Horn stuck on? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Horn stuck on?

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 08-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
dutch724
2002 WJ 

Horn stuck on?

It was a rainy night yesterday. I didn't drive the Jeep in the rain at all, but it was sitting outside all night. At about 12:30 am the horn just came on and wouldn't go off. It was a steady blowing of the horn, like you just hit a tree or something. I turned the alarm off and back on, nothing worked. I got into the Jeep and started it and the horn didn't skip a beat still going off. I was half asleep and wanted to get back to bed instead of standing in my drive way in my underwear while it is sprinkling on me. I just disconnected the battery and went back to bed. Morning came, so I rode my bike and still haven't dealt with the problem yet, Battery is still disconnected.
I'm looking for suggestions as to the direction I should start looking into to find the problem? horn relay, clockspring, horn needs to be replaced, any tests I can do.

Thx fellas!!

dutch724 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Is it beeping or just "HOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRNNNNNNNNN"?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
ddtwdmb
1999 WJ 

He said it didn't skip a beat so I'm guessing its just a solid straight uninterrupting noise. I don't have an answer but mine has had issues before while driving. I pulled up to a stop sign one time full of people and my horn just came on by itself and stayed on for about 20 sec straight. I know people thought I was just being an *** but I tried to just hold my hands up in the air. Either way, I never figured out what it was but it finally stopped and has happened only once since then, that was about a year ago.
ddtwdmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Could be anything really, something could be messed up with the pos/neg wire to the horn.

I would just take the fuse out. Im pretty sure there is a fuse for the horn. Pretty much every car has one just for the horn.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
roadcrew
1999 WJ 

sorry I cant help but you reminded me of a good practical joke.
jump the brake light or turn signal to the horn on a buddys vehicle.
roadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
pittdogg
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcrew View Post
sorry I cant help but you reminded me of a good practical joke.
jump the brake light or turn signal to the horn on a buddys vehicle.
Haha that's good!

Anyways there is a relay in the fuse box next to the battery maby swap it with another to see if that's it? Gd luck
pittdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
dutch724
2002 WJ 

Yeah, it is just a steady hooooooooorrrrrrrrrnnnnnnn blow. I got home from work and connected the battery back up and unlocked and locked the doors with the remote and it seemed fine. later that evening i went out to the store and locked the jeep as i walked away from it and the horn beeped once then just started going off again. I walked back to the jeep unlocked it and popped the hood and disconnected the battery. When i came out of the store i connected the battery and all seemed fine, but just for good measure I pulled the horn relay. Of course the next day I get behind someone that doesn't go at a green light and I have no horn to blow........ so I yelled but their windows were up. so I sat thru the light again! gotta love it!
Anyone think it might be the clockspring? I have no lights or codes to tell me anything.
Unread 08-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
Brandonsdad02
2000 WJ 

If your cruise works then it doesn't sound like a clock spring. Doesn't your clock spring supply the power to your steering wheel?
Brandonsdad02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
dutch724
2002 WJ 

Cruise seems to work fine.
Would it be the horn is trying to tell me there is something else wrong? Has anyone ever had the relay on a horn go bad?
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
2001WJv8
1983 CJ7 

"When horns go bad" - new series on MSNBC tonight

no idea, but interested in the cause just in case this happens to me someday ....
2001WJv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
dutch724
2002 WJ 

Here is an update.
It has been a while since the horn problem came up. I still have no engine codes telling me anything that was not working correctly. I have since put the horn relay back into place and haven't had a problem out of it since. Go figure!
Another werid one: The other night I was out late on my motorcycle and when I came home and was putting my bike away and noticed that the jeep turned on its headlights for about 2 secs, while the alarm was still on and the red light was blinking on the dash and then turned the lights off by themselves. My wife just said I must have some kind of connection with the Jeep. I have no idea, anyone else experience this?
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
donaldbc
1999 WJ 

Did you ever figure it out ?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
donaldbc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
dutch724
2002 WJ 

Ya know, I never did.

But I'm going to say the horn thing might be attached to the master windows control and door locks on the drivers door. Cause I still the an intermittent problem with the interior lights not coming on when I open the door. I have already replaced the door latch with a new one and nothing changed. Sometimes the door might think its open and cause the horn to go off..... Idk I'm guessing. Only happened that one time. I have also noticed that if the passenger windows controls aren't lite up then they have lost connection with the jeep and the remote fob won't work. I think that goes bask to the drivers side window controls.
If u have an idea throw it at me at this point i will try anything. I'm just happy I have no trouble codes.
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #14
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Definitely sounds like a short to power. If you know how to read a wiring diagram, heres one. I know it's not everything, but it might help get you started somewhere on finding out where that short is.
wj-horn-circuit.jpg  
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #15
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Also, I believe this is the WJ diagram

EDIT: Click it, otherwise it looks stupid. Just that it was saved as a gif like that. my apologies
0996b43f802393db.gif  
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.