How-To: Aux Mod for Cassette Radios w/o CD Changer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How-To: Aux Mod for Cassette Radios w/o CD Changer

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 12-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
jeep725
2000 WJ 

Wj How-To: Aux Mod for Cassette Radios w/o CD Changer

I originally posted this on NAGCA but no one seemed to take any interest in it. It really is a great mod though. It still works and sounds great.

In this how-to I will be explaining how to play music from your iPhone, iPod, or MP3 player through your radio without:
(a) buying a new radio
(b) Buying a PAC adapter
(c) Using an fm transmitter
or
(d) Needing a cd changer

Your going to need a philips head screwdriver, soldering iron, and a 3.5 mm audio wire.

My dad did this to our Yukon XL a while back and I thought I would try to do it to a Chrysler radio. In the Yukon, the cassette was a slave so it was separate from the radio and didn't involve any soldering. This was going to be different. My radio, from a 2001 WJ with the Infinity 6 speaker system, has the cassette in the head unit.

I started out by taking the radio out of the car (duh). After you take it out grab a towel and go sit at the table with a philips head screwdriver. On the back at the top there are two screws holding on the top cover, remove these. Using your fingers, pry the cover off the top of the radio. Its a bit difficult but you can do it. If you use a screwdriver, you risk bending the metal. After that, look around the front of the radio on the plastic. There should be four screws holding it on and they need to be removed. Pull off the volume knob and place it to the side. Then, pull on the face of the radio undoing the little clips on the top and bottom.

Once you get it off, you may notice there aren't any screws holding on the front board. It is held on by two little ground tabs that need to be unsoldered and twisted straight. After you do that pull up on the board CAREFULLY. Place it to the side. Next, were going to remove the cd player. My cd player had three screws on top and one on the front behind the board we just removed. After that, pull up on the cd player by its edges and place it aside. Under the player you will see a few rows of solder. You need to find the one in the back running parallel with the casing. Here is where the hard soldering comes in. Find the three pins labeled l-ch, r-ch and the last one under them. I cannot remember what it is labeled. It is the audio signal ground. Just look at the picture. Strip your 3.5 mm wire and seperate the shielding from the wire. DO NOT cut the shielding. It is the audio ground and your third wire. Strip the two smaller wires and twist all three. BEFORE YOU START SOLDERING PUT THE WIRE THROUGH THE RADIO CASE. Solder the red wire to R-ch, the white wire to L-ch and the bare wire to the third pin. Make sure your wiring and solder do not touch other wires and pins. That will cause a short. If you don't trust your solder to hold you can also throw a bit of hot glue on there.

If you want to, you can get an audio jack from radio shack and put it in the front of the unit. I didn't do it because there is already not enough room for whats there so I don't think it would be easy.

Now start putting it back together. Cd player first, then the front board. When your screwing the cd player in it will squish the wires so don't worry about the wire being too thick. Make sure the solder gets put back on that front board or else it wont have a ground anymore. Pop the front plastic back on and the top cover and screw them in.

To make this work you can play any cassette tape. when you plug anything in it just mutes the tape player. I suggest getting a tape adapter and ripping of the wire because those tapes always spin so you don't have to flip them or rewind them. If you do use a regular tape, when the tape reaches the end it reverses and the sound stops for like half of a second.

This mod is amazing. Where I tapped in, the equalizer, fade and balance all work and the quality is great. It sounds better than a cd.

Now it's your turn to choose what to do with the wire depending on what car this is going in. On my WJ I ran it to a little radio shack 3.5 mm audio jack that I put in the top of the ash tray. You could also run the cord down to the ash tray and just pull it out when you need it if you want. Whatever you want. If a 15 year old can do it so can you.

jeep725 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
fast540
1999 WJ 

That's awesome doin it tomorrow
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
jeep725
2000 WJ 

That is the kind of reply I was expecting. It's pretty much a free mod.
Unread 12-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
PowderHound
2003 WJ 

Nice! I would have done this if I didn't find a working 10 disc changer on craigslist for $20. I just soldired to the wires and drilled a hole in the bezel for the aux. Good job.
2003 WJ♦Inferno Red Limited(4.7 H.O., Vari-Lok axles)♦OME HD/BILLY 5100S♦IRO t-case skid, adj. tb, sway links♦Moog SS♦Factory tow package w/harness & tow hooks♦ Amp/12 sub box♦new bad b**ch passenger♦1993 XJ country♦lift/muds/winchbumper-sold♦build thread instead of long A$$ sig soon...
PowderHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
texinteg

I will have to do this really soon.
texinteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
grussell
2001 WJ 

Nice write up, on my list to do.
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
nhcd538
2001 WJ 

Awesome. Thank you!
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

Does that work on a radio without a cassette player? I have only the single CD player built in and that's it
chrism1367 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
jeep725
2000 WJ 

No, it uses the inputs from the cassette player to work. Your best option is to get a cd changer.
Unread 04-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
yank_my_chain
2000 WJ 

I have the system with the external 10 disk changer. According to the prior owner, the 10 disk changer no longer worked and he lost the cartridge. From the write-ups about tapping into the external changer line, you need it to be working for the volume control to work.

Can this mod be done on the system with the internal cassette player and external changer?
yank_my_chain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #11
jeep725
2000 WJ 

Yes, the only difference between yours and mine is that you have a changer plugged into the back of the radio.
Unread 04-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

So wait, I am assuming I can do this and still keep the functionality of my Cd changer? I like the CD changer, but I would also like aux in. Tape adapter sounds awful.
Thegdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #13
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Thanks, I was looking for this, the other day, in order to help someone who had a question, because their CD changer was busted.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #14
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

I ordered an PIE X3 system on ebay. Its an aux input converter, that is suggested by wjjeeps.com. Seems that the company has been purchased, so they don't make them anymore. Snatched one up before they are gone. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=351052458573
Thegdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #15
jeep725
2000 WJ 

You can do this mod and keep the cd changer or you can do the mod for the cd changer. I don't have a write up for the cd changer mod because I don't have a cd changer. This mod is more for people who don't have a cd changer or have a broken cd changer, however you can still do it if you have a functional cd changer and your cd changer will still work the same way because the cd changer and tape player are not connected.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.