Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hissing From/Near Radiator failed emissions.

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ratmonkey 
#1 ·
Hey guys so I'm having a problem and I'm not really sure if it is actually a problem or what. I bought this v8 jeep grand cherokee 2000. It runs fine without overheating. My problems are these:
1) There is a hiss that sounds like it's coming from or near the radiator on the passenger side by the battery. It starts and stops with the engine. At first I wasn't worried about it, but my Jeep failed emmissions and I think that it might have some cooling issues (or bad gas). The hiss started when I replaced my heater core (I think). Some coolant spilled out when I was reatatching the hoses (it had been bypassed). I started it up and soon the coolant tank was empty so I filled it up. to the full line. I let it run for a while came back out and then the coolant was above the full line. I figured this must mean that there is some air in the line. so i took off the radiator cap and let it run some more. But I guess that didn't work. So it's still hissing and when I take the radiator cap off theres coolant/antifieeze threatening to overflow. I've been through the threads and some suggestions I found are: run the engine with the raditor cap off on a hill and also that it could be a disconnected vaccume hose under the battery. Anyway, thoughts or suggestions to fix the hiss would be sweet.
2) the battery dies pretty quickly. 3 days or so. Its a new battery and new alternator. I checked the amp draw with the igniton off and it was about 1A. I just installed a towing harness and a brake controller. It had died before that, but i think it dies faster now. But also i tried to remove the fuses to check what circuit there could be a problem with and when I pull the tow one out the amp draw Increased to about 4 amps. I have no idea what that means.
SO answers to those to issues would be sweet. And suggestions on how to pass emissions (I failed all catagories) (and its not the CAT) would be welcome.
Oh easy question too, what kind of gas milage is normal? And how do you tell the "up-country suspension" from the standard one?
Thanks a ton,
~Julius
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Limited w/ 120k miles

See less See more
#2 ·
Hissing sound is most likely the vacuum reservoir under the battery. Or the line going to it.

Double check the wiring for the harness, did you use a factory harness? Aftermarket can screw things up if you arent dead careful/sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.