A horrible Story. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A horrible Story.

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 10-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
murdock127

A horrible Story.

Hello all,
I had to make a new account on here because my old account i couldn't access anymore. Im mjWJ12

Anyways i have a story to tell about what happened to my jeep recently.
I go to take my jeep home from work the other day and my chip in my key wouldn't register so i call my insurance company to get a tow to the local locksmith so they can cut me a new key with chip. I wait almost a hour before the tow tuck gets there we start to hook up my jeep but the tow guy doesn't hook it from the front but he hooks from the rear, so i ask him why he is doing so and he says his boss like it to be done that way. Me not going to argue with him shruggs and says ok but i figure "that's his job he knows what he is doing". but for safety precaution he ties a bungee cord around my steering wheel so that is dosnst move. WHATEVER. So to start on our 5 mile journey to the locksmith and we almost get there with no issues i hear my tires screech and something clunk from the front of my axle. We both get out and look under the jeep but seeing the physically damaged and we continue slowly another 1 mile to where he drops me off. We unhook my jeep and he starts to do the paper and wants me to sign off that we heard a noise but the company isn't responsible for any damage. I look at him and i didn't feel comfortable signing something like when i couldn't ever test the jeep to see if it is damaged or not. and i couldn't test it either because the key still needed to be made and that would take an hour or so, the tow guy was't going to wait around for that but he needed my signature. So like an idiot to get the tow guy out of there i signed the paperwork but told him if there is still something wrong with it i would call my insurance company.
So after the hour it took to get my key cut i start to take my jeep home. as im driving my jeep starts to pull to the left and to the right on its own. So im thinking **** ill have to get an alignment. But no, as i get further i start to hear a clunking noise so i pull over thinking my bearing are destroyed. as i get closer to my house the sound just gets worse. so i pull into a auto shop close to my house and he puts the jeep up and lifts the front end up and starts to spin the tires and only the one starts to spin..... then something the other would catch for a second. Come to find out. The tow guy destroyed my gears and axle components. well at least that is what i think happened. IM SO PISSED! I called my insurance and filled a claim to make sure im not the one to get charged with the busted axle.
FML

murdock127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
derekmac

2002 WJ 

Sorry to hear that, but if the t-case was in neutral, then I don't think anything should have happened. It could just be coincidence that it happened at the time of towing.
Future: 4" lift and lockers

Build thread.
http://www.gofundme.com/d8jlwo
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Murdock what T case do you have? I know they can be flat towed with the T case in N and the trans in park but it looks like if you lift one end or the other you should put dollies under the two wheels on the ground. To be sure look in your owners manual.

FOUR-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLE TOWING

DaimlerChrysler Corporation recommends that a 4WD vehicle be transported on a flat-bed device. A Wheel-lift device can be used provided the trailing wheels are off the ground and positioned in tow dollies.

WARNING: WHEN TOWING A DISABLED VEHICLE AND THE DRIVE WHEELS ARE SECURED IN A WHEEL LIFT OR TOW DOLLIES, ENSURE THE TRANSMISSION IS IN THE PARK POSITION.

FOUR WHEEL DRIVE TOWING-REAR END LIFTED

WARNING: ENSURE VEHICLE IS ON A LEVEL SURFACE OR THE WHEELS ARE BLOCKED TO PREVENT VEHICLE FROM ROLLING.
Attach wheel lift device to front wheels.
Place the transmission in neutral.
Raise the front of the vehicle off the ground and install tow dollies under front wheels.
Attach wheel lift device to rear wheels and raise vehicle to towing position.
Attach safety chains. Route chains so not to interfere with tail pipe when vehicle is lifted.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position to unlock the steering wheel.
CAUTION: Do not use steering column lock to secure steering wheel during towing operation.

Secure steering wheel in straight ahead position with a clamp device designed for towing.
Place transmission in park.
Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
murdock127

We had the 4WD in N.... and the PArking brake on.
Like i said, i didn't want to argue with the guy because thats his job. He should know what he is doing...right?
Unread 10-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
derekmac

2002 WJ 

No. I knew a guy that used to do towing, and he damaged just about every vehicle he towed.

Build thread.
Unread 10-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Acc0919mc
2000 WJ 

My firiends transmission went out on his 2001 ford expedition and the guy that towed it used the CV joints to tether the vehicle down, it completely destroyed them
Acc0919mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
murdock127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acc0919mc View Post
My firiends transmission went out on his 2001 ford expedition and the guy that towed it used the CV joints to tether the vehicle down, it completely destroyed them
This is for all. What axles are easy to swap. Might as well upgrade right?
Unread 10-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Dang man.

Always Use a Flatbed wrecker for your jeep when towing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Contact an attorney. I'm definitely not one, but I do recall something about signing a paper under duress is not legally binding.
Scrmngchicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
jdonahoe6
1999 WJ 

What transfer case do you have? What year is your jeep? The quadra trac needs a flatbed or dollies, selec trac in 2hi can be towed with the rear wheels lifted and the front wheels rolling on the ground provided the steering wheel is secured
jdonahoe6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
fiveseven15
2000 WJ 

one thing people need to remember. NEVER SIGN ANYTHING you're not comfortable with. if theres an issue or dispute, have the other party write it in, and have them sign before you sign, and cross out the 'waiver of liability' part. or just flat out refuse to sign. i dont care how much headache it causes for the other guy. by signing, that is just giving ME the headache they caused.

i hope you get everything squared away. if your insurance is good, they can get the tow comapny to pay up, or they will pay for it..
fiveseven15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
murdock127

Thanks for everyones input! I have USAA and there are calling me now about it. And everyone is right, i shouldn't have signed that paper. but i looks like chicken scratch anyways. Does a destroyed axle constitute a totaling?
Unread 10-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
murdock127

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock127 View Post
Thanks for everyones input! I have USAA and there are calling me now about it. And everyone is right, i shouldn't have signed that paper. but i looks like chicken scratch anyways. Does a destroyed axle constitute a totaling?
Plus the tow guy said he would charge me an extra 20$ for the dolly, and then he saw that it can be in N so he said not to worry about it.
Unread 10-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #14
derekmac

2002 WJ 

You still haven't answered which t-case you have. I can only assume it's not a 242 by what happened. I think that with any 4x4 vehicle, whoever is towing it should have all wheels off the ground just to be safe.

Definitely go after them and try and get them to pay to fix it. No, I really don't think that it'll be a write off just because of the axle.

Build thread.
Unread 10-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #15
mustang67ford

I have a 99 with selec trac and 4.0. Where do you put the t-case and transmission if you get a friend to drag you if broken down? Obviously, the tranny goes in neutral. And, does it make a difference if the vehicle is running?
mustang67ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.