleeder so the fluid has a place to go and then I install the brake hose on the caliper. By the time I get brake banjo bolt tight brake fluid is comming out the bleeder screw.

That way there isn't a way for air to enter the system and float around. What little air is in the system stays in the caliper till you pressure bleed it.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #14
mustang67ford

I'm thinking of flushing the system before changing calipers so no old fluid gets into the new calipers.
Unread 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #15
Drek
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang67ford View Post
I'm thinking of flushing the system before changing calipers so no old fluid gets into the new calipers.
No need to. Just replace your calipers and then flush the whole system.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.