Hitch Tire Carrier? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hitch Tire Carrier?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Ender42
1999 WJ 

Hitch Tire Carrier?

Does anyone know of any aftermarket tire carriers that go into the 2" receiver hitch?

[B][SIZE="4"]76 CJ7[/SIZE][/B], 4.2l I-6, 2 inch body lift

[B]Greater love has no man than this, than he who lay down his life for his friends.[/B]
Ender42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

I know a couple of guys have built them themselves
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
MudPit
2001 WJ 

Most hitch companies make them. I know for sure...Curt, Hitch-Gate, Draw-Tite.
Unread 06-20-2010, 05:29 AM   #4
Bl@ck06Rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here you go....

Hitch Gate 3
Bl@ck06Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

I made one for my ZJ and I was going to make and sell them but screw it...the guy that helped flaked out on me and taking an accounting it just isn't worth it. I'm going to redo mine using a trailer axle and it will workr way better than the one I have now. Also I am going to much heavier tubing.

Quick pic of mine...

NEVADAGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Ender42
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVADAGARY View Post
I made one for my ZJ and I was going to make and sell them but screw it...the guy that helped flaked out on me and taking an accounting it just isn't worth it. I'm going to redo mine using a trailer axle and it will workr way better than the one I have now. Also I am going to much heavier tubing.

Quick pic of mine...

your planning on making a new one? how much would you want for that one? it looks great

[B]Greater love has no man than this, than he who lay down his life for his friends.[/B]
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

I will probably use parts of it for the new one so I can't very well sell it. It does work good tough and has been bounced around and trail tested and hasn't failed. It isn't that hard to make. Hell I even made an anti rattle device. I have a 33" tire mounted on it.

Let me think about it...maybe I will just sell it and start from scratch. I know the commerically made ones start about $500-$600.
Unread 06-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

This time I'm doing it right. I'm using 2" heavy wall tubing and an pivot axle made by Kro Built.
Here's the start.
Bottom tube that gets welded to the receiver with the axle sitting in place. You can see the dust cap in the plastic bag above the tube.

The axle and shaft. I machined the shaft to 1.00" and relieved the bottom to 7/8 so I can wiggle it perfectly straight and perpendicular and then tack it in place. It will protrude about 1/4 inch below the tube for a great weld.

Close up of the nut and the bearings. Just regular tapered roller bearings...sorry about the fuzzy pic.
Unread 06-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Ender42
1999 WJ 

wish i had mechanical skill like that

Unread 06-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender42 View Post
wish i had mechanical skill like that
And I wish I had someone else to do it for me....but
Unread 06-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

And the beat goes on...

I don't mean to hijack your thread so if you want me to stop posting about my carrier I will.

Here's my setup to weld the pivot pin in place...god I love V blocks.

Cutting the 1-1/8" radius with an inexpensive Lennox 2-1/4" bi metal hole saw. It made short work of the 1/4" wall tubing. Very pleased.

Almost ready for weld. I just need to chamfer the tube so the weld will penetrate deeper.
Unread 06-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
Ender42
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVADAGARY View Post
I don't mean to hijack your thread so if you want me to stop posting about my carrier I will.

Here's my setup to weld the pivot pin in place...god I love V blocks.

Cutting the 1-1/8" radius with an inexpensive Lennox 2-1/4" bi metal hole saw. It made short work of the 1/4" wall tubing. Very pleased.

Almost ready for weld. I just need to chamfer the tube so the weld will penetrate deeper.
Nah post away bro im interested on how your building it

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.