How to adjust control arms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to adjust control arms?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

How to adjust control arms?

I have some IRO adjustables all front and rear that I've been waiting to install. I have OME HD springs (planning to install 3/4 spacers) and was wondering how do I get the lengths for my adjustables? How do I set caster and determine the correct adjustments for all my arms?

Unread 03-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
jUAN_doLLaZ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonimor7 View Post
I have some IRO adjustables all front and rear that I've been waiting to install. I have OME HD springs (planning to install 3/4 spacers) and was wondering how do I get the lengths for my adjustables? How do I set caster and determine the correct adjustments for all my arms?
from what i understand you want to initially match them up to your stock LCA's and then lengthen them accordingly. usually a shop does this part with a device to check the caster.

with the front lowers, you extend them and it will give u positive CASTER, help driveline vibrations, center the wheel in the wheel well (as seen from side), and corrects the pinion angle.

i imagine it'd be a pita with a lot of guess work and adjustment/test drive to get it ironed so it may be worth while bringing it to an alignment shop.

Last edited by jUAN_doLLaZ; 03-11-2014 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: misspelled caster camber
jUAN_doLLaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

I have the IRO adj. Arms for the front. I believe I set mine at 18.5" with my 4" lift
Mp5ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jUAN_doLLaZ View Post

from what i understand you want to initially match them up to your stock LCA's and then lengthen them accordingly. usually a shop does this part with a device to check the caster.

with the front lowers, you extend them and it will give u positive camber, help driveline vibrations, center the wheel in the wheel well (as seen from side), and corrects the pinion angle.

i imagine it'd be a pita with a lot of guess work and adjustment/test drive to get it ironed so it may be worth while bringing it to an alignment shop.
As I know that the caster is adjustable by adjusting the control arms, while camber is adjustable by adjustable ball joints (at least as per my experience).

OP: If you have the OME lift so I believe you're sitting somewhere between 2-2.5 lift, so I can suggest to make it very close to the stock arm measurement as starting point, in my case with OME and 3/4" spacer, the front lower were 16.2" and the upper were 1" less and the rear lower 1.5" more than the front lower, by that you will be pretty close.

Sent from ME

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
veiri86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

I do not know if it has ever been discussed here, but I think most shops set the length of the arms by measuring the angle of the drive shafts. I know when I had my 4" lift put on the shop that did it wasn't very good and I had vibration problems in the rear drive shaft. Took it to another shop where they checked the angle and found it off. I had a xfer case drop that I had bought and when they installed that it brought the angle to what it should have been and no more vibrations.

Maybe someone here knows what the angles should be and can chime in, or possible do a google search and see what you can come up with.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric View Post
I do not know if it has ever been discussed here, but I think most shops set the length of the arms by measuring the angle of the drive shafts. I know when I had my 4" lift put on the shop that did it wasn't very good and I had vibration problems in the rear drive shaft. Took it to another shop where they checked the angle and found it off. I had a xfer case drop that I had bought and when they installed that it brought the angle to what it should have been and no more vibrations.

Maybe someone here knows what the angles should be and can chime in, or possible do a google search and see what you can come up with.
I agree with you, and this is how I set my arms measurements, it took me few trials and errors till I got there. So if you start from my actual measurements you will be there or very close. Concerning the angle measurments, it depends on which driveshaft style you have.

Have a look at this:

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/pinionangle/

Sent from ME

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veiri86 View Post
I agree with you, and this is how I set my arms measurements, it took me few trials and errors till I got there. So if you start from my actual measurements you will be there or very close. Concerning the angle measurments, it depends on which driveshaft style you have.

Have a look at this:

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/pinionangle/

Sent from ME
That sounds like a good idea. If I install 3/4 in spacers in the future will I have to readjust all my control arms to accomodate the extra height?
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

Can anyone tell me what the shims are for? AFAIK I just adjust the CA to its length, tighten the nut with some Loctite and install it right?
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
veiri86

2003 WJ 

You mean the thick washers? The control arm non adjustable end is smaller than the designated place in the mounting bracket, so I put one washer on each side to fit the arm end inside the mounting bracket, this is how I did it.

Sent from ME

Unread 03-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

I got my 2 rear lowers on yesterday with less frustration than I expected. I guess it doesn't matter which end goes on the axle or frame? I put the adjusting side in the frame mount to try and keep it away from rocks. It looked too vulnerable on the axle side.
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Quote:
I got my 2 rear lowers on yesterday with less frustration than I expected. I guess it doesn't matter which end goes on the axle or frame? I put the adjusting side in the frame mount to try and keep it away from rocks. It looked too vulnerable on the axle side.
Adjustable end goes in the frame, that's correct

Sent from ME

Unread 03-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veiri86 View Post
Adjustable end goes in the frame, that's correct

Sent from ME
Whew! Huge relief. Does this apply to all the arms up front as well?
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Quote:

Whew! Huge relief. Does this apply to all the arms up front as well?
Yes, as I know all IRO adjustable arms, the adjustable end goes in the frame

Sent from ME

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.